Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note to let those of us who have Clearview wind screens with vents on order, they should be in tomorrow, the vents, and our wind screens should be shipped in a day or so.
The information comes from Craig when I checked on my order, it is the waiting thing ... I hate to wait!!! :twisted:

Did I tell you I HATE to wait!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Sails said:
Just a note to let those of us who have Clearview wind screens with vents on order, they should be in tomorrow, the vents, and our wind screens should be shipped in a day or so.
The information comes from Craig when I checked on my order, it is the waiting thing ... I hate to wait!!! :twisted:

Did I tell you I HATE to wait!!!!!
Well me too! And I'm waiting for you folks to get those screens so that you can test them out and report back to us! :wink:

Really curious about the effectiveness of that vent....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have I told you I HATE waiting!!!!! :x

Just so you know, I hate WAITING!!!!!! :evil:

I promise to post my impressions. I think that your questions, Paul, are about air temperature and back pressure since, if I remember correctly, you have an unvented XXL. As well, you would be one of the few people I would have to look up to. I am only 6'3", so I would be telling you to sit down if you came into my 'space'!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Or calling you Sir! :oops:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Naw, I just have an older Large Clearview right now. Sold the XXL - too much wind drag effect for my tastes. The current screen is shimmed out at the top and has SAENG micro-swirl edging. It works OK under some wind conditions, but doesn't do as well when I'm riding into a headwind. Need just a bit more lift. I'm thinking that it might work fine if I could get Corbin to build me a slightly lower seat. I might look into that early next year.

Another alternative might be a Clearview XL with a vent. I like air on my body during the hot weather - the ventless XXL was stifling in the heat. I'm not too worried about cold weather because I have the Gerbing electric gear. So the main thing I want to find out is how much air the vent actually flows toward the rider.

If the vent doesn't flow that much air, the next alternative would be to go for an extension of my current screen with a SAENG Winglet or a Laminar Lip.

Trust me, when it comes to windscreen solutions, being 6'6" is no fun! Being 2 or 3 inches shorter would be quite an advantage. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
I was also told my large with vent would be shipping this Friday.

Being only a bit over 6' I hope this does it for me. The buffeting at 70mph is quite tiring after awhile.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Looking forward to hearing how the vented clearview shields work out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update!!
They are shipping! Mine was shipped yesterday, 16th, but I only get it on the 24th!

I have to wait a whole week! But it is in the hands of the UPs people!
Those of you in the US should be getting them soon!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Mine was sent out yesterday as well, I should have it on the 23rd!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
JohnnyDeath said:
Mine was sent out yesterday as well, I should have it on the 23rd!
We expect a detailed report by the 24th then. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
I get a GREAT blast from my Clearview vent and it's directable towards the area of your body you like. I'm 5' 9" and love the XXL. You taller guys in my opinion would want a t least this size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
I ordereed the large, I am 6' but MUCH prefer to look over my windscreen...

If it does not do the job of deflecting the wind to the top of my helmet, as opposed to right in the kisser, I may send it back and get a larger size and deal with looking through...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IT IS HERE!!!!!!!! :blob2: A whole day early!!!

And it is installed! I had it shipped to my office and since we are finally having summer up here in Ottawa, I was driving the bike to the office anyways.
It arrived in a very big box at about noon and I had lost a part by 12:10! But it is installed minus one of the little spacers and it is great!!!!

The vent gives you a nice flow of air and it is directable up and down.
I bought the XXL since I have to deal with customs and duties and brokerage fees, I was only doing this once. If it was too tall I figured that I would cut it but if I got one that was too small I had no way to go.
After having tried the taller OEM one I leaned towards big and so far I am happy with the XXL.
I took it for a drive to try it out and other than having the top edge in my line of sight at times it is great.
For the most part I am looking through the screen but have no problems looking over the top.
The wind just hits the top of my helmet and I found that the vents seem to be working much better with the gentler breeze up there. Of course the front vent on my Sys-Max is going to be dead. This is made up for by my being able to pop my visor without the whistling and roaring that I had with the stock screen.
I had the bike up to 137 kms indicated, about 82 mph, and seemed to pickup some gentle back drafting above 130. It was rather gentle but I could tell it was there. I only did one longish high speed run and I did notice some buffeting as I came up through 122, it could have been just a cross wind that I went through on the highway out here.

