Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my Garmin Nuvi with me on a road trip. I plugged it into a USB adapter for the lighter plug. Several times during my trip the GPS would reboot and I would receive a message the system lost power. The power connections are secure. Does anyone know if the DC power generated is clean with out interruptions? I need to figure this out before my next road trip. P.S. GPS works fine in Car.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

I just hardwired my Garmin GPS with this. It's really simple. Only took a half hour with a screwdriver, some zip ties and a wire stripper. Didn't even need to solder it. Just stuff the wires in with the power socket tabs.

The USB charger makes the unit think its computer connected and boots and reboots as such. It can also freeze up if you stop and restart during its booting period, requiring a hard reboot. Sounds like yours had a very bad connection, either cable or adapter.

Using The car charger or this hardwire solution avoids the extended booting. And the hardwire is very convenient.

·
Premium Member
14,252 Posts
I've not had problems with my Garmin rebooting like that and it's been tens of thousands of miles on my 2 bikes.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The Lardy's vibrations cause the 12V adapter to work loose over time and eventually it loses continuity. The center-pin (the +12V side) is spring-loaded which helps drive it out of the socket. Some day I might convert the power cable to use REAL connectors instead of that POS cigarette thing. BTW, the Nuvi that I use (fairly new 2555LMT) needs the cigarette adapter charger, NOT the USB port, to charge at full rate. It also needs the cig charger to receive the realtime traffic broadcasts I think.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
If you use the cig charger (usually with a power socket splitter as the charger is too long), the rebooting is not a problem. The charger has wiring to tell the unit its only supplying power and not data.

The reboots Mao is experiencing is when he uses one of these.

View attachment 27201

The unit thinks its connected to a computer and wants to establish communications... This takes a while. Eventually, the unit will figure it out and boot normally, but it takes a good two, three minutes. And if you interrupt the reboot, by like turning the bike on and off quickly, then the unit will get stuck the next time you turn it on.

It was really frustrating using an older unit like mine, 1450. Especially as I lead group rides. Nothing like having your gps decide to do a five minute reboot in the middle of a ride with 40 people following you.

So I did the hardwire. It's dead simple to do. One of those "should have done this years ago" things.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
My Garmin did the same thing. The vibrations causes the power socket to become disconnected from the Garmin plug. Here is my fix? I installed a 1 " long narrow strip of Velcro wool tape "just" inside the power socket and then fixed the Velcro loop tape to he Garmin plug. The Velcro keeps it plugged in all day long. It really works great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts