Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Clack!

1K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  dogboy 
#1 ·
My 2012 B650 w/12,000 miles has developed an interesting habit. If the engine is hot and I restart her, I immediately get a loud metallic "clack" sound as the starter engages. The engine starts up just fine and that's the end of it (until another hot start), but something in the starter must not be synchronizing properly with something else. Anyone had this problem? Guesses as to cause?

#3 ·

Here is mine, I uploaded a video some time ago.
I had this problem since I got it new, and it still does the same thing now, even after 21k km. I changed the spark plugs last year at 18k, thinking they are too hot, I put iridium CR8EIX and I saw no difference. Just a little bit smoother acceleration.
The mechanic said it's a preignition, a detonation, I noticed that a better gasoline prevents the symptom.

#4 ·
I don't hear the noise in this video. The sound I'm talking about is a single loud metallic "clack," like two pieces of metal hitting each other. It happens only once and is gone by the time the engine starts.

#5 ·
The noise may just be pre-ignition knock and the ECM retards the timing when a knock sensor hears that knock. This is common on all modern cars.
My Subaru Outback XT turbo does this. If I use Recommended Premumn 91 octane fuel it does not make a loud sound but it still does make a soft knock sound every start up. But if I run it on 87 octane it knocks loud once or twice and the computer retards the timing and cuts the turbo boost down. I also notice a big drop in power.

But the Burgman is designed to run on the LOWEST octane in the whole world. That knock is a normal part of the computer start up. It is only to check the parameters at start up. Unlike my Subaru above, the Burgman computer will not adjust the timing and BOOST levels on the fly.

Reactions: DarisPakar
#14 ·
That is the first credible diagnosis I've heard. If the engine is hot and the fuel system is completely full, then the engine does start immediately (although it never takes long.) The question is whether or not it's causing damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.