So the vent, really nice job, works great, no jacket sucking or flapping, just a very nice gentle cooling positive breeze. The installation of the vent is very nicely done and dosen't look out of place.
I would recommend that if someone is ordering a Clearview of any size that they get the vent. It is well worth the added money and you might as well have the option of the air flow. I don't know whether you could add it to another wind screen or not, Clearview has done a great job with them.
It is bolted on but I wonder whether the curve of another makers wind screen would match up to the vent's curve. I don't have another Clearview to compare to see if they have changed the curature to match the vent.
There is larger than OEM hand protection but it doesn't stop all the bugs from commiting themselves to the great beyond, had one do a very messy job on my left hand at about 130!

Oh, sorry, for reference I am 6' 3" and wear pants witha 32" inseam. For the Canadians my costs were $322.09 Clearview and $85.10 to UPS on delivery for brokerage, GST and PST, all amounts are in Canadian dollars with the Clearview amount being $242.43 US @ 0.752680 for a total of $407.19.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Sails said:
IT IS HERE!!!!!!!! :blob2: A whole day early!!!

And it is installed! I had it shipped to my office and since we are finally having summer up here in Ottawa, I was driving the bike to the office anyways.
It arrived in a very big box at about noon and I had lost a part by 12:10! But it is installed minus one of the little spacers and it is great!!!!

The vent gives you a nice flow of air and it is directable up and down.
I bought the XXL since I have to deal with customs and duties and brokerage fees, I was only doing this once. If it was too tall I figured that I would cut it but if I got one that was too small I had no way to go.
After having tried the taller OEM one I leaned towards big and so far I am happy with the XXL.
I took it for a drive to try it out and other than having the top edge in my line of sight at times it is great.
For the most part I am looking through the screen but have no problems looking over the top.
The wind just hits the top of my helmet and I found that the vents seem to be working much better with the gentler breeze up there. Of course the front vent on my Sys-Max is going to be dead. This is made up for by my being able to pop my visor without the whistling and roaring that I had with the stock screen.
I had the bike up to 137 kms indicated, about 82 mph, and seemed to pickup some gentle back drafting above 130. It was rather gentle but I could tell it was there. I only did one longish high speed run and I did notice some buffeting as I came up through 122, it could have been just a cross wind that I went through on the highway out here.

So the vent, really nice job, works great, no jacket sucking or flapping, just a very nice gentle cooling positive breeze. The installation of the vent is very nicely done and dosen't look out of place.
I would recommend that if someone is ordering a Clearview of any size that they get the vent. It is well worth the added money and you might as well have the option of the air flow. I don't know whether you could add it to another wind screen or not, Clearview has done a great job with them.
It is bolted on but I wonder whether the curve of another makers wind screen would match up to the vent's curve. I don't have another Clearview to compare to see if they have changed the curature to match the vent.
There is larger than OEM hand protection but it doesn't stop all the bugs from commiting themselves to the great beyond, had one do a very messy job on my left hand at about 130!

