·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading about creating vents in
the Clearview screens. How would I go
about doing that and what would I gain
from such a modification? Does it reduce
or eliminate buffeting and backpressure?

I have a Lg CV screen and notice more of
both plus some pretty lousy gas mileage.
I like having the wind out of my face and
off my hands but I'm not sure its worth it.
The mpg issue is complicated by riding
mostly around town.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Rick,

I'd hazard a guess that a vent would help with the back pressure and provides some air to cool you without additional buffeting of a shorter shield. I don't see a vent helping at all where MPG is concerned. You still have a big 'air sail' providing wind resistance that's hurting you fuel economy.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I doubt that it would make much difference with back pressure either, although I haven't found that to be a problem with my own Lg Clearview. Mine is an early model without the handwings though.

The vent is an option that Clearview installs when you order a new shield. I don't think it is user installable in a shield that came without one. You might call Clearview to ask though.

Jac Vinson told me via email that he has a user installable vent in the works. I'm not sure if it is for the stock windscreen only - or if it would work for your Clearview. You could email him and ask. His email address is [email protected]

·
Registered
367 Posts
The vents are Honda or Honda type vents. The same as what they are installing on Goldwing wind screens. This comes from Craig at Clearview, we had a discussion about the vents and I asked if they were similar and he rattled off part numbers and stuff saying that they were the same models.
The wind screen design would be different but if you stop by a Honda dealership they would have information as to whether you can order them. I know that Clearview is ordering them from outside as when I ordered mine they were out of stock. He expected them in intime for my order and I haven't heard differently ... yet.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Rick said:
[snip]

mostly around town
Rick

I would have thought the aerodynamics would impact less in that useage, with say average speed - what 30-40mph? - so you should not be seeing a significant penalty. Now at 55+ deffo.

Is it possible something else is responsible for wasting fuel?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Rick said:
I've been reading about creating vents in
the Clearview screens. How would I go
about doing that and what would I gain
from such a modification? Does it reduce
or eliminate buffeting and backpressure?

mostly around town.

Hey fellow Oceanside guy. Must be YOU I see running around on that other Silver? I have the XXL and also have WAY too much backpressure blowing directly into my ears from behind now. Let me know if you discover a fix! Ruins the fun for me too! Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts