Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Clearview Screen

5K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  monty 
#1 ·
Looking for some feedback from owners of the Clearview screen for the 650 Burg. Thinking of getting the medium size since it appears to be about three inches taller than the stock screen and I like looking over the screen and not through it. Thanks

#2 ·
Hey dabimf, have you contacted Clearview about your shield? If you give them your height and inseam they will recommend what size screen you should use.
I'm ordering my 650 Monday and the next call I'll make will be to Clearview to order a shield. From most of the posts I've read the Clearview is highly recommended. :D

#3 ·
I have had my Clearview since Wednesday. It's a great replacement for stock. The majority of my riding will be 2 up, so Clearview recommended a large. I am 5'8". I was really wanting more air deflection, so I ordered an XL. I got exactly what I wanted....see my post under general discussion. I ordered the tinted shield, which is very light so not to inhibit night driving. I would not hesitate to recommend it to others. Call Clearview and they can let you know which size you need

RIDE ON!

#5 ·
I have the clearview XL. I am 6'2" with a 32 inch inseam. I think they make one size larger shield now, but I think this one fits me about right. I barely see over it, and almost all wind is off me except a little that hits me right above the eyes when I sit upright. I see just over the top of the shield. 90% of the wind is off my hands.

DonRich - I have plenty of clearance by the mirrors. Not sure, but it may have been the 400 that had that problem. I have the 650.

I might have gotten the larger shield if it were available at the time, but i'm awfully happy with this shield.

I also got the tint and it is very light.

While I noticed some back pressure at first, I don't seem to notice it now. The rare "bend" or flex in the stock shield is not noticeable in the Clearview either.

I recommend them, although i've heard good things about the Givi as well.

#6 ·
DonRich90 said:
Hey ksmall1998, did ya have any problems mounting the shield? Do you have a clearance problem in the mirror areas (some of the other posts said the shield rubbed the mirrors)?
I'm the one with the mirror clearance problem - and it is an xxl shield on a 650. After several discussions with Clearview, they are sending me a replacement windscreen. I think mine was a production fluke. I am hoping to have the new shield Monday.

#7 ·
DonRich90 said:
Hey ksmall1998, did ya have any problems mounting the shield? Do you have a clearance problem in the mirror areas (some of the other posts said the shield rubbed the mirrors)?
Thanks. :D
There is no clearance problem with the XL. It has about 3/8" - 1/2" clearance to the mirror. The only problem with mounting was keeping the rubber mounts from pushing thru. I had to flex the screen so that the mounting screws would not push the mounts thru the plate. I assume that one could have the XXL modified at the bottom to get the needed clearance.....bandsaw...jigsaw or a glass shop.. Otherwise I likey, likey, likey my purchase

#8 ·
The standard mirror clearance is, in fact, exactly what you have (3/8" to 1/2") for all the Clearview sizes - including the XXL. Clearview confirmed that. For some reason, mine came out with only 2mm on one side and 4mm on the other. Clearview is shipping a replacement. I am not going to try and modify the one I have. I shouldn't have to do that. Clearview thinks that the one I have came out of spec a little when cooling - after being removed from the mold.

The important thing is that they do stand behind their product, and will make things right if there is a problem.

Note: If I had been willing to try to fix it myself, they suggested a heat gun, rather than a saw or a file.

#9 ·
pauljo said:
The important thing is that they do stand behind their product, and will make things right if there is a problem.
Paul makes a good point, that they were willing to help when needed and stand behind their product. Craig was helpful during my purchase.

Clearview has been my only replacement shield, but those that have had experience with Clearview and other brands, at least on this forum, tend to prefer the Clearview.

A heatgun? I guess it would soften the plastic so it could be reshapened

RIDE ON!

#13 ·
pauljo:

I'm having a senior momentito here - are you looking through or over your XXL?

If you're looking through it, how's that feel? Are the optics OK?

The windnoise is such a PITA that I'm going to remove the windshield tomorrow, just to see what that's like. The cowl over the instrument panel might act like a sportbike windscreen - I'll find out. As I wear a full face helmet, I'm less concerned about bugs than the noise.

I suspect if I got one I would look through, rather than over, that most, if not all, of the noise would be eliminated.

#14 ·
Ted,

I look over it. My eyes are maybe 2" higher than the top of the screen. I still get some minor wind noise at higher speeds, but no buffeting. And the width of this screen keeps the wind from tugging at my arms. I can ride pretty comfortably in wind that would have annoyed the heck out of me before. The screen also angles back closer to the rider. One of the problems with the stock screen is that it is too far in front of the rider.

The optics are very good. I do have to look down through it often to see road hazards, etc. and there is no distortion. My screen is clear - not tinted. Bear in mind, that Clearview makes this screen in various heights, so I'm sure they have one that would work for you, whether you want to look over or through it.

#16 ·
OK, here's a question I don't think has been brought up (unless I missed it). I have the 400, and I am seriously thinking of changing the windshield. I may wait to see if Clearview does come up with one, as most people here seem to prefer them. I ride frequently two-up. My girl mentioned that it seems that she gets more buffeting then I do as she is higher. If I get a bigger shield, is it going to make it harder for her? I'd hate to see her got knocked off!! :eek:

#17 ·
No Screen

Ted,
I removed my screen a couple of weeks ago & took a ride to Sonoita. I have a full face HJC helmet - wind noise was much quieter than with the OEM shield but I found that the riding position on the 650 doesn't lend itself to riding fully "in the wind" Also, my wife didn't appreciate all the bugs stuck to my jacket when I got back..... :cry:

#20 ·
Kbudl:

I ordered the clearview (Large size) two days ago. I actually thought of
removing the screen and just riding without it, as you did. I'll bet it was a lot quieter without the buffeting.

You said the seating position was not conducive to riding. I assume the upright position, vs the canted forward sportbike position, would cause you to be gripping the handlebars tightly to keep from getting blown backward, which would be fatiguing in short order.

#21 ·
Check this out. Honda has released a Reflex ABS Sport model that comes with a little shorty sport screen.

http://powersports.honda.com/scooters/m ... =NSS250AS4

The Scootin' newsletter has an even better picture of it from the driver's seat. It looks very cool.

One thought I have is that a person could buy a Clearview screen for touring and colder weather use. Then they could take the stock screen and cut it down into a short sport screen for those hot humid months. A screen like this would put your helmet and hands fully into the windflow, and allow your vented jacket to breathe better. But it might take just enough wind pressure off your chest to make the upright riding position bearable. And you would look too cool for your own good riding with it. :wink:

#23 ·
Thanks ksmall and Ted for the info. I just placed my order with Clearview Friday for the xl screen. I am 5'8" and the person at Clearview agreed that the xl was the right screen...he said my view would be on the edge of the screen with the size below xl. It should be here in 2 weeks. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.