Oh, sorry, for reference I am 6' 3" and wear pants witha 32" inseam. For the Canadians my costs were $322.09 Clearview and $85.10 to UPS on delivery for brokerage, GST and PST, all amounts are in Canadian dollars with the Clearview amount being $242.43 US @ 0.752680 for a total of $407.19.
Sails, do you sit straight up in the saddle or kind of lean back against the butt pad? I'm 6' 3", inseam 32" and need a different windscreen.Can't decide whether to look over[better vision], or through the screen[ quieter, warmer in cold weather]. Just talked to my Harley buddy and he recommends the top edge of the screen to be right at eye level-you then look through it when it's nice out, but if it's foggy or raining, you can look over it. Billy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Billy, I sit straight upish. My butt is solid against the pad and the pad is all the way back.
As to where on the screen I see, sitting straight up I see just over the screen, relaxed I see through the screen. So I would be just what your Harley buddy is recommending.
As to what I like, quiet is good. As to being warmer, I don't know how much warmer it is. It was pretty cool this morning and I didn't wear enough so it took till lunch time for me to warm up after I got to the office!

I am very happy with the Clearview XXL. I had bought it as it is the biggest and I could cut it down if I wasn't happy but I ain't doin any cutting, no way, no how.
There is some back pressure at higher speeds and with the right wind conditions it can increase to be quite a bit of pressure on the helmet.
There are some parts of my route that are kind of strange wind wise, an expressway with sound reducing panels and some wind tunnel stuff but if I keep the speed below 130 kms (78 mph) indicated the pressure is fine.

As other people have noted, it is a big piece of plastic that you will be pushing and I think that you will find some pressure on the bike. The sound panels and wind tunnel effects that I experience on our Queensway were a little strange and disconcerting at first but I don't even notice them any more. I just relax and enjoy the ride and don't worry about the little twitches that happen every now and then.
It is no different than any other windy situation and being able to hear myself think as well as the reduced helmet pressure/jiggling is great.
Gas mileage is reduced but I am still getting high fortys to low 50s on a bike that has 2400 miles on it.

I hope that this helps, unfortunately there is no way to do this other than trial and error, hopefully no too many of those. As well what I find comfortable others may not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
I bought the large Clearview with vent.

Following instructions found in the forum installation using the OEM hardware was a snap (I put all included hardware away).

I went with the large as I MUCH prefer to look over the screen and I need some wind I ride. Do not want "dead air" (though the vent would probably make up for that).

Clearview's large screen has made highway trips much more enjoyable.

It has reduced helmet the buffeting by about 70%. The wind is no longer ripping the lips from my face when I wear my half size helmet and my hands are better shielded. The jet stream hits the top half of my helmet giving me better airflow through the vents.

The screen looks great, the optics are perfect and the vent is nice for directing some extra air at my body, but was probably not as necessary on the large size as it would be on the xl or xxl.

Ive had it on for two weeks and milage is unchanged. The past couple of 40degree mornings I was wondering if maybe an XXL would be a good addition for winter, but switching to the full face helmet and planning to pick up a Gerbing liner and gloves should do the trick.


I will try to get some pics posted this week. Need to give the scoot a bath first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would figure that the full face helmet and the heated parts would be so much better than an XXL. You have almost the same coverage as I do and I don't think that little bit more would be as good as heated gloves, socks, pants, underwear and jacket. Feel free to throw in anything that I forgot!

Looking through, over, under, where the wind hits is choice that is different from one to another. There is no answer that is going to be perfect for every rider. So every choice/answer is correct. Whatever keeps that s..t eating grin on your face as you zoom down the road is the right answer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,164 Posts
Is the width of the Clearview large, xl and xxl all the same, what is the heighth of large and xl. I messed up my xxl now have to get a new one. When i got my xxl, I cut 5in off it but it was in my line of sight, so i got Micro swirl edging, cut of another 2in, now is no good. Micro swirl edge did not do anything for it, same on as off. I had the windshield 90% suitable before I added the micro swirl. If any one wants the micro swirl pay shipping and you can have it , going in the trash can, 5 ft long. I am looking for a Clearview same width as xxl, but 4in shorter. Wayne
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would call Craig at Clearview and tell him what you are looking for, they could most likely do it right there for you.
I don't have the email anymore with all the measurements for the different models. I will go out and measure the lenght and width of mine later but if you email them they have a set of measurements that are pretty complete for all the models.
 
1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Top