Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wrote to Craig about the measurements of the windshields, pertaining to the large and xlarge. Here is his response:

The measurements are as follows: Large--- 28"H + 3" ea side, X-Large-----29.5"H + 3" ea side

now, the stock shield measures ~25" long.
I hope this info helps anyone who is contiplating buying a clearview.
I am 5'7" with a 31" inseam. Craig told me that a large would work for me, being as I wanted to look through the shield. I figure, if it is a wee bit too tall, I can always cut it down a bit.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tape both side with masking tape where you want to make the cut.
use a very fine tooth blade on a jig saw, cut very slowly as not to creat alot of heat build up that will "melt" the plastic.
When you are done, use a very fine sand paper to sand down the rough edges.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just to add to what wilder days wrote,
a variable speed saw works best, and you can use a metal cutting blade

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
amt135a said:
just ordered clearview windshield xxl with vent there is a three week backorder
I also ordered an XXL with a vent today. The 3 week backorder is rather typical with Clearview. They are a relatively small company that makes windshields for a wide variety of motorcycles. So they have to schedule their assembly line production based on incoming orders. I have also found that they miss their projected dates sometimes. But when you do get the product it is very good quality, and it works better than most competitive products. They did give me a 10% discount because this is about the third windscreen I have purchased from them. I only had to beg a little bit. :wink:

I was unhappy with the last XXL I bought for the Burgman 650 for several reasons. It dropped my fuel mileage, reduced high speed acceleration, and I sweltered behind it on hot days. So I sold it and went with a much smaller windscreen. The vent should take care of one issue - I'll get some cooling air this time. I went for a ride this morning in a rather nasty wind and my arms & helmet were getting buffeted pretty bad. I told myself it is time to get comfortable despite the mileage drop that it will cause. I'm going to keep the smaller windscreen though just in case I want to swap them occasionally.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ok Paul,
spill the beans...

How tall are ya? And why did you choose the XXL? Based on what wilder days was saying, I might go for a Large. I am 5-10 and also want to look through the glass for the most part, but also be able to look over it if I should straighten up. And like you, I got real tired real fast of the head knockin the wind causes. I am willing to give up 5mph to have a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Paul, I've been utterly satisfied with the tilt-back procedure (modified from your tilt-forward). If you find that you look through the shield (I think you said before that you did, but didn't like to), give it a try. I'm actually getting better gas mileage now than I did with the stock setup. 8) The top of mine is (guessing here) 7~10 inches closer to me than standard mounting, and by sitting straight up, I can easily see over it. I suspect that you won't have to move it as much, being some 3 or 4 inches taller than me, so your mileage probably won't be as high.

Steve

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I am 6' 6" tall, and I've never met a windshield I couldn't look over (including my previous XXL Clearview).

Steve,

The tilt outward did make a big improvement with my smaller windscreen. In moderate conditions, I like that setup. However we often have wind conditions here in the plains states that go well beyond moderate... I probably will play with both tilt in and tilt out with the new XXL to see what works best for me. I'm going to try it without shimming first though - maybe I'll get lucky. And if I can learn to keep my right wrist out of the throttle a bit, maybe the performance & mileage hits won't be as severe.

Bottom line is that I'm bored with my current setup and need to experiment again. :roll:

·
Registered
367 Posts
pauljo said:
It dropped my fuel mileage, reduced high speed acceleration, and I sweltered behind it on hot days.
Paul, do you ride with your Givi box all the time? I found that if I leave the box (52) off and only use it when I know I will either need it or that the wife is coming, then I REALLY need it, my mileage isn't all that bad.
There is a drop but if I stick the box on it is kind of like driving a pickup without a cover or a cap. Big sail that slows me down and cost in mileage preformance.
Now this is all seat of the pants and very unscientific since I really don't care about the mileage, the fun is worth way more than my gas bill

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Sails,

If you search the forum you might find the tests that I did last Spring. I found that the Givi trunk imposed much less of a penalty than the large windscreens did. Once you have an oversized windshield mounted, adding the Givi trunk dropped gas mileage less than 1 mpg.

Yes, I use the Givi trunk on every ride. It is where I stow my riding gear when I stop anywhere. I also like having the additional reflective surface and brakes lights protecting me from the rear.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Hi Guy's

I was thinking about trying to sell my clearveiw XXL with vent. I don't like all the wind drag I'm getting. But I do love the wind protection. I can ride any speed and not half to put on a face sheild on my helmet. That's nice.
So I've debating back and forth. Guess I'll have too flip a coin. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I have had a different experience with the Clearview W/S. On my current 2003 650 I have a Clearview XXL and a GIVI E52 trunk. On my recent trip to FL and on local trips, I average around 50 MPG. On my first 2003 650 with a GIVI W/S and no trunk, I got 50 mpg???

The individual MPG reports vary so much and there are so many varibles involved, I beginning to question MPG report's utility.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Doug,

Having sold one Clearview XXL myself, and now purchasing another, I'd advise you to keep it. You can always swap the old windshield back onto the scooter for the warmer months. I may end up using my new XXL for just long trips and colder weather. But regardless, I will keep this one until I sell the 650.

·
Registered
270 Posts
roy_ryall said:
I have had a different experience with the Clearview W/S. On my current 2003 650 I have a Clearview XXL and a GIVI E52 trunk. On my recent trip to FL and on local trips, I average around 50 MPG. On my first 2003 650 with a GIVI W/S and no trunk, I got 50 mpg???

The individual MPG reports vary so much and there are so many varibles involved, I beginning to question MPG report's utility.
You know come to think about it. I think since i put on that tall W/S the gas mileage isn't any worst than it was. If anything it may be better. I have that Givi trunk on also. I know on centain fill ups i've been teaseing my wife. That I'm getting allmost as good a gas mileage as her 400. I have machted her mileage on several ocasions and beat her out at least once i can remenber. We thought the 400 might need a tune up. Which is proberly true also. You would think all that wind drag would really knock your gas mileage in the head. But it hasn't. Now if I could just learn how to slow down. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts