Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Clearview windscreen -- gray tint, medium-size, with a vent --for my Skywave 650 a few weeks back. I received it this past weekend and went for a ride with it on, as well as commuted to work with it through city traffic. Here are my thoughts on it.

Quality: Great. The windscreen's plastic twice as thick as the stock screen (and much heavier, which can be viewed as good or bad), and the optical clarity is excellent. The vent was a bit sticky at first, but a little WD-40 took care of that problem.

Fit: Perfect. Bolts right on, just like stock.

Performance: The medium-size screen is probably 2.5 inches or so taller than the stock screen, and quite a bit wider as well (see pic below). A person's size matters tremendously when judging screen performance, so to put things in perspective I'm 5'7'' with a 30'' inseam. There's quite a bit less buffeting noise on the highway. The vent works well both aerodynamically and in terms of cooling Opening it at higher speeds noticeably smooths out the airflow around the bike, and provides welcome cooling as well on hot days at just about any speed. The wind protection for the hands is excellent, in fact, it's too good on hot days. My gloved hands sweat quite a bit because there's no cooling factor from wind hitting them.

Here's a pic of the medium screen compared with the stock screen.

Problems: This is very subjective, however, I feel the medium is too large for someone my size. While its height is the main reason the ride is so much quieter and smoother on the highway, if I sit in my natural slightly slumped position, the edge of the screen hovers in my field of vision around my nose level, creating quite an annoying distraction. Of course, if I sit bolt upright, this problem goes away, but who wants to ride sitting in that position?

Conclusion: I would rather put up with a more noise and buffeting from a shorter screen in exchange for unimpinged vision. The small size that Clearview offers would probably suit me better (ideally it would be about an inch taller than the stock Suzuki screen). Today I put my stock screen back on, and enjoyed the ride a lot more :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Twinrider
Call Clearview, I would bet they are willing to cut it down for no more then postage.
If you don't want to do it your self.
It's worth a try as they always seem to work with the customer.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Twinrider said:
Here's a pic of the medium screen compared with the stock screen.
It's remarkable how much the houses in Tokyo look so much like houses in Minnesota.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Thanks for the post. I am thinking of getting the Clearview, but maybe I need to have them shorten it for me.

Janine :)

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Call and talk to them. They seem to have a pretty good idea of how to match body size to windshield and I'm sure they'd be willing to do the mod for a reasonable price.

Alternatively, if you seem close to a stock size, it would be worth trying stock and then dealing with postage and re-work to fine tune, if necessary. For that matter, any glass shop could probably cut it down and polish the edges for you and save you the postage!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it didn't cost about $140 for the round trip in postage I would ask Clearview to cut it down. I'll probably sell it on auction here in Japan, then buy a shorter one. In the unlikely case that I can't sell it for a decent price, I'll look for a shop around here who can do the work professionally.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Windshield Dimensions vs Wind Buffeting

As I've been riding, I've been "experimenting" with the wind buffeting by moving around on the bike. I also observe wind speed and direction. I'm beginning to think that the buffeting is coming around the sides of the narrow stock windshield, and that the windshield height might be about right.

Rides on calm days, or directly into or away from the wind are almost buffet-free.

Rides in quartering winds of almost any strength result in a lot of buffeting.

Anyone with similar observations??

·
Registered
639 Posts
As an owner of the Suzuki OEM Extra Tall windshield that was only available in Canada, I have always suspected that the irritating buffeting :shock: that I experienced was a result of the air coming around from the sides onto my helmet, because of the narrowness of the windshield, & not so much to do with the height.

Now that I have the Clearview windshield, which is considerably wider at the top, I have not experienced any buffeting at all. I am very pleased with the design & quality of the Clearview product. I am really enjoying the Gold Wing vent also. It's worth the extra dollars to be able to put ventilation when and where you want it. :)

Alburg's Clearview was way too tall for him, so he took it into an Auto Glass place and they cut it down for him. Did a good job at a reasonable price. I know he's also very pleased with his Clearview. They are very nice people to deal with and I highly recommend them! 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts