Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased an 08 400 in April and was told that the tires were replaced just prior to my purchase from the second owner of the bike. The scooter had 3400 miles on the dial. He was and I believe an honest guy and took it for face value.

The usual tire check (air pressure) did not show any signs of excessive wear or need for replacement. I did decided to check them for age after 4k plus miles which would put them at close to 8k. I found the rear to be new but to my surprise the front was OE. It was made in April of 2007. That is a bit too old for my comfort and thoughts of safety, so the tire has been replaced.

Check those tires! They may look ok but looks can be deceiving!!

Pastor Tyler

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
You are right Pastor. Tyres have a safe life of around 5 years. If a tyre has been in storage though, away from light, heat etc it slows down the rate of rubber deteriation so if someone stored an oem tyre for a year or two before fitting, it can still be ok to run it for 4-5 years and be safe. I recently replaced all tyre on my own car at just 3 years old due to cracking of the tyre sidewalls and cracks between the treads. Mileage on that car was less than 12,000 miles. Yeah...I know. Very low miles on that one. But replacement was needed due to the fact we lived right on the coast next to the sea. The ozone from the sea, plus the salt atmosphere accelarated the rubber deterioration markedly and made them unsafe. Just another example of how tyres wear out.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
QM, If a new tire is not going to be used for a year or so, would wrapping with plastic wrap help keep it sticky? Tx

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Thanks QM. Let's see...what else can I wrap up, oh yeah, leftovers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts