Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone else around the world has run across this before or not.

Ok I've got just over 22,000 miles on my '03. Not sure how long ago (maybe a month) but it starting chirping which is noticeable at idle and up to 3,000 to 4,000 rpms. It seems to be getting worse slightly and coming from underneath on the right side. You don't here it with the helmet on only off. More concerning is that some people have said that doesn't sound right after I ride by and park. I took it over to a local dealer and spoke to someone who has worked on a couple (broken belt on a '05 with about 40,000 miles and stalling on a new '07). He listened to it and mentioned something I had thought about that worries me. He suggested looking at it in more detail (which I will do as soon as I can). The thought at first (by another tech who didn't know this kinda bike very well) was maybe a belt but being a auto mechanic I felt something wasn't right with that suggestion. So I talked to the "Burgman" guy and he thinks it might be (hard to tell without teardown) a bearing in the clutch. This has me worried since a failure on the output side could lead to rear wheel lockup while riding it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did some searching, might be a belt based on a few others posting. Wonder if I should just tear into it myself. Might take some of the body work off and see if I can isolate the noise to one area.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I wanted to post on this and tell you that I read your post yesterday and had no input on the noise. Since noone else has either, I suspect we are hoping that you find it for us.

I can tell you that on deceleration (Roll off the throttle) every once in a while, I can hear a slight chirp. I have not given consideration to what it might be as it only happens pretty infrequently and the bike never has problems on accelerating.

Joe

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the noise seems more on the right side. I'll have to wait until I get back from England (mid-July) before I can find out more. I'll pull the body work off and see if I can isolate it. The chirping does stop momentarily when I push the A/M button so it could yet be something as simple as a belt. I figure if I can get some access through the CVT filter I might put a drop of water on the belt when it's running to see if it is in fact the belt. I'll post more when I know and with luck some pictures.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For whatever it's worth, my AN400 has been "chirping" at certain speed ranges since I've owned it, and I've yet to see any problems come of it. I also noticed it on a 650 that I test-drove at a dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Are you talking about a 'chirp' that sounds like the one you can hear when switching from D to M or back (I hear this best when I'm stopped, just idling)?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a constant chirping that is not normal while idling and with raised RPM's.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Are your oil levels and all the obvious/basic stuff good? (don't have much to offer in the way of suggestions, but may as well start with the basics, right? ;) )

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GammelDansk said:
Are your oil levels and all the obvious/basic stuff good? (don't have much to offer in the way of suggestions, but may as well start with the basics, right? ;) )
Yup, never had any problems there.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also posted in the primary spline failure sticky. Here's the end to this story (abit years later).

Ok so I decided to remove the CVT from my '03 this weekend and tear into it so the failure could be documented.

Here's where it started back in April-May of 2007 with about 22,000 mile on the odometer.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22461

Then came this post.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38256&start=142

I already knew based on Burgermann's starting of this thread what to look for when the splines failed in July 2010 with 26,228 miles on the odometer. At that time I pulled the cover for the CVT input adapter gear and could see that the bolt had spun on the gear. Putting a socket on it made the rear wheel turn but not the engine driven gear so I knew it was the splines most likely due to a bad bearing and slop between the way the adapter gear fit onto the primary pulley shaft.

So here's the photos. The damage is what I expected based on tearing into my '06 but the shaft is ground worse. Same failures of the bearing leading to destruction of the primary pulley shaft with the added damage caused by the adapter gear. By the time you hear it my guess is that it's already too late to save the primary pulley assembly.

Here's the bike torn down to get the CVT out.

Here's the inside of the input adapter gear showing some damage.

Here you can see all the ground up metal turned to rust and that there's no splines left on the primary pulley shaft.

The bad input bearing.

And finally the severe damage to the primary pulley shaft.

Additional photos can be found here. http://www.gotgroceries.net/modules.php ... temId=1147

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I get a chirp/sharp windy whistle type of noise on mine when changing from auto to manual at idle and I hear a the same noise when the gears change in manual. I also hear it a lot in auto mode. It's got about 4,000 miles on it and it has done it from new. I'm not bothered about it.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve D UK said:
I get a chirp/sharp windy whistle type of noise on mine when changing from auto to manual at idle and I hear a the same noise when the gears change in manual. I also hear it a lot in auto mode. It's got about 4,000 miles on it and it has done it from new. I'm not bothered about it.
As you can see mine was this failure and it was a light chirping just running after warm and with my helmet off. The noise when shifting between modes is a momentary chirp as the drive belt is adjusted and tensioned by the electric motor/secondary pulley which is normal.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Repair Estimate for the 2003 based on list prices and local labor rate of $85/hr if I had a shop do the repairs.

Part # QTY Description Cost/Item Cost/Ext
99950-06015 2.0 50/50 PREMIX COOLANT 7.50 $15
21748-10G10 1.0 BOLT, SHAFT STOP 6.06 $6.06
21852-10G10 1.0 SEAL, SECONDARY PULLEY 19.75 $19.75
21916-10G00 1.0 O-RING, CVT CASE 11.50 $11.5
21747-10G00 1.0 O-RING, PRIMARY PULLEY 9.25 $9.25
21746-10G00 1.0 SHIM SET, PRIMARY 32.75 $32.75
21070-10810 1.0 PULLEY SET, PRIMARY 855.50 $855.5
21757-10G00 1.0 SEAL, PRIMARY PULLEY 13.25 $13.25
09280-21014 1.0 O-RING 2.25 $2.25
21751-10G00 1.0 BEARING, PRIMARY PULLEY 33.75 $33.75
21755-10GA0 1.0 ADAPTER, PRIMARY FIXED 115.75 $115.75
21756-10G00 1.0 BOLT, PRIMARY FIXED 6.25 $6.25

Parts Subtotal $1121.06
Tax (7.750%) $86.88
Parts and Tax 1207.94

Labor
Job # QTY Description Cost/Hr Cost/Ext
GS40R0 12.6 CVT INNER PARTS R&R $85.00 $1071.00

Labor Subtotal $1071
Tax (0.000%) $0.00
Labor and Tax $1071

Labor and Parts Total $2,278.94

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
My paranoia is about to break out, so could anyone post sound files of a healthy Burgman 650 and a sick one as well?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ErikDK said:
My paranoia is about to break out, so could anyone post sound files of a healthy Burgman 650 and a sick one as well?
There's a couple of one on the chirping noise, the most recent being with a video. I wasn't able to satisfactorily because the recording equipment I had caught more of the lower frequencies. It sounds just like a light chirping noise of a loose drive belt on a car as it just sits idling (helmet off).

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Well don't they all say something from the belt? That's why I'm interested in hearing the sound of one known to be good.

I don't have the option of listening to a real low-mileage specimen live.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello from Woodstock Ga.
Had the same problem last week,when my tire guy pulled the rear and replaced the tire,he found the wheel bearing on the right side (Brake Rotor side) was shot. had him replace it and its OK now, No more chirping.

Hope that's all you need. Bearing and seal just under $25.00 He charged me $40.00 to replace it. (tricky some balls fell out)
08123-62047 Bearing
09285-28001 seal
Clyde (milbecker1)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Forgot to mention that mine is an 03 650 with 16,000 miles on it. Thought it odd that just the right bearing was bad while the left just fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had a chirping noise on my 03 650, Took it in to a tire shop for a rear tire. While I was breaking in the tire, the chirping got louder. Took it back to the tire guy and he removed the rear wheel,and the bearing was missing some balls and almost completely failed. At 16,000 miles I thought it was strange that just the right (Rotor side) was bad,the other no damage at all. Hope they didn't take your bike apart only to find this as a rear wheel bearing failure as well. The bearing was less than $20.00 including a new seal. Sounds like they use cheap parts on this bike ! The bolt that causes the most damage is about $5.00 and I believe the old to be grade 5 and the new grade 8. Having worked as a toolmaker for years,there is a big difference in hardening,the 8 being harder. Good Luck, Clyde

1 - 20 of 31 Posts