Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The owners manual is difficult to understand about checking the oil level. It states to put the scooter on the center stand, run 3 min, and then"hold the motorcycle vertically and inspect the egine oil level through the engine oil level inspection window on the left side of the engine." Does this mean you have to take the scooter off the center stand to inspect the oil level?
injun

·
Super Moderator
8,075 Posts
oil

I keep mine on the centerstand because it's level right to left. I find it easer to check it after I get gas because its been running, then off for a time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had trouble finding the oil level indicator...not having an owners manual. You find it through a hole in the cover of the floor board...the service manual gives no indication of this!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
There are lots of threads in this forum reference checking the oil, and lots of opinions/techniques. It seems most will check it while it's on the center stand, though some will check it off the center stand with something/someone holding the bike vertical. I personally think the technique Jim mentioned works well, as I always refuel with the bike on the center stand. So it's a convenient time to check the oil.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The correct procedure is what you mentioned. Place bike on center stand on level ground. Run engine for at least 3 minutes then wait about 3 minutes then look and see where oil level is. I use a small flashlight, for me it makes it easier to read. The important thing to remember is that unless oil is below the bottom line do not add oil. If you overfill it can cause a gasket or seal to leak when running, remember when running system in under pressure. I check my oil and tires weekly and before any long rides. Once a month is a good idea to check coolant level.
I'm lucky to have room in my garage for my bike so I also check the concrete around the bike for any liquid leaks.

The manual as well as the Service manual are not very clear on many instructions, I guess they make the manuals figuring that you are supposed to be experienced with mechanics or at least know the basics and also know all the parts and names.
I purchased the service manual hopping it would show me how to remove the tupperware, step by step. But no such luck the Factory Suzuki manual assumes you removed all that and is mostly very vain. Seems they designed the manual to help the trained mechanics at the dealer and not a novice user. This forum is great to help avoid costly mistakes. Some motorcycle Manuals are very comprehensive and well designed and I expected that for $99.00 this one would be but its not. I have A&P aircraft and ASE auto certifications and many times I come to the forum still. There are many youtube videos for the Burgman that can help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts