Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of buying an $180 pair of motorcycle pants, why not buy a pair of snowpants for skiing (only $49) and $12 kneepads? The snowpants will keep you warm while the kneepads are a cheap but effective alternative to protecting banged up knees.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Instead of buying an $180 pair of motorcycle pants, why not buy a pair of snowpants for skiing (only $49) and $12 kneepads? The snowpants will keep you warm while the kneepads are a cheap but effective alternative to protecting banged up knees.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/20-safety-tips-ideas/71385-my-gear-saved-my-rear-literally.html

This is why you buy the $180 pair of MC pants. This past weekend My rear end would have been shredded without them. I don't know how resilient snow pants are, but right equipment for the job at hand is best practice. Also, I live in So CA, snow pants really aren't an option.

But, I can personally say the price of a pair of good MC pants is WELL worth the lack of road rash and burns I surely would have suffered without them

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
if your ass in only worth $50 then it is a valid strategy.

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,157 Posts
Motocross knee guards do a good job or better than the armor in the riding pants and are cheap and effective.

Then the riding pants are up to the individual to choose the level of abrasion resistance.

I use these - easy on and off and work and more protection - articulated, and fit snug to the knee which riding pants do not.

$14 and yes they work as the deep gouges on mine attest to.

I bought some Kevlar jeans but found them too bulky and heavy,

Mesh tho works and are light enough not to bother me.

$100 or so

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/olympia-recon-3-mesh-pants

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Baseball catcher guards (various sizes available). Flexible as far a catcher who is up and down. Can't find picture in my files of thsoe when I ahd them on.

I wear chaps over them (then just look like nay MC Rider) - perforated chaps in the summer.

One problem is no protection for rear end with chaps. Jeans with Kevlar would fix that, but I have not bought any - tried some on and did not like the ones I tried (Cycle Gear ones in $69 range).

I do worry about that, but have not provided any protection. (some of the kevlar under garments might work and be comfortable). I do use hip pads that fit inside my jeans (secured by belt) and they go around to the rear a bit, but would not really offer rear end protection).

One other problem -- Chaps have to be bought large enough in legs to go over the catcher guards, which generally makes them a bit baggy in other areas and large in the waist ( depends on your shape - :) ).

I wear a back support belt when (which I might add makes an excellent back rest when combined with the standard back rest on a Burgman 400 or 650). Anyway, that takes up some of the large waist problem on the chaps.

Last pair of chaps I bought fit pretty well and are not real baggy even though larger than my size due to needing the size to go over the Catcher Guards.

Many ways to do it -- but I agree that it is best to have something for knees besides just pads in the pants (Riding pants) as they do not stay in place (usually riding pants are baggy).

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
THe mesh above can be worn over any pants ( I wear over shorts on a hot day ) and I hardly notice them at all riding tho are "drapy" when walking.

Mesh will protect.

The motocross guards above are really inexpensive tho I've since switch to set of Zeus

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-zeus-knee-protectors

and am considering the same for my elbow/forearm as I'm not certain the armor in the jacket stays in place to protect the joint.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/forcefield-extreme-arm-protectors

this is one reason I'm considering that

In July 2011 Tracy Bader crashed in Montana. Riding at 110kph/65mph her V-Star’s brake line kinked, locking up the front brake. She endo’d, landing on her head, rolling a couple of times before sliding in a semi-sitting position. The bike skidded for 14 ft and then slid an additional 156 ft. Tracy slid on the road for 160 ft. Tracy received road rash on her left forearm and hands, and the usual cuts and bruises, but walked away without serious injury. Banged up she is, but without mesh gear she would have done far worse. Her Joe Rocket Cleo jacket’s armour protected her. The mesh abraded but did not melt.

Mesh is cool and works...pants too.

·
Registered
370 Posts
"In July 2011 Tracy Bader crashed in Montana. Riding at 110kph/65mph her V-Star’s brake line kinked, locking up the front brake"

How exactly could a brake line "kink" and lock up a brake? Esp while riding on a road. Like a lot of you, I've been riding for 55+ years and have never heard of, nor can I figure out, how such a thing could happen, and even if it did, it wouldn't lock up a brake, but rather would keep the brake from working. I understand the safety gear discussion, but the incident described makes no sense.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
DId wonder about that but more interested in the mesh photos

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think that if the brake were applied, it then would not release. The kink probably acted as a check valve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts