Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today the sun was shining, so Darth gave me a ride. Went about 2 miles to the grocery store where we parked in the little trangle of space at the end of a row close to the doors that no car can park in. Love that! The trunk swallowed two gallons of milk side by side in the back, tipped back to stay in place. Almost like they designed it for milk! There was still easily enough room for twice that much more in the trunk (12-pack of charmin would have fit). I LOVE the trunk! Darth decided on the ride home to run up the highway a bit. There's a stretch after a stoplight that runs up a mile or so then up a long hill cresting with a great view and about 3 more miles of smooth asphalt. No traffic so I let Darth run. Down and back, 10 miles or so. Exhilarating!

But it's only 50 degrees out, and supposed to rain again tonight so we glided home. Lots of stares from neighbors. Coolest looking thing in the neighborhood, apparently.

Dave B.

·
Registered
367 Posts
ONLY 10 MILES????? I am sure that I could have found a store atleast 50 miles away!
The Burgman is great for shopping my wife and I went one of the grocery stores that she likes to shop at and came out with many bags, 6 I think and a water melon. It went very nicely under the seat and into the Givi box.
You just have to broaden your range!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
:D That's one good "thing" about were I live my nearest HEB (like a Winn-Dixie or A&P) is 47 miles door to door
(but I ever hardly ever go the short way ) :D

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Yeah - I make it a habit to go at least to the next county before "I remember" what it was that I was supposed to be getting.....haircut, milk, etc. :wink:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had big plans to ride again today. Weather stations ALL predicted sunny and 60 degrees f. Boy were they wrong! Pissy, wet, foggy, 40. Dangit!

I went for a ride anyway! Couldn't help myself. Rode though the mist up the highway about 20 miles to a neighboring small town. Stopped and had a great lunch at a little diner there. Came back a different route. meandered up and down the flint hills, slowed through another small town, then 5 miles back to my house. Sort of amazed at how far out my town has stretched to. I used to ride that route 20 years ago on my Honda, and it was far more farm and ranch land than it is today.

Darth (Black Burgman 650) did well. Kept me smiling anyway. Love the way the throttle responds instantly to my command. Think they could improve the digital display, though... I want it to say "Going faster now, master" when I accelerate.

I'm convinced my speedo is off. Most farmers out here drive the speed limit in their pickups. I'd get behind an old pickup that was surely going 65, and my speedo would say 72-73. Hate that!

But loved my ride.

Dave B.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
or - on a twist of the trottle a little lady says (out of a 1 inch computer speaker [that could double as turn directional squakers]) "increasing speed, as you requested master.." :lol:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It hasn't yet gotten above 40 today, but I went for a ride anyway. Got out my long gloves. Put on my leather coat and both zipped and buttoned it all the way up including raising the collar. Put on my new full-face helmet and rode. I needed to get my tag and register the beast, so I cruised about 5 miles through town to the courthouse. Nicest clerk there. When I said I was registering a new motorcyle she perked up with a big smile. "Have you been to Cassoday?" she asked. I'd never heard of it, so she explained that first sunday of each month bikers from all over gather in the little Kansas town of Cassoday for breakfast. Of course the one diner there can no longer handle the 100 to 3000 bikers that might show up. It's become a big social gathering. Several vendors show up. Cycles of every shape, size, make and era show up and it's all good fun. I looked the town up on a map, and could see why she recommends the ride.... All hilly twisty scenic 2-lane through the flint hills of Kansas from here to there.

Tag in hand I got back on Darth and we headed home. I'd come THROUGH town to get there, but went AROUND town going home. At each of the four or five stoplights Darth would get interested looks from the cages around. But with 45 and 60mph roads ahead they got their best look at Darth's back-side as we zipped away from each light. Once I'd turned onto the last leg home, a Pontiac Vibe decided to follow me. Now I'm a Vibe owner too, so it didn't suprise me that anyone with similar taste in cars would also be interested in Darth. Darth would leave him (or her) at each stop, but the Vibe would catch up and follow. Nothing dangerous though. I was nearing home so I slowed down enough for the Vibe to want to pass. It came up beside me, so I gave it a honk and a wave. the Very Cute Female driver gave me a big smile and a wave back. I twisted my throttle and left it in the dust. Like I said, I've got a Vibe myself. So I know how envious that Vibe owner must have been seeing Darth pull away.

Can't stop smiling!

Dave B.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Dave wrote
I'm convinced my speedo is off. Most farmers out here drive the speed limit in their pickups. I'd get behind an old pickup that was surely going 65, and my speedo would say 72-73. Hate that!
That would seem just about right-every speedo here is off, at 65 (gps) my speedo reads about 72 also. It can be fixed with after market items(do a search), but I don't think it's worth it,so I live with it, even helps me slow down a littlel :)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took first ride with wife on back today. Some observations:

Rear tire needs more air with passenger. (Just what user manual says)
Rear springs need stiffening up a bit with passenger.
Extra weight helped smooth out the bumps.
650 had NO problem with the load.
Wife was thrilled.
With rear backrest in place it's a challenge getting passenger on and off the scooter. Wife basically mounts sidesaddle, then swings her right leg over the front of the seat. Backrest was a good idea, but rear seat is so deep it never came into play. As wife gets more comfortable she may sit back more relaxed. If it turns out she never uses it, I may take it off and put a parcel shelf back there.

Dave B.

·
Registered
761 Posts
4DThinker said:
I was nearing home so I slowed down enough for the Vibe to want to pass. It came up beside me, so I gave it a honk and a wave. the Very Cute Female driver gave me a big smile and a wave back. Dave B.
Ok, NOW I really need to get one!!!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No one showed up for my afternoon class on time today, so I cancelled it. Spent the rest of the afternoon cruising around town. Two trips to the hardware store determined to find something to create a throttle lock. While there found a kit with heavy metal, bolts and brackets to make ramp. Gonna use it with some redwood planks I have to make a ramp I can use to get the 650 into my pickup. Then headed to the local Target to look for "supplies". Came out to find a nice group of young people (one man, three women) standing by my 650. It had caught the young man's attention when I drove up, but it was the girls that convinced him to go "check it out". I walked up and said "It's a nice ride. What can I tell you kids about it?".

"How fast will it go?" I don't know, I haven't been that fast yet.
"Is it easy to ride?" For me it is, but I've had lots of experience.
"It looks heavy." It is. Almost 600 pounds.
"Wow" I agree... Wow.
"Is it new? Do you mind telling us how much it cost?" Almost new. Alot, but worth every penny.
Young man: "What size engine does it have?" 638cc's.
"Four stroke?" Yes. Two cyclinders.
"Air cooled?" No. Liquid cooled.
Girl: "Whats a CC?" Guy: "I'll explain it later"
Me: "I need to go now."
"Thanks, mister."
"Yea, Thanks!"
"Thanks alot!"

As I started it they took a step back. A pleasant harmonic "oooh" from the girls. The guy said "I've gotta get me one of those" and I rode off.

Dave B.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts