Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped my bike yesterday. Almost at a stop going up the hill in my driveway, I blipped the throttle a little too enthusiastically on deep, loose gravel. I didn't have a foot down so the back end kicked out and in a second the bike was on its right side in the weeds at 0 mph.

In a second or two the "I'm on my side" sensor turned the engine off. I switched off the ignition to make it official. Couple of seconds later I had the bike back on its wheels, fired it up and rode it into the garage. The only damage appeared to be some minor scratches at the very bottom of the fairing. I had a minor bruise on my left ankle. Whew!

Went for a ride later and discovered another issue: the right side mirror was completely floppy. Up, down, left, right, even the stalk was loose where it attached to the handle bar. I resigned myself to the cost of a new mirror. Maybe I could buy one from one of the forum members who went the aftermarket route. But when I got home I discovered that the mirror was actually OK. All three of its adjustment points had been loosened by the impact and had backed away from their lock nuts. A couple of minutes with wrenches and it was good as new. A lot of people don't like the looks of the stock mirrors, (I think they look a little weird and don't mind) but I call that good engineering.

So this morning I put on all my gear, hopped on the bike, and got CHEC instead of the time. The bike won't start. Double check the side stand is up. Yep. Put it down and back up again. No help. Switch the ignition off and on again. Still CHEC. I was running late already so I hopped in the cage for what should have been a beautiful motorcycle ride.

So this afternoon it was trouble shooting time. If it wasn't the side stand switch I was prepared for a long slog. But the problem was fixed in seconds, and I didn't even have to open my tool box.

Like the Car Talk Puzzler, you now have all the clues necessary to solve the problem. So what was wrong, and how do you know?

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
You tripped the kill switch to the off position while you were working on the mirror. And I know because I've unknowingly tripped mine a time or two and it took me a minute to realize what I had done.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buffalo said:
You tripped the kill switch to the off position while you were working on the mirror. And I know because I've unknowingly tripped mine a time or two and it took me a minute to realize what I had done.
Awww, no fair! There were supposed to be some wrong guesses first. <grin>

You're absolutely right Buffalo, and solved the puzzler in ten minutes. I wish there was a prize.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Many people trip it and don't even get to experience the fun part where you're supposed to drop the bike first. :lol:

I think the kill switch is a great anti-theft device. If the owners forget about it and can't start their bikes, would a casual thief think of it?

Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've done the exact same thing from the exact same cause. Except it was mud on my driveway instead of gravel.

Funny though, I don't remember seeing CHEC - it just wouldn't turn over.

·
Premium Member
14,228 Posts
Captain Obvious said:
If you want wrong answers you have to make the question harder :lol: .

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Captain Obvious said:
Buffalo said:

You're absolutely right Buffalo, and solved the puzzler in ten minutes. I wish there was a prize.
You were being just too 'obvious'.

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
Buffalo is batting 1000 this week. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Hammer said:
Buffalo is batting 1000 this week. :thumbup:
He usually does............ :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
8,130 Posts
you forgot to add the sentence I panicked and almost (fill in the necessary visuals) after seeing the chec .

my wallet always contracts painfully every time that happens

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
I think the kill switch is a great anti-theft device. If the owners forget about it and can't start their bikes, would a casual thief think of it?
Don't ALL motorcycles have kill switches? So really, it would only slow them down about 5 seconds. If they're that casual the lack of a key would probably stop them. (Unless I've gone and left my key in the ignition... again.) I think the parking brake would be far more effective because they're not found on most bikes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mosquitoes don't like the way I taste. So as long a someone else is along with me I tend to stay unbitten -- which annoys the other folks no end, but that's another story.

I'd think that the Burgman would be in the same position with regard to the casual motorcycle thief. As long as there are cruisers and 600cc sportbikes in the neighborhood I expect my Burgman would be overlooked. Where's the market? They may be great rides but they're not all that popular. And after all, are YOU going to buy a hot Burgman? Can you imagine the casual thief riding it like he stole it?

At least that's my perspective from the US.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts