Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
Maybe I'll ride over there and ask the service guy to check my tires, then show him the text where I asked for 90 degree stems.
Can you manage to get this sort of thing on?

(I searched Amazon for Schrader valve extension, which results in a lot of similar products. I prefer the screw-on kind, vs. the clip-on kind; the latter takes more room, and is not as reliable, IMO.)

If so, you can check and add air that way. When I had a couple of baggers -- particularly my Victory Cross Country Tour, with its massive hard saddlebags -- I kept a 10" version of that sort of device in one saddlebag, expressly for checking the rear tire (because the saddlebag in the way made getting anything but a hand in there very difficult).

If you can't even get an extension like that on, I would have the tire remounted, with a proper sideways valve, or you're SOL. See this thread:

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
1) Adjustable (!) Air Chuck:

This is another possibility, one that I forgot I had on my shelf:
Tool Electric blue Bicycle part Office supplies Font

I think I got this around the time I got my Victory bagger, but I haven't used it much since (probably because I found the extension hose even more convenient). Regardless, this thing works as advertised, and the angle is adjustable (in fact, I had to loosen the bolt you see in that picture, in order to get it to turn to the angle I wanted. In any case, a quality product, like most things from Motion Pro, and it may help out.

2) TPMS, But Not In This Case:

I have a FOBO TPMS on my (for sale) 650 Exec, and like it a lot. I just stand next to the scoot pretty much before I leave the garage, do a couple of clicks on my phone, and see the pressure in each tire. Very handy as a pre-ride check. Some brands of TPMS require the wheels to start rotating some number of turns, to wake up the system, before giving a current pressure reading, but this is NOT the case with the FOBO. I'd say that TPMS may be a case where you get what you pay for.

Additionally, I have the FOBO T-valve stems installed. (FOBO doesn't seem to list them on their web site anymore, but you can still see them at WingStuff and some other sites, e.g., wingstuff.com/products/37222-t-valve-optional-accessory-for-fobo-2-tpms ). These allow you to add (or subtract) air without removing the TPMS sensors. Also very handy.

BUT ...

But you should never add TPMS sensors to rubber valve stems. The extra torque of the extra mass may cause the stem to fail. Several TPMS vendors specifically note this caveat in descriptions of their products. (I wrote an article on one TPMS system -- no longer sold for bikes -- for webBikeWorld some years back, so I have researched this particular aspect). Thus, sensors should be added only to metal valve stems, and this is not the case with the OP's new stems.

ALSO ...

Also, if you were to replace those valve stems with straight metal ones, you have to ensure that there is clearance for the sensors. This may be an issue with respect to brake calipers, or anything else in there. I am not familiar with the rims, calipers, etc., on a 400 Burgie, so that is something to be checked out. (For instance, there is not sufficient clearance for sensors on my new BMW 400, which is a shame, IMO.)

So: there might be clearance issues with the current stems vis-a-vis TPMS sensors, and you would not want to add them to rubber stems, anyway.

That's all I got (for now).

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
I have one, can't get in there, it would be good if it was a "reverse" 45...
Check out that Motion Pro gizmo I mentioned earlier. It can obtuse and acute angles.

Reactions: BurgDanno

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
These are what I think I will get, will they fit? Then I'll have them if I need them.
2 Black Ariete Bridgeport 90/83 degree 8.3mm angled valve stems Made in Italy | eBay
What @Dave_J wrote.

And as I wrote in this post ...

Kurvey Girl is a very dumb name, but a very reputable on-line shop, one that I've ordered stuff from for at least a decade.

Here is that site's colorful valve stem assortment, similar to the product that you linked to:

And here's a colorful page from Sound Rider, another long-time outfit that I can personally vouch for:

And, last but certainly not least, here's Kurvey Girl's page on which you can see that Suzuki uses nothing but the more common 11.3mm rim-hole size:

Reactions: BurgDanno

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts

· Premium Member
2,462 Posts
11.3 and 8.3mm:

Hopefully not to beat a dead horse, but those looking for yet more confirmation regarding the two standard motorcycle rim-hole diameter sizes (let's ignore trucks and suchlike), here is FOBO's guide to installing their T-valves (which I have on my '08 Burgman Exec). This is a seven-page, 700KB PDF download,

In this case, the diameter of the valve to be screwed into a rim is small enough that it will fit into either hole size. They discuss which spacer/washer gizmo is needed, or not, for each rim-hole size. For most valves, however, like the ones from Kurvey Girl et al., you buy either the bigger size for the bigger hole, or the smaller size for the smaller hole. Go ahead, check out this short document:

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts