Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If labeling the Burgman like a motorcycle, how would you classify it? A tourer (I often hear the 650 being a mini Goldwing)? Would the 400 be different than the 650? Interested in people's opinions....

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
There is a term used for large scoots - "maxi-scooter". However I can see calling the 650 a "touring scooter" and maybe the 400 too. The Burgman is designed with highway travel in mind.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I've often referred to the 650 and the 400 as the GW Mini and Nano, respectively. And that really fits the 650.

But It's hard to classify any 400 as a touring bike. If I had to put a MC designation on it, I might give it a "Standard", like the Nighthawk. Just your basic bike, capable of fulfilling most every MC pursuit, albeit not as well as a dedicated designed bike. The do-all-rounder as it were. But the b400 does so much more than a Standard though. More cargo, protection, comfort, economy, etc.

Hard to put a finger on it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I think if we look back into the earlier years of Motorcycles ala 1920-1980's etc, a 400cc was not considered tiny and neither was a top speed of 85 mph considered slow. You were a tough guy if you had an 800cc and it might peg 90mph.

Only since the growth of 1500-2100cc bikes became (cool) that we have become sneer lipped about our smaller capacity engines.

Our bikes are Touring bikes because of their design, ala storage and fairing etc, that's what touring are, it's not about top speed, it's about the ability to move a human from one location to the other with luggage, and great mpg's and with comfort seating.

Years ago people toured all over the world on Vespa's 50-250cc...Are those not able to tour you around.

If i had to do a world tour at a steady pace of 65mph, the burgman 400 would be my choice...I would carry an extra belt for the 24,000 mile trip.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
For the 650 Intermediate tourer....

There are many going back to the PC800

and really could be a Sport Tourer as well. That was my ST1100 in Australia and buddy's Burgman 650 which I ride in Canada. Except for raw horsepower they were similar.

The St1100 a bit heavier but more top heavy and it's definitely a Sport Tourer tho recently the sport tourers have nudged more toward the sport end.
Like the VFR800

Yet the Burgman will hang in with the VFR800 on the twists and offer a very useful amount of storage and outhandled the St1100 which had the same storage.

Great all around bike.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
For me it's the every thing bike , whether it's to pick up a loaf of bread or for a long road trip . What else could you possible need or want ?

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
How I classify it depends on how I am using it at the time. That's true for either the 400 or the 650.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I just call it a "good all rounder maxi-scooter", does everything pretty well and with superb comfort for the pilot!

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I personally think we need to drop the scooter ID for this category.

Call it a bike, call it a ride. Who cares.
I think it's confusing as many people consider all scooters to be city scoots.

The Burgman 650 is the best all around bike I've owned. Works for me.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I call mine a motor scooter..Tired of someone telling methat there is no way I can ride it on the interstate as that is for "real" motorcycles..

·
Registered
243 Posts
For most people, I just call it a motorcycle. They really don't know the difference and it eliminates confusion. This, by the way, includes some Suzuki salespersons.

For my friends and those in the know, I call it a maxi-scooter and then answer all the meaningful questions they have. Of these, all have been impressed.

John

·
Registered
71 Posts
I call mine a bike as well...but really like the sound of "touring scooter" though. I may use that now;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I call mine "The Precious" (in Gollum's voice)... what other's think, their problem, not mine :D:D

·
Banned
78 Posts
The 650 Burgman is a highly ergonomic, open road touring machine which is equally at home on city streets.

You may or may not be surprised at a comparison of the 2014 650 Burgman and the 2014 Harley electra Glide,....very little difference in the wheelbase or the seat height.

As for performance,..well,...you've had to have ridden a 650 Burgman to understand,...but the big touring rigs have to get involved with uncomfortable speeds before they can get away from a 650 Burg.

Suffice it to say that the Burgman has enough performance credentials and then some.

Anyway,..the specs.

650 Burgman:

Year
Manufacturer
Model
Engine Type
Engine Displacement
Bore & Stroke
Compression Ratio
Cooling
Fuel System
Ignition
Starting System
Transmission
Final Drive
Rake and Trail
Wheel Base
Seat Height
Front Suspension
Rear Suspension
Front Brake
Rear Brake
Front Tire
Rear Tire
Fuel Capacity
Dry Weight
MSRP

Suzuki
Burgman 650 ABS
Four-stroke, two cylinder, DOHC
638cc
75.5mm x 71.3mm
11.2:1
Liquid-Cooled
Suzuki Fuel Injection
Electronic ignition (Transistorized)
Electric
Automatic - SECVT
Gear Drive
NA
62.4 in.
29.7 in.
Telescopic, coil spring, oil damped
Swingarm type, coil spring, oil damped
Disc brake, twin
Disc
120/70R15M/C 56H, tubeless
160/60R14M/C 65H, tubeless
4.0 gal.
613 lbs. (Wet)
$10,999

Electra Glide:

Year
Manufacturer
Model
Engine Type
Engine Displacement
Bore & Stroke
Compression Ratio
Cooling
Fuel System
Ignition
Starting System
Transmission
Final Drive
Rake and Trail
Wheel Base
Seat Height
Front Suspension
Rear Suspension
Front Brake
Rear Brake
Front Tire
Rear Tire
Fuel Capacity
Dry Weight
MSRP

Harley-Davidson
Electra Glide Ultra Limited - FLHTK
High Output Twin Cam 103
1690cc
98.4 mm x 111.1 mm
10.0:1
Twin-Cooled
Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
Electronic
Electric
Six-speed Cruise Drive
Belt, 32/68 ratio
26° / 6.7 in.
64 in.
29.1 in.
Mild steel; two-piece drawn and welded section; forged junctions; MIG welded
Air-Adjustable full travel air ride
32 mm 4-Piston fixed, dual floating rotors
32 mm 4-Piston fixed, fixed rotor
D408F 130/80B17 65H
D407T BW 180/65B16 81H
6 gal.
896 lbs. (Wet)
$25,899

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I call mine a scooter since it's a step through and the rear brake is controlled by the left hand. Honda scooters all have left hand lever brakes while the automatic motorcycles have right foot brake pedals.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
When I pulled into the parking lot of my brother's body shop with my new to me Burgman in the back of my truck, his immediate response was "That's not a scooter, it's a girl's motorcycle" (remembering the low stepover of the girl's bicycles of our youth).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts