Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just out of curiousity which way do you guys with 400's turn the dip stick to ck the oil. If you turn it with a flat side faceing up & down for example the oil will be higher on the bottom side than on the top side.
Or do you turn it with the flat turned sideways or left and right where it may show the same on both sides? :?:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I think you're over analyzing. Just look in the middle of the stick to see where the level is.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
There are 2 routines and these depend on where you are Northern or Southern hemisphere.

Northern: With bike vertical on centre stand, remove dipstick - give it a wipe - inset but do not engage thread - withdraw and read level.

Southern Hempishere: As above but turn bike upside down first otherwise the oil will fall out. :wink:

·
Registered
925 Posts
Nice one Norman :wink:

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
over analyzing

billmeek said:
I think you're over analyzing. Just look in the middle of the stick to see where the level is.
Maybe Bill, but I don't think so. If you turn the dip stick flat up and down it will read very little on the top side and a whole lot on the bottom side. Do you not know which way you turn it before inserting and therefore don't know what I'm talking about?. Since you donot screw it back in before you ck it, it does make a differance of where the oil shows on the stick.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
With the flat turned sideways should be the same as the level in middle of the stick when the level of the oil is at an angle.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
bill wrote
With the flat turned sideways should be the same as the level in middle of the stick when the level of the oil is at an angle.
Duh..........you want to run that buy me in slow motion.
that's way over my head :?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Depending on how you put the dipstick in, the oil may be level all the way across the stick or at an angle. If you put the stick in where the level is the same on both sides, it the same as the average level if you dip it in where the level is on an angle. Make sense now?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what is your answer

billmeek said:
Bill, your as bad as my wife to get an answer out of. So do you turn it sideways to ck the oil or not?
Steve

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really

Randy said:
bill wrote
Duh..........you want to run that buy me in slow motion.
that's way over my head :?
Really :? me to

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
level is on an angle

billmeek said:
Depending on how you put the dipstick in, the oil may be level all the way across the stick or at an angle. If you put the stick in where the level is the same on both sides, it the same as the average level if you dip it in where the level is on an angle. Make sense now?
That's sort of what I said, except that it can't be level and on an angle at the same time. The oil should be level, the dipstick is at an angle. So do you ck your oil where it's even on each side of the dipstick or not. :lol:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Steve,

The oil is not usually in straight line across the stick when I check the oil. I just look at the center of the stick to see the average.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Just so I am not making a mistake, you don't know of any reason why turning the stick will not work , right ?
I get an even oil line around the stick and don't have to think about which way it was facing when I put it in.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy,

It doesn't make a bit of difference. You'll get the same level either way.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Since I'm not very good at explaining it with words and I don't have my 400 here to take pics, here's a drawing to explain what I mean.

http://tfic.com/v-web/gallery/albums/Bi ... llevel.jpg

The 2 lines with the arrows are exactly the same length. If you measure from the center of the stick when it's placed in flat, it's the same depth as the oil level if the stick is placed in sideways.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Bravo, Bill. Bravo. I do believe that will pass from generation to generation as the definitive guide on how to properly operate a dip stick.

Now, what are your thoughts on synth. vs. dino?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Bleeder said:
Bravo, Bill. Bravo. I do believe that will pass from generation to generation as the definitive guide on how to properly operate a dip stick.
:sign5:

I don't really have preference in oil. As I've learned the hard way just make sure you keep the oil topped up. I'll be checking mine anytime I'm going to ride for more than just a couple of miles.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
that's bull

`
That's Bull Bill
The angle of the stick is much greater than that and if you hold the stick where the flat faces up and down (top and bottom) if it reads 1/4 inch from the full line on the bottom side it will read about 5/8 inch from the line on the top side. Now if you don't believe that when you get your bike back try it and remember to hold one of the flat sides up all the way in the hole and out. They will not be the same on both flats.

http://tfic.com/v-web/gallery/albums/Bi ... es_oil.jpg

Steve

1 - 20 of 33 Posts