Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been intrigued by this type of roofed scooter ever since I saw BMW’s version years ago . Today I stumbled on this review on you-tube , then did a search on a national Craigslist and found several for sale , one close by . See ad at bottom of page . I’m not big on a 150 ,......but it might be a fun toy ?

This is a review from an owner who put 20,000 miles on one ..............
A CHINESE SCOOTER 20,000 miles ? .......... WHO KNEW ?

This is one I found for sale fairly close to home .

2008 Auto Moto

$1,600 | Lansing, MI

Price:$1,600Location:Lansing, MI (map)Category:MotorcyclesAd Created:1 month ago
2008 Auto Moto. 816 miles. $1,600 or best offer. Please call 517-485-5343.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I’ve been intrigued by this type of roofed scooter ever since I saw BMW’s version years ago . Today I stumbled on this review on you-tube , then did a search on a national Craigslist and found several for sale , one close by . See ad at bottom of page . I’m not big on a 150 ,......but it might be a fun toy ?

This is a review from an owner who put 20,000 miles on one ..............
A CHINESE SCOOTER 20,000 miles ? .......... WHO KNEW?
I wonder if HE KNEW (or knows) the speedo / odo on his threewheeler is displaying kilometres and not miles? 20,000km is only around 12,500 miles. ;)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if HE KNEW (or knows) the speedo / odo on his threewheeler is displaying kilometres and not miles? 20,000km is only around 12,500 miles. ;)
HEY ! if it were 20,000 feet it's still impressive for a CHINESE scooter :D

TheReaper!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I left the chinese scooter world when I came to the Bergie. Belive me there is no comparison. Mine had 4000 mi in the last 5 years. If your good at electrical work you might give it a try. But I wasn't I gave it to my brother who is a mechanic and he loves it.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Been! to 2 of those China Scooters None of them Lasted 3 years out here in Hot weather, Will never go with them ever again, Cheap materials

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I like Chinese FOOD .......only......... and not scooters

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Chinese products have their place in the world and the list seems to be ever expanding. They do not, however, belong underneath you hurdling you forward at highway speeds. I've seen too many parts fall off them to trust the brakes, let alone my life to them.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
More 5 & 10 cent store quality Chinese scrap.

Only Chinese product me buy is Chinese fortune cookie made in Canada or USA, it crumble in mouth not crumble under me.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Back in the 90's I got what I thought was a great deal on a new Sundiro 50cc scooter. I bought it to commute 3 miles to work and to run errands on. That thing was a piece of crap. Stranded me frequently, needed constant attention to run at all and that sort of things. The body work was made of cheap plastics. Parts were tough to get. I did put about 4,500 miles on it in the two years I owned it. I do have to admit when it did run, it ran like a scalded cat. Really fast for a 50cc two stroke. Then someone took it one night when I left it out in my driveway. I am quite surprised that they didn't return it after having it for a while. Shows that some people will steal anything.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Back in the 90's I got what I thought was a great deal on a new Sundiro 50cc scooter. I bought it to commute 3 miles to work and to run errands on. That thing was a piece of crap. Stranded me frequently, needed constant attention to run at all and that sort of things. The body work was made of cheap plastics. Parts were tough to get. I did put about 4,500 miles on it in the two years I owned it. I do have to admit when it did run, it ran like a scalded cat. Really fast for a 50cc two stroke. Then someone took it one night when I left it out in my driveway. I am quite surprised that they didn't return it after having it for a while. Shows that some people will steal anything.
It stolen for make scrap metal, sent to China, China turn it to scrap again, make scrap quality product again and send again to North America to get $$. Take money they get from scrap new product sale and lend $$ to USA, this part of China strategy for control USA financially.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I had a Chinese 250 Helix clone that I put 18,000 miles on. I road it down to Key West and up to Georgia. Only problem I had with it was it came with 35W headlight bulbs in it and they kept blowing. The dealer changed them to 55W bulbs and they worked fine. I sold it when I get my 05 Burgman 400. It is still on the road with its third owner, not sure how many miles on it now but it has not been in for service yet this year. So some times you can find a good Chinese scooter.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I had a Chinese 250 Helix clone that I put 18,000 miles on. I road it down to Key West and up to Georgia. Only problem I had with it was it came with 35W headlight bulbs in it and they kept blowing. The dealer changed them to 55W bulbs and they worked fine. I sold it when I get my 05 Burgman 400. It is still on the road with its third owner, not sure how many miles on it now but it has not been in for service yet this year. So some times you can find a good Chinese scooter.
To be fair, it is a Japanese design of a bullet proof bike. But good to know.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I saw a chinese one on fire (really) in a parking lot a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
The reality is that all the Chinese bikes are clones of Japanese models. The GY series of engines are all Suzuki GS125 clones at the end of the day.

I wouldn't criticise them too much, however. In my experience the quality is pretty good overall, although with a few disappointing weaknesses (mainly plastics and rubber parts). I bought a new Haobon 125 in China 5 years back and rode 5,000 miles around China on it in a month. Given the oft absymal road and traffic conditions I was extremely impressed at being able to travel on average 300 miles per day, at an average speed of 25mph and 100mpg.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yeah! Speaking the Lead that's Put into it? Surprised some One did not get Sick! Riding it? Speaking of stranded i had to walk one 3 miles to the House, what a nightmare, The plastic's are not High Quality like Some Plastics, In Hot weather the Plastic Cracks up real Bad, 89 - 99 -100 Degrees it won't be nothing left of it. Out there in China the the Heat index never reaches 85' for the plastic to crack up, Lots of Mechanics won't even work on those Bikes here in the CA, So your Stuck with a bike that won't run anymore, I looked all over, even made Calls, As soon as the repair man ask where is it's Made, i could not Lie, So i said CHINA, I got hanged up on Or O No We Don't work on CHINA,Sorry!! one repair shop even told me to go out and get a Real scooter and Hung up in my face! there's this one Guy i see everyday on One! he has Duck tape holding it together, He ask about my Burg, Told him never had Problems with mines with Duck tape!!

more weakness then just Plastic and Rubbers Fella, you can't even get the Screws & Bolts off with out Striping or Snapping them.

GY6 Garbage the Original GY6 Was a HONDA not that China GY6 Clone Copy, you think that engine won't crack all so your Wrong even China is Aluminum Cheap and is water down ,i had to Order a whole new engine, the original Cracked all the way around the other side of the Cylinder.. Even the New engine had Problems,,,

Now one thing i liked about Chinese scooters that you can find All Kinds of Performance Parts for just about every thing for it? That's if you can keep the DA** thing running

good Chinese scooter. HHmm, As yet to be seen Just a Dream.

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
'not sure I agree Elliott.

Firstly, it gets a lot hotter than 85F in China - ever tried to crosss the Gobi Desert in mid-summer, makes Death Valley feel like it's in the shade ;)

The concern I had with the plastics was the thickness and brittleness. Unlike The Japanese ABS plastics, which are quite flexible, the Chinese manufacturers seem to predominantly use a hard brittle plastic which does not flex easily and withstand vibration well - note this is NOT a criticism of the quality of the plastic, but a comment on the TYPE of plastic, used.

As for mechanics refusing to work on Chinese bikes, I would suggest these mechanics are descendants of the same troglodytes who refused to work on Japanese bikes in the late '60s due to their "ricepaper construction standards" - probably the same people who still call "duct tape" duck tape, even though the original manufacturer renamed it 60+ years ago. ;)

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
A house I used to pass had a scooter in the front garden with a sign on it saying" Free take it way," it was there for weeks, then they changed the sign to "For sale £150" it disappeared the same night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts