Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a 2004 AN400 owner for about a week. I traded in a 650 Suzuki that I had owned since new (1982) to a dealer I have known for longer than that and in whom I have complete trust. He did a complete mechanical inspection on the Burgman before I bought it including belt, variator, cleaning the clutches, engine service etc. The bike has 14000 miles on it and starts and drives well. The dealer used the bike for short trip personal transportation while he had it in stock and assured me that all was well mechanically.

My question concerns a noticeable metallic "clank" that occurs just about every time I switch off the engine. No odd noises are present while the bike is running at idle or on the road. The engine idles at right about 1400 rpm. The clank seems less noticeable if I slow the idle to 1200 rpm but that could be coincidence.

I assume that the noise comes from the drive train but since I'm not familiar with the workings of variable ratio drive I have no idea what might be causing the noise. I'd appreciate any insights anyone might have.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hi and welcome.......!! You may be right about the source of that noise..!! There are 2 pulleys and one has the centrifigal clutch and although at 1400 RPM the clutch springs should not allow contact of the clutch shoes with the bell - Just maybe - that is what you are hearing...!! I not and you ate concerned - take it back to the dealer and have the tech take a listen to it...... Good luck!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it is just at the point were the engine comes to rest you are most likely hearing the starter clutch,
they are one way devices and if as the engine comes to a complete stop it hits compression then
the piston rebounds a bit turning the crank backwards this engages the starter clutch and spins
the starter backwards, "clank" most engines with this type of starter set up do it at times, nothing
to worry about if I am right and no way of stopping it, engines tend to come to rest in one particular
place that's why if you look at a car engine starter ring they are usually worn in one or two places more
than others.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
+1 on what Bluebottle said...about what he said!! It's the starter clutch and makes that noise on most bikes, most times when you switch off with that type of starter clutch. Just normal stuff! :cheers:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick replies... it's nice to have a resource like this!

The noise does remind me of the kind of sound a starter would make when disengaging but I didn't want to hazard a guess being unfamiliar with the mechanicals of the system.

Is 1400 rpm an acceptable idle speed or should I lower it a bit? The bike seems to move away from stops more smoothly at this idle speed than it did when at 1200 RPM when I picked it up.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Engine idle should be between 1350rpm to 1550rpm for all 2007+ engines onwards. 1400rpm sounds fine.

Just noticed your bike profile. As it's the carb model I'm not absolutely sure what the idle should be, but I suspect it should be the same or thereabouts. Again I think 1400rpm is fine. On these smaller engines idling too slow is not good.

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
that clank when you shut down might be your happy meter bottoming out :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts