Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Claim it? Or fix it myself?

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  TheReaper 
#1 ·
So, from my crash on the gravel, the bike is pretty torn up on the side. I think it could all be repaired because in the mean time it's still rideable. Just ugly on the left. So, I have full comprehensive and was wondering, do I claim the accident and get new plastics? Or save the hassle and just get it fixed my an auto body shop? Main thing is I'm worried about my rates shooting up if I claim it. Especially being 18 turning 19 in April. So, for those of you with experience, what would you do?

#2 ·
I'd be willing to bet your insurance rates will go up if you turn in a claim. Find a source for used left side plastic and patch the bike up as best you can. Check carefully for damage around the handle bars - especially brake levers and master cylinders.

#3 ·
If you have a 2005 400 a slide on gravel will for sure cost more to replace the damaged plastics than it's worth . Here is the thing , your insurance co will find out about your wreck regardless if you make a claim or not . If there was a police report they will find out . I doubt they would raise your rates and if they did just go some where else . Just curious , who is paying your medical bills ?

TheReaper!

#4 ·
I/ve got State Farm and, at least in their case, they don't raise rates on motorcycles like they do cars. My wife and I have each had a substantial claim (stupid plastics) with no change. However, I believe at some point they would just refuse to continue covering a bike.

#6 ·
If it was a crash I don't think comprehensive will pay for it. If you have collision it would. An '03 or '05 doesn't have much of a market price anyway. At 18 your rates may go up on all your vehicles. You could fix it with salvage parts if you aren't too particular about color match, unless you got lucky.

#7 · (Edited)
It's sad to say, but your age does factor into this. Most of us old guys, with clean records wouldn't think twice about filing a claim. But at 18 with little riding history, filing a claim may lead to increased rates for all your vehicles, if they don't already know about it.

Also, the insurance company may total the bike and pay you market value for the bike. What's it worth, An 11 year old scooter? 1k maybe. And the insurance company would own the bike afterwards. You'd have to get a replacement. What are you gonna buy with 1k? Once you go down that rabbit hole, you're at the company's mercy.

So is it worth increased rates for $1k? I wouldn't think so.

Sorry kid, those are breaks. Welcome to the real world. But it does get better.:rolleyes:

#15 ·
It's sad to say, but your age does factor into this. Most of us old guys, with clean records wouldn't think twice about filing a claim. But at 18 with little riding history, filing a claim may lead to increased rates for all your vehicles, if they don't already know about it.

Also, the insurance company may total the bike and pay you market value for the bike. What's it worth, An 11 year old scooter? 1k maybe. And the insurance company would own the bike afterwards. You'd have to get a replacement. What are you gonna buy with 1k? Once you go down that rabbit hole, you're at the company's mercy.

So is it worth increased rates for $1k? I wouldn't think so.

Sorry kid, those are breaks. Welcome to the real world. But it does get better.:rolleyes:
I sort of agree with Liamjs on this , your age could be an issue and the fact that it's an older scooter which isn't worth much any way . That said it all seams rather perverse to me , I mean WTF do you have insurance for in the first place ? I have $100.00 deductible on mine , and if the slightest mishap occurs you can be sure I'll be turning in a claim .

TheReaper!

#8 ·
Yeah. I think I've got to just fix it myself. I only paid 1400 for the bike. But I put a clear view on it, hit clutch, seat on it so that's where I've got 5000 of accessory coverage. I could just get my money back out of it. Idk. I love that little bike and would hate to get rid of it for scratches. Perfectionist curse I guess. I'm gonna see if it can just be fixed with bondo and paint at my friends shop.

#9 ·
DO NOT USE BONDO! Not on plastic panels at least. Bondo does not flex which plastic panels are sure to do. There are several brands of plastic repair putties similar to bondo but they will flex with the plastic. Of coarse you will need to repair any cracks first.

Here is a site that has everything you could ever want to make plastic repairs.
http://www.urethanesupply.com

#10 ·
Good information. I am an insurance agent (Ride 2007 Burgman 400). Most crashes
can total a bike because repair exceeds the value of the scoot. There is nothing to repair, all replacement parts. GK13 - do not turn in this claim. Even your accessory coverage does not significantly impact the market value of your scoot. Best of Luck!

Bob Copeland Minnesota

#11 ·
GK13, I agree with most above, do not turn in a claim. You may well be 'Over Insured" and will not get the Over Insured value no matter how much "Value" you think its worth.

#12 · (Edited)
Too bad about your bike. For what it's worth, mine looks like a scuffed up shoe up close. I would just patch it up with some otc stuff and forget about the body shop and just ride it. Over time you get over the blemishes, I did. As long as the damages are only cosmetic and don't effect performance or safety, it sounds like it still is a fun bike to ride. If you can't live with it, just sell it.

#13 ·
Well, didn't do anything with the claim. Thanks for the info guys. I'll see if I can repair it cost effectively enough. Just debating getting rid of it and just having the 650, getting rid of it and getting a newer 400, or just continue fixing it and keeping the maintenance up on it like I always have and riding the wheels off it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.