Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I’ve been intrigued by this type of roofed scooter ever since I saw BMW’s version years ago . Today I stumbled on this review on you-tube , then did a search on a national Craigslist and found several for sale , one close by . See ad at bottom of page . I’m not big on a 150 ,......but it might be a fun toy ?

This is a review from an owner who put 20,000 miles on one ..............
A CHINESE SCOOTER 20,000 miles ? .......... WHO KNEW?
I wonder if HE KNEW (or knows) the speedo / odo on his threewheeler is displaying kilometres and not miles? 20,000km is only around 12,500 miles. ;)

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The reality is that all the Chinese bikes are clones of Japanese models. The GY series of engines are all Suzuki GS125 clones at the end of the day.

I wouldn't criticise them too much, however. In my experience the quality is pretty good overall, although with a few disappointing weaknesses (mainly plastics and rubber parts). I bought a new Haobon 125 in China 5 years back and rode 5,000 miles around China on it in a month. Given the oft absymal road and traffic conditions I was extremely impressed at being able to travel on average 300 miles per day, at an average speed of 25mph and 100mpg.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
'not sure I agree Elliott.

Firstly, it gets a lot hotter than 85F in China - ever tried to crosss the Gobi Desert in mid-summer, makes Death Valley feel like it's in the shade ;)

The concern I had with the plastics was the thickness and brittleness. Unlike The Japanese ABS plastics, which are quite flexible, the Chinese manufacturers seem to predominantly use a hard brittle plastic which does not flex easily and withstand vibration well - note this is NOT a criticism of the quality of the plastic, but a comment on the TYPE of plastic, used.

As for mechanics refusing to work on Chinese bikes, I would suggest these mechanics are descendants of the same troglodytes who refused to work on Japanese bikes in the late '60s due to their "ricepaper construction standards" - probably the same people who still call "duct tape" duck tape, even though the original manufacturer renamed it 60+ years ago. ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.