Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on what to carry to clean the clearview windshield while on the road?

I purchased a tub of glass cleaner cloths from a auto shop and they don't work so hot. It doesn't remove the bugs so well.

Anyone know of small spray bottles of cleaner?

Any help appreciated....

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
We use microfiber cleaning cloths from WalMart.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
The first rule I would give is to never wipe a dry cloth on a dry windshield if there is dry debris on it. You're just asking for scratches.

I love the microfiber cloths, but unless I'm just wiping off a little dust, I always spray the windshield first and let whatever is on there soak a bit first.

Most M/C dealers sell various kinds of spray-on windshield cleaners, and they usually come in convienient carry sizes. I use Honda Pro cleaner/polish, which works on the body panels as well as on the "glass."

Another idea is to get the small spray bottles of eyeglass cleaner, and when that runs out refill with something cheap like Windex or just water with a bit of ammonia added.

I've used hydrogen peroxide to remove really tough, dried on bugs. Soak a cloth in the stuff and hold it against the splat for a minute or so. The peroxide causes the dried bug to bubble off the surface where it can then be rinsed away without scratching anything.

They main thing, again, is to get it all wet before wiping. Rinsing and then wiping dry is better still.

HTH.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
The process I usually follow is as follows:

Rinse completely with warm water. Spray window cleaner on and let soak. Wipe off with micro fiber cleaning rag. I don't re-use rags without washing them.

If there are stubborn bugs, or there are just a lot of them after a long ride, I'll rinse off the windshield, then put a wet towel on the windshield and leave it there for 5 to 10 minutes. (If I'm on the road, I'll put newspaper on the windshield and soak it.) Then I follow the spray and wipe procedure.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Cleaning shields on the road

For many years now (more than I like to think about), I have been carrying a pump bottle of Pledge for cleaning windshields, face shields, helmets, fenders, chrome.....nearly everything. It is cheap, readily available, cleans well without scratching and smells like an artificial lemon. It also leaves a protective wax film that promotes water runoff on the windshield and face shield, helps prevent bugs sticking, fills in many of the microscratches that clear plastics develop and leaves things shiny. Unlike car waxes, it does not leave a visible residue if you miss wiping a little piece. Be sure to change cleaning rags frequently so as not to tranfer abrasive material.
Quite a few products have come on the market over the years that purport to do the same thing, and probably do. I haven't bothered to switch. As John Candy once said in a movie as he was preparing to toss a handful of change onto the floor near several women in dresses, "If something works, you stick with it."

·
Registered
806 Posts
Honda cleaner/polish is good on EVERYTHING including windshields. The stuff is the best.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
On a trip I just carry a small spray bottle of water and a couple of small microfiber towels for keeping the shield clean. Works well and easy to refill if you run out of fluid. If space isn't an issue, I use the Honda spray cleaner/polish.
Be careful of household window cleaners with ammonia - could damage the coating on a bike windshield.

Don

·
Registered
925 Posts
I always use microfibre towels and ProtectAll cleaner.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I use small terrycloth towels (many times washed) or an old t-shirt, and Mothers Detailer for the whole bike, windshield, helmet, face shield etc..

Great bug disolver and polish.

If the bike has so many bugs on it that it looks like a fur rug, I'll wash it down with water first, then use Detailer.

Really stubborn bugs.. WD-40 them, then Detailer.

Macguires Plastix is really good for bringing back that factory clear look to windshields and any clear plastic.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
bechtoea said:
Honda cleaner/polish is good on EVERYTHING including windshields. The stuff is the best.
That's what I use. The best thing is that it comes in two sizes. The large can stays in the garage for cleanup after the ride. The small can with a hand towel wrapped around it fits in the glovebox, great for carrying on the road.

When touring, if I end up with a really plastered windscreen, I ask the motel owner for an old bath towel - usually they have them. I soak it in water and drape it over the windscreen to soak the "bug glue" for 5 or 10 minutes as previously described. Works great. Everything usually wipes right off. Cheaper than using up my Honda cleaner/polish too!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
pauljo said:
bechtoea said:
That's what I use. ...
Brian said:
...I use Honda Pro cleaner/polish, which works on the body panels as well as on the "glass."
Looks like there's quite a few of us who swear by the stuff.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I can tell you this. The dealer I go to has had a heck of a time keeping the Honda Cleaner/Polish in stock this season. It sells out very rapidly everytime they get a shipment. A couple of customers have bought entire cases of it. I found it on the shelves there yesterday and bought a couple of spare cans... One of the employees there told me he also uses it to detail his pickup truck. :shock:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Meguiars clear plastic cleaner comes in small bottles. I also bought a can of plastic cleaner from the Suzuki dealer. I use either one of those with a clean microfibre cloth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts