Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have only ridden my 2003 Burgman 6 times in the last 2 years (two of those were today), so it's been quite awhile since I've been on this website.

Today I changed the oil in the engine, transmission & rear drive. When the engine is idling I can hear a slight intermittent chirping or squeal from the engine or drive train (not the diesel sound it's always made). Anybody hazard a guess what that could be?

Also, when I apply the front brake lever, it seems that the lever sticks, & all of a sudden the brakes come on hard & the forks dive - not a smooth transition like the rear brakes. Not sure if the problem is the lever, the master piston in the master cylinder, or the brake fluid needs to be changed. The brake pads are fairly new. Ideas?

Will bleed the system first to see if this changes anything. Not sure what to do after that. :sad:

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Welcome back where have you been these last several years?;)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome back where have you been these last several years?;)
At my Wife's insistence, four years ago we bought a Honda Goldwing & have been traveling a lot in the Pacific Northwest. She likes the couch on the back of the GW, with the armrests, so she can sleep while on the road. :rolleyes:

Forgotten how much fun the Burgy was to ride. It's just been patiently sitting in the warm basement for two years, just waiting for me to take it out for a spin.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Well we have no problem with your infidelity, you are back now and safe, that is all that matters.:)

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Today I changed the oil in the engine, transmission & rear drive. When the engine is idling I can hear a slight intermittent chirping or squeal from the engine or drive train (not the diesel sound it's always made). Anybody hazard a guess what that could be?
Does it only do it warm or after its been ridden and you can only hear it with your helmet off?

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
30,000 miles
Welcome back to the 650 family....

Hopefully it is nothing more than the belt / CVT getting back into regular use.

Considering your mileage and the fact that it sat for 2 years, it may be prudent to
Drop the engine and replace the primary pulley bearing if you plan on keeping it.

Its a 2_3 days project if you have the time.

Good preventive maintenance as the bearing is often at the heart of the problem
on the 03-04 models which often ends up in destroying the primary pulley and
the belt.

Or you could ride it until it fails.

Enjoy the 650.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome back to the 650 family....

Hopefully it is nothing more than the belt / CVT getting back into regular use.
Hopefully. I've been looking around at the site & the chirping thing is not making me feel very happy. Suzuki must have used cheap bearings like they did on the wheels, which I replaced long time ago before they seized (a 'heads-up' that I got from this site). Did not expect this in their engines though, as my previous experiences with Suzuki engines are they are bullet proof. Guess not this time. :(

Because of the high cost of insurance here in BC, I need to sell the Burgman ASAP while the weather is nice. As much as I like the Burgy, my wife won't let me sell the Goldwing. :D

Hopefully the guy in Poland is still sealing the part to get rid of the diesel sound during idle. Would I be so lucky that it also would get rid of the chirp/squeak? One can only hope! :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
In regards to the,

Brakes and diving front end sound's like a, or Both Front Forks are,or have been, leaking, and the fork oil has leaked down on to the brake pads and/or calipers.

As far as the chirping noise, it could still be a wheel bearing, if installed in correctly or a bad bearing to start with, or that great bearing that you thought you put in was actually a Chinese counterfeit bearing, and is already worn out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts