Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I stopped in the bike shop to ask one of the techs about a percived problem. When entering a sharp turn, not all the time, for a split second I experiance an unnerving squirm, is the best way to descibe it. I thought I had a tire problem. The tech races sport bikes an gave me a small lecture on motorcycle suspension dynamics blah blah blah. Basically I am entering the curve a little fast, get used to it or slow down. Had him check my tires anyway, he said my front wasn't cupped but chopped a little. I know I am getting older but I cannot ever recall tires chopping. His explanation between a cupped tire and a chopped tire was at best confusing. My Question is; What was he talking about, or was he feeding me a line of BS.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not heard the term "chopped" applied to motorcycle tires as a separate condition from scalloping (cupping), other than when used to incorrectly describe scalloping.

Can you get a photo of the tire that shows the wear pattern?

Scalloping is normal wear for m/c tires--here is a great article about m/c tire wear; "chopping" is not mentioned...
Thank you so much for the article. It has cleared up a lot of mysteries about MC tire wear for me. I have saved it, I am going to have to read it a few more times, a lot of science in it for me to fully understand all at once. From what I understand, I cannot stop scalloping, only slow it down and reduce it's severity with proper air pressure and suspension settings. Maybe a chopped tire is a local term and a five minute conversation with the tech could never cover what this in depth and lengthy write up does. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt he is not full of it. I would post pictures but I cant figure how. All the years I have spent trying to eliminate cupping, I can't know everything but at least I am a little bit closer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts