Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone interested, I queried Clearview as to when a windshield might be available for 2013 Executive. Following is reply received today:

"|Some good news. We brought a new Burgman into the shop last month to begin the design process. Our hope is to have a windshield for the 2013-14 Burgman in the late summer. Maybe sooner."

·
Registered
243 Posts
Sorry, but I can't believe this for a minute. I first emailed them in July 2013 and basically was told the same thing. Then last November, they said, "Coming Soon". Then in March they said everything was ready except for the black plastic fascia. This May, they said they were still working on it. Now they tell you they just got access to a bike??

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I've got a Clearview shield on my '07, and it's a quality product. The two times I contacted them - once by phone, once by email - they were responsive and helpful.

It is a shame that they have the well-deserved reputation of "overhanging the market" - promising a new product is imminent meant to delay a prospective buyer from going elsewhere.

My guess is they are a small shop with limited R&D resources, and pick & choose their offerings accordingly.

I guess the best you can say about Clearview is they stand by what they have, and fib about what they don't.

(That being said, I hope by the time I get a '13 or '14, Clearview really does have a shield for it - 'cause they are very good).

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wasn't going to wait any longer for Clearview and bought a Givi. I have no complaints with the Givi fit, finish and how it improves the the helmet noise.

But the stupid warning sticker they put on the shield is a little odd. I don't know if the warning means that you should never exceeded 62 mph in strong winds or you should never go faster than 62 mph with the shield installed. If it is the later, then they made a shield that should never have been made for the Burgman 650, 400 or maybe even the 200.

I'm sure it was their lawyers who insisted on the sticker so when it cracks or flies off at 90 mph they can say we told you so and no we won't be paying for your damaged bike, injuries or a new shield.

Strange how there is no mention of this warning anywhere on their website and it isn't until you take it out of the box that you find out about it.:confused: Typical stuff companies do to increase sales, because I'm sure if they told you about the warning most people might be reluctant to buy one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I wasn't going to wait any longer for Clearview and bought a Givi. I have no complaints with the Givi fit, finish and how it improves the the helmet noise.

But the stupid warning sticker they put on the shield is a little odd. I don't know if the warning means that you should never exceeded 62 mph in strong winds or you should never go faster than 62 mph with the shield installed. If it is the later, then they made a shield that should never have been made for the Burgman 650, 400 or maybe even the 200.

I'm sure it was their lawyers who insisted on the sticker so when it cracks or flies off at 90 mph they can say we told you so and no we won't be paying for your damaged bike, injuries or a new shield.

Strange how there is no mention of this warning anywhere on their website and it isn't until you take it out of the box that you find out about it.:confused: Typical stuff companies do to increase sales, because I'm sure if they told you about the warning most people might be reluctant to buy one.
With no explanation as to what strong winds are, I think the warning is pretty useless from a legal standpoint.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Well it looks as though they are aware of the problem that is twofold in the material they use to make their shields is not as hard as the factory one and that the factory mounting doesn't properly support the shield so adding a larger shield concentrates more stress at the poor mounting leading to cracking.

I have cracked two Givi's because I actually ride my bike at high speeds up to the top speed. I believe the main problem is poor placement of the center upper mounting holes and the lack of support above them. This causes the shield to flex right at the center of the mounting hole using the end of the support bracket as a leverage point. Because the replacement shield is longer and of a softer material you have a longer lever to concentrate more force in one point.

I have two new Givi shields to put on my bikes but not until I can arrive at a solution for the poor factory mounting.

FYI from what I can gather this issue isn't unique to Givi as any larger shield adds leverage if ridden at these high end speeds and they always crack from the upper center mount holes.

·
Registered
175 Posts
The thickness of the acrylic used for the Givi windshield is about half as thick as what is used on my BMWs. But the Suzuki stock windshield is the same thickness as the Givi and because of this and the way some of the windshield's plastic frame wraps around the windshield, I guess thicker acrylic can't be used. But thicker acrylic would make the shield bend less at high speed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I'm with Jetfixer, they continued to tell me the same thing, any day now. Vaporware. Sad, because I like their vented design better than the Givi.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ditto on Clearview runaround. I contacted them in March, was told 3-4 weeks for the 13+ 650 windshield. Contacted again them in May, and was told late summer. The bikes been out for well over a year and still nothing. I'm not biting again. When they decide to build one I will decide if I still want it or not. But the longer they wait, the more I make due with the stock shield and the less I feel like I need one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts