Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally bought the large, tinted, vented clearview, and now I can't turn correctly. I have the holes all in the right places and all tightened up. It seems to fit, but now my mirrors hit and I can't use the steering lock. When I asked the company about this, they said I shouldn't have that problem. Did I do something wrong?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Cut the windscreen

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
The mirrors on mine don't hit my Clearview, however I have the "S" model 400 and it's mirrors are different from the ones on the standard.

I can't see how you could mount the windshield wrong, there is pretty much only one way it can go on. Do you have the mirror clamps rotated so that the mirrors are tilted forward. If so you might try loosening the mirror clamps at the handle bars and repositioning them straight up.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Buffalo, can you actually see to the rear in your 400s mirrors? When I ride my GF's 400s, I can see my upper arms and that's about it. I'm pretty robust though (6'2").

Do you like the Clearview on your 400s? I think she's going to want to replace that cute little mini-shield on her ride before she uses it for her daily commute in the interminable rain here.

I just added a vented Clearview to my 650, it's beautiful and the additional shelter is fantastic but it didn't fit quite as perfectly as I had hoped.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
I can see fairly well the way I have them set. Instead of having the mirrors level I angle the outer tip up. That seems to get them to a spot where I can see around my arms in about 1/2 the mirror.

I like the Clearview on my 400s. The little mini shield that came on it was pretty much useless. I have the large size on it and for my size that is about right. I can see over it or I can duck down a little and be completely behind it. It does not provide the level of hand protection that you get with the GIVI shield but with our hot Texas summers that is preferable for me. I do have the vent on it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have the Givi windscreen on my '06 and I can't turn my handle bars to the lock position either. Its not a big deal. If it bothers you so much, why not modify the windscreen?

·
Super Moderator
18,085 Posts
If I remember correctly, the mirror stems on the '03 400's, and all Burgman's handlebars are somewhat adjustable.

Have you tried that?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
On my 06 400s, I too found the rear vision unacceptable, and fitted some extenders onto the mirrors to bring them outboard a bit.

Initially I used ones I made myself out of some flat-stock, and once I was happy they would do what I wanted, replaced with some shiny $19 ones from E-bay.

Vision was helped tremendously.

I have the Givi screen fitted, and have had no handling problems whatsoever while on the road, but at extreme lock (when enaging the steering lock), I'm just about contacting the screen.
Not even close before fitting the extensions.

Are you sure the mirrors you have fitted are standard items?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, they are standard. Here's where they hit and the problem I have us the turning radius is cut quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
Only options you have are to modify the windshield or adjust the mirrors and/or lever position to move the stem back some.

You can loosen the two 8 mm bolts on the levers where they clamp on the handlebar and rotate them up just a little. It won't take much to make a fairly substantial difference in the mirror stem position and may get you the clearance you need. You can also loosen the nut where the mirror stem attaches to the lever and rotate the stem back a little. That will give you more clearance.

Of course if you do either you will have to alter the adjustment on the mirrors but they have quite a bit of adjustment ability at two different places on the stem.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I had a good idea here. I'm thinking of buying a sport bike mirror bracket and mounting it I between the turn signal and the windshield cover. What do you think? Got the idea from the sport bikes since they have the same problem if the mirrors are mounted on the bar.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Pretty good idea, actually. Post pix when you're done!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts