Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is checking the oil on a 650 a simple matter of placing it on the center stand and checking the sight glass?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Yep!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Those little keychain LED lights are pretty cheap -- those little ones you squeeze to turn on, and are smaller than a quarter. I wonder if there's some place under the floorboard where you could mount one, pointed at the sight glass. That way you could just stoop down, give the light a quick squeeze, and check the oil.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Or keep the keychain light on a clip on your keychain. That way you'll always have it with you when you've got your key, and it won't be subjected to the same dirt/grime everything else under the bike is. Unclip it from the chain if you want to check the oil while the engine is running.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The only thing on the ring with my Burgman key is a Photon Freedom Micro LED light from : http://www.photonlight.com/ . Very handy to have.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
The only hard part is getting down on your hands and knees so that you can see the darn sight glass. Actually, getting down on your hands and knees isn't so hard. It's getting back up! :shock:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I wouldn't gripe about the sight glass, it's much easier to check than the dip stick on the 400. :tard:

·
Registered
52 Posts
dip stick vs sight glass

billmeek said:
I wouldn't gripe about the sight glass, it's much easier to check than the dip stick on the 400. :tard:
I have to diagree Bill, it's hard enough getting down there but getting back up is a real pain. :cry: And cking the oil on the 400 is much easier for me. :wink: I don't have to get down and then get back up. Pauljo is right. :lol: Someday when your older and have bad knees you'll understand. :roll:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Re: dip stick vs sight glass

Red Eagle said:
Someday when your older and have bad knees you'll understand. :roll:
Knees are in pretty good condition, but my right hip is shot. The longer I have to stay in a squatting position, there worse it is. With the sight glass you can get down there, take a look, and then get back up in a short amount of time. With the 400 you have to untwist the oil level guage (careful not to burn your fingers), wipe the stick, check the oil level, and put the oil level guage back in without cross-threading (like mine has once). I'd gladly trade the dip stick for a sight glass.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I carry a big towel in my trunk at all times. When I get off work (at 1:30AM) it's great for wiping the dew off my seat, and folded up it makes a great pad for the ol' knees when I'm checking oil and coolant.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Brian said:
I carry a big towel in my trunk at all times. When I get off work (at 1:30AM) it's great for wiping the dew off my seat, and folded up it makes a great pad for the ol' knees when I'm checking oil and coolant.
A small pillow and a book could be welcome additions for those that have mobility problems. Then if it is all too much just stay down there get comfortable and read a couple of chapters! :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts