• A Widder Lectric-vest

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waiting very patiently for Clearview to offer a replacement shield for the Burgman 400. The way it looks, it'll be warm weather before they have it available. The ride home from the dealer (along with several more miles tonight) stressed the need for something to help me deal with cold weather riding. Riding home from the dealer today I had on a few layers and the chest didn't get too cold but my hands nearly froze. Riding tonight, I used the same clothes and got chilly then added a heavy jacket under my Joe Rocket jacket and stayed warm and my hands didn't freeze.

So I'm going to buy either a Givi shield or a Widder vest. The Givi shield is on sale for 17% off. I could buy it and it'll add wind protection for my body and hands. I can still add additional layers of clothes (making me look like the Sta-Puft marshmallow man) when necessary. Or, I can go ahead and buy a Widder vest, for about the same price as a Givi shield, to keep me warm and holdout for the Clearview whenever it becomes available.

Just to be sporting about this, I'm going to throw logic to the wind and let the forum members decide which of the 2 items will be my next purchase. Cast your vote and select Bill's next scooter accessory.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I voted for the vest, in part because you can choose to use it when it's cold, or not use it when it's hot. When the hot days come, you might like to be in the wind a bit more. Someone needs to come up with a windscreen that attaches with quick-release Dzus fasteners like race car body panels. That way you could put on a small screen for short rides and/or warm weather, or a bigger screen for freeway travel and/or cold weather.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Bill, I can't make the choice for you, but a comment on the GIVI: I have one, put on last fall and it really makes a difference riding in cold weather. However, I couldn't stand looking thru the windshield and cut mine down..which was easy to do...so that I barely look over the top. But because it offers so much wind protection, I'll be changing back to my OEM sheild very shortly...or in a month or so.

As to the vest: have you considered the Gerbing "liner" as they call it? It is really a lightweight zip up jacket that you wear under a heavier jacket, but looks nice enough by itself when you pull the heavy one off to go in a resturant or whatnot. The big plus is it keeps your arms warm. Gerbing makes some top notch products.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Humm, I would have thought that your next 'buy' would have been a very lardy 650!
Not an option in the poll so I guess it has to be a write in!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
'Lectric vest & Gloves. A windshield keeps some wind chill factor away, but it doesn't warm your body. I've ridden naked bikes (no windshield or fairing) in really cold weather using electrically heated clothing.

If your definition of "cold" is 55° F - maybe the windshield. Below that, the electric gear wins - no contest.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I voted for the vest, although I'd like both really, I think I'd get the vest first.
I get coldest around the middle and particularly on my lower back where the wind seems to whip around - I'm thinking the screen won't change that but the vest might. My hands stay warm and dry at the moment with handlebar muffs, so I don't need the extra cover just yet. All I need is a warm back, or someone on the pillion pressing 38DD's into me :D

dave

·
Registered
794 Posts
Concur

pauljo said:
'Lectric vest & Gloves. A windshield keeps some wind chill factor away, but it doesn't warm your body. I've ridden naked bikes (no windshield or fairing) in really cold weather using electrically heated clothing.

If your definition of "cold" is 55° F - maybe the windshield. Below that, the electric gear wins - no contest.
Bill,

I wholeheartedly agree with Paul. I have both. If I had to give one up for cold weather riding, it would be the GIVI. Plus, if you ever want to move to a different scooter/bike, you can take the vest with you.

Regards,

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I can't vote - I know nothing about either! :)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Wear earplugs ... and get the Widder, perhaps with a pair of Widder arm-chaps as well.
The Widder will help you regulate your body temperature all year round. Remember, summer evenings can get chilly too.
:)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Gerbing electric jacket liner (keeps your arms warm too), and glove liners (or heated grips).
More versatile and portable.
Keep them under the seat for chilly morning or evening rides.
Or cold wet rides to wear under your rain gear.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Bill

Being an awkward sod - I say Givi + handlebar muffs. This gives the best combo for cold weather riding, if your trip is an hour or less.

If you are riding longer than that in really cold weather then the heated accoutrements may come in to their own.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Bill
I would put my money were it would get the most use, the Givi windshield - by taking the wind chill factor off your hands lighter gloves will work, your body also will be covered better..
The electric "stuff" is nice but used only 3 or 4 months a year and then not every time you ride. 80% of the time your cold on a bike because air is getting through your clothes, fact is if you can stand still and not be cold then riding makes little difference (if your closed up tight). last point the elect's are not going to help in the fall and summer when bugs and rocks hit your hands.
.The Givi works great and there is no reason to wait for a Clearview , and if you don't like looking through a Givi cutting it down is easy.
WELL YOU ASKED :!: :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Bill, I say don't be a woos! You held out this long, warmer weather is just around the corner for us. My fingers are almost numb in the AM but thaw out bout noontime :wink: I am going to wait and see what kind of windscreen Clearview puts out for us (B 400). Although those Gerbing liners for hands looks awfully enticing esp. with the harness.

I am going to bring my scoot in for it's first 600 mile service! I accidently went over that mark to almost 700 miles this weekend taking advantage of riding with my group in fairly decent weather.

I am definitely holding out for the Clearview before I make my final decision between Clearview & Givi as I absolutely loathe the stock screen. I could care less about bugs having ridden with a short screen and experienced less problems in a sense with wind.

Good-luck Bill :)

Evelyn

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bill's Next Purchase

:D I took the leap a few years back and bought the Gerbing heated jacket liner. I havn't regretted that one bit. It adds warmth to the arms and neck area which you don't get with the widder unless you get the arm chaps. I also added heated grips to my Wing and to the Burgman. I have a duel thermostat mounted on the Burgman in the vacant area next to the Ignition Switch. Works well. I bought the Givi shield the day I picked up the Burgman, I didn"t like it. I modified a Gold Wing shield that I had. I wanted something larger for protection from wind as well as rain. I Had a couple bad experiences with the Givi in hard rain, one on the day I bought It. Of course it was the only game in town in August of 03. Well, Bill, good luck with your choce. I agree that no matter which shield you have, you still get cold when it is cold. Warmth is great. Ride warm. Jerry

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Evelyn wrote
I am definitely holding out for the Clearview before I make my final decision between Clearview & Givi

Myself I am happy w/ Givi, but I also want to see what Clearviev is going to make, I have had 3 Clearview shields and will say nothing but good about them and there service.
But I am going to make a bet here-and-now that the Clearview will be made of thinner material .
Now , is that good or bad I don't know :roll:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Pete said:
I can't vote - I know nothing about either! :)
That's O.K., it didn't stop me. That's what's great about the internet! :D

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
ok then bill darnit....frugal is pokin me at me here! :lol:

- i'd say take the vest.

snap jab dinkitty dog, glow plug snappin mamajama.... 8)

is that a coronet i see in that avatar!?
hmmmm....

I bet that there are a lot of ppl here who have musical talents, but I guess if you're a Trombone player, you may have some difficulty in transporting it to a ICOBO "jam session!" :twisted:

I'll poke the vote button now....

But you know what Bill!? I say get what YOU want. My gut tells me you want the "better" windshield. Shoot, I dunno. Just make up your own mind, screw alla us, and DO IT!

ysb - pedz.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There's good arguments here for both items. I'll be both replacing the shield and buying heated gear eventually. I just thought it'd be fun letting the forum decide which of the two I will get first. Knowing myself, I'd keep debating the 2 items and shopping price online until it was a moot point otherwise. :wink:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Vest!

I bought a vest along with my Burger (side order of vest? :lol: ) and haven't regretted it at all. I commute in the early morning and in the evening rush hour, and on these in-between days, I put it on in the morning and either not wear it or wear it turned off in the evening. You can always unplug it or take it off and stow it if it gets warm. Or in my case, I left work last week with it on, but unplugged. It was a 12 Celsius evening. Halfway home, the temperature dove as I rode through the Sooke Hills. I stopped, plugged in, and resumed heading home.

How do you do that with a shield? :wink:

Simon

1 - 20 of 36 Posts