Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Clearview windshield - vented??

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  John D 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm new to Burgmans. Last 4 bikes were Goldwings. Bought a 2009 650. Love it. Looking for opinions regarding Clearview windshields. I will buy the XXX, should it be with a vent or not? I'm 6'2", ride the back roads, and live in MN . Thanks for your comments

#2 ·
I'd be very careful with that tall screen riding the twists...It's unlikely you can see over it.
Talk to Clearview - they are very helpful
I'm 5' 10" and got their smallest screen which is 1.5" higher than stock and 3" wider.
Even that I find a tad too high at it's lowests setting on the Exec but it's "okay".
Otherwise fabulous screen.

You are 4" taller....i'd certainl not get the very tallest ...but maybe one of the middle ones.

GT Medium 26.5" L 1.5" Vertically Taller < what I have and find it a tad to tall on the exec but only by a bit.

GT Large 28" L 2.5" Vertically Taller

GT X-Large 29.5" L 3.5" Vertically Taller

GT XX-Large 33" L 5.5" Vertically Taller - I think that's way too tall.

Talk to them ...they are very personable and talk to other Clearview owners here.

I'd get a vent based on my experience with the ST1100 which had twin vents and was burble free even at 150 kph.

#3 · (Edited)
Looking through the screen might not be a problem when it's clean.

Ad a dozen or more squashed insects, riding against the sun or oncoming car's lights, or rain, you can't see through it anymore.

I' look through my tall Giwi screen and hope I can swap it for a shorter version.

Oh, and a went + a shorter screen gives much less turbulence than a tall screen without a vent.

#4 ·
I would recommend getting the vent. I find they do help with riding in warm weather. They also help with back pressure issues that can occur when riding behind a large windshield. I have the vent installed in the Clearview windshields on both my 400 and 650 and don't regret the extra cost at all.

As for the size and looking through or over the windshield, that is your decision to make. I prefer to have one I can see over if need be for safety reasons but you may not. What I will advise though is that the mounting bracket on the 650 is not designed to provide support for a really tall windshield. That can lead to flexing of the shield and eventual cracking. I've seen the top half of a Clearview XXL snap clean off when hit by a strong wind gust from a truck passing. I also saw a GIVI which is almost as tall as the Clearview XXL snap off in a similar situation. For that reason alone I would not go any taller than the large or maybe the XL if you want to push it.

#5 ·
I have an XL Clearview tinted with the vent on my 09' 650 and I think it's great. I'm 6' tall and I can see over it or look thru it. The vent is nice when the weather's hot and you want the air. It kind of allows you to have the advantages of a larger screen and still have the air when you want it. My Burgman has the tinted & vented model, while I also own a Silverwing that has the clear shield and no vent. I prefer the one I have on my Burgman.

#6 ·
Op what Buffalo said is very valid.

I did not like the flexing of even the small Givi screen ( sold it right away - for a variety of reasons ) and even the standard Clearview flexs on the mount when the screen is full up on the exec.

Suzuki has redesigned the mount last year so they know there was a risk in heavy wind and buffeting of cracks and mounting issues.

Heavy wind I keep the exec screen locked right down and it's fine.

I'd say an XL with a vent would work.
Riding in twists you really need to see the road over the screen and of course in misty rain looking through a screen is bloody dangerous in my view.

I'd never ride a machine I could not easily see over the screen.

#7 ·
I have the XXL with the vent and love it. Looking through the windshield takes a bit of getting use to but soon become second nature. Cuts out all the Wind buffeting. If needed, I can sit up straight and see over the top

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.