Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I would think the filter is made of paper, unless it is a K & N. Water would ruin the paper element, K & N sells a kit to clean their filters which is a solvent that can be rinsed with water, but make sure the filter is completely dry when you reinstall it. If the element is paper and you have access to an air compressor, try blowing the dirt off the filter, that will give you a bit more life but you will need to replace the filter eventually as not all the dirt can be blown out of the paper, just the big chunks.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Sponge filter is stock on these older 400's Wes.
I use Simple Green degreaser...Simply because someone left a 5 gallon bucket of the concentrated stuff here and it became mine. :D
Soak it and then rinse and dry thoroughly. Don't over oil it afterward either as the oil is just to trap the fine dust and not lubricate anything!

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I clean mine with Dawn dish washing soap. Does a good job and I always have a bottle of it sitting by the kitchen sink.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
GENTLY wash it out with liquid soap & warm/hot water.....
I use paper towels to dab it almost dry....then a bit of warm
air from a hair dryer. When dry, slip it into a zip-lock type of
sandwich baggie....quart-size I think, & with a long-tip
oiler can, squirt a bit of oil into the bag, directly onto the foam
filter. CAREFULLY...very carefully, smush the oil around inside
the baggie, to get a bit of oil all over into the filter. When you
are satisfied with your efforts, remove the filter, & put it into
a couple of sections of paper-towels, making a sandwich.
Press-squeeze the the paper towel-filter-sandwich to remove
excess oil, then re-install the filter into the air cleaner housing.
Ta DAAA...you're done. Well, not until you wash your hands.. :lol:

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
I use Simple Green as a degreaser for all kinds of things, it is great stuff! I have neglected to pull mine to clean it as I have had too dang many health issues to ride mine as much as I would like too. I am hoping for a better year coming up. Thanks Steve, nowI know I can just clean it and reuse it.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I like the baggie trick Duster! :thumbup:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Simple Green, soak and rinse well. Dry and put away for next filter swap. I do not add oil
To the paper filter. Jim :cheers:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
jenkins said:
Simple Green, soak and rinse well. Dry and put away for next filter swap. I do not add oil
To the paper filter. Jim :cheers:
The pre 2007 400's are a sponge type filters.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Badgator said:
Because it is an "oiled foam filter". It traps fine dust, just as with K&N's oiled cotton gauze filters. For years I have used the "baggie" trick and ATF for these sort of filters--on my '03 400 this gets done at every oil change, each 2500 miles for me. I picked up another filter on eBay (actually a whole air box, for $20) so I could have one still in the baggie ready to go, and clean the dirty one at my convenience...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts