Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that people talk about the helmet buffeting alot, and that some solutions are larger screens like the Clearview, the Givi, and now the new larger OEM screen.

I'm wondering if shortening the stock screen might make things more comfortable. I stood up on the floorboards a couple times yesterday, just for a moment, and found the air to be smoother and more pleasant. Has anyone taken their screen down about 4 inches?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Buffeting as it's called starts behind the object the wind hits so as the wind hits your windshield you get the effect behind it. the reason the air felt calm when you stood up is because it was calm,fast but calm.
The problem is # 1 you will get a face full sand ,bugs, what ever, # 2 at 40 or 50 it's fine but holding your head against the wind at 60 & 70 will get you a sore neck in short time .
Most folks settle for a screen that's just below eye level and the wind clears the top of the helmet or a larger shield and look through it .
While I have never really been happy with any wind protection on most bikes (except full flairing), the scooter does give a nice ride behind a large windshield. 8)

·
Registered
135 Posts
just my 2 cents here but all this talk about wind protection has me wondering.....maybe i think different than most but my logic is if we dont like all this wind why are we riding a bike at all to begin with? isnt the concept of owning 2 wheels to be able to enjoy the feeling of freedom of the 2 wheels and to enjoy the fresh air hitting your face? :? i personally wear a full face helmet but i keep the visor up 99% of the time because i like the feel of the wind. i dont like to feel smothered under the shield. now when i had a sport bike i had to close the shield as the wind was kinda crazy at 160 mph :lol: but as im older now i dont try that kind of speed anymore...hence the reason for trading in that nice R6 for the burgman :)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Whoa there big fella

mactd83 said:
wind was kinda crazy at 160 mph :lol: :)
I just have to ask: What bike you had and where were you rode that you went 160 mph?

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Whoa there big fella

mactd83 said:
wind was kinda crazy at 160 mph :lol: :)
dancote said:
I just have to ask: What bike you had and where were you rode that you went 160 mph?
Dan,
He went on to say:
mactd83 said:
hence the reason for trading in that nice R6 for the burgman
That would be the Yamaha 600 repli-racer. 160 was probably his indicated, but with the speedos overstating by about 10% that would put his actual speed at just 144...so, no reason to worry :wink:

Very similarly, I went from a Kawasaki ZX-6R to the Burgman 650.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
if we dont like all this wind why are we riding a bike at all to begin with?
I agree with you but I think we are talking about buffeting which I feel is different. Getting your head (helmet) knocked from side to side is not the same as a steady flow.
Like you I want the wind and as much as I can get but if I can keep it coming in a more even fashion
---Like sticking your hand out the window of your car at 60, a lot of air but fairly even push---
Like riding down the road an getting nailed by 30mph gust of side wind--that's a lot of air I can do with out also. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts