Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:oops: I might have gone too fast...all of a sudden...the power dropped off to 55mph...power came back and can now go past 55mph. Now the engine idles a little louder and there is loud, even and increasing clacking with acceleration. There is no smoke. Bolts are tight on muffler. The bearings are fine. No jumping on the tach. No change in temp. The intake baffle is perfectly in place. I was a Quart low..now fine...still clacking. No matter what speed...if i back off from accelerating the clacking gets quiet.
Possibilities...Trans oil? belt? Anything broken in the valve adjustment area? Any ideas welcome! Thank-you!

·
Registered
133 Posts
CVT Throttle position sensor?

Limits the bike to 30% max throttle.

Some limiter is definitely in effect.

Maybe something came loose in there and took out the sensor?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
What size Burgman are we talking , the 650 or 400? I think it may be the valves if your talking 400.

·
Registered
747 Posts
scooterjockey,

Check your air recirculation pipes and all emission control pipes may have come loose ...

That would give you noise on acceleration and quiet on deceleration...

Greg ...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:oops: I checked my CVT, rear trans oil, took out the spark plug(black but no build up and no cracks)and took out and inspected the whole air intake...all O.K. Checked out the gas(little water) injector and gas treatment. This narrows it down to tappets, valves or loose, broken or worn parts in those areas.
Is it O.K. to ride the scoot to a service shop? AN400mk3...10 miles?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:oops: Got under my tappet cover...exhaust tappets are way too tight(could this cause the clacking sound??)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
scooterjockey said:
:oops: Got under my tappet cover...exhaust tappets are way too tight(could this cause the clacking sound??)
Thats what I thought it was :?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its not my tune-up

Its my muffler! Took it to a pro...a baffle has come loose and its welded so I can't fix it...they are just tack welded he said. I have no loss of power or acceleration(not the pear valve)...it just gets louder with clacking(like a large baseball card hitting the spokes). Well, its out of warranty by about 2 weeks...is this any defect they will replace or should i just buy a leo vance "4 road". $400 for the stock muffler or $299 for the leo???
He says it wont hurt it to ride...WEW!
scooterjockey in dallas an400mk3 8000miles

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
If it were me, I'd go with the aftermarket. You'll likely get a bit more power, and they are lighter than the stock iron. Don't expect to see a hugh increase in performance, but you should notice some difference.

What I can't answer, is what the Leo Vince sounds like on a Burgman. The Remus I put on my 650 isn't very loud at all - but in my opinion it sounds better than stock.

So you stand to save some money, gain a little performance, and it'll probably look better than the stock unit too.

The only way I'd go with another stock muffler is if they agreed to replace it free of cost, even though you are just out of warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts