Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my old bike I had a nifty OEM luggage rack.
Loved it. I'd put the tbox on when I was going to be out for more than a day, but the under seat storage was fine for day trips, & the rack was handy to net misc items too and was better looking than leaving the tbox plate on for when I didn't need the box.

There's been an outfit on ebay selling these racks for the 650 for ~1/2 to 2/3rds of the OEM ones. I assume they've sold a few since they're still at it.

Anybody tried one out?
if so whatcha think?:cool:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I don't think those holes line up correctly ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow I like that, why don't you contact them and ask about install. It almost stands to reason the same rack would not fit the older and newer models though.

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
I think they are nice. I may order one. But the Reaper may be right. The rear single bolt hole seems to be off center, optical illusion? Click on picture and look at this:

Burgman Rack.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
I think that is an optical illusion due to the angle the picture is taken at.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I think they are nice. I may order one. But the Reaper may be right. The rear single bolt hole seems to be off center, optical illusion? Click on picture and look at this:

View attachment 37545
I don't think it's an optical illusion , in fact I read some where a few people had to send them back for that reason . That said there is another one the same style that does indeed fit , I know because I have one in stock . I'm not sure what the problem is , maybe it's made for another bike ? Or some one got some part numbers mixed up or what ? Now you know what I know , which isn't a whole lot :dontknow:

The only thing I would add is before any one buys one , they should ask the seller if that back hole is dead center or not ?

The Reaper!

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
Like I said in my post above, could be an optical illusion.

I will never ride "two up". So I have been wanting to make my own rack that would have a slide feature so when I am doing a long trip I could slide my cargo forward over the back seat some. Then when I need to get under the seat, pop the release, slide the rack back and get what is needed.

But I also have been thinking about just having a custom gas tank made to replace the under seat box so would not need to pop the seat IF I go that route.

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
I sent a question to the seller on Ebay. So we will see in a few days or so.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yea, having more range is definitely needed for long trips. I hate having a 120 mile range. I do like your idea of putting an aux tank under the seat to keep the weight low, although w/ no under seat storage, I might overload the top box, and the weight up high would cancel out any benefits to be had.

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
Jedd, I may be retiring for the second time here soon and I plan on doing some long range touring by myself. I have seen many parts of this world but not much in USA or Canada. Did a Central America trip from Portland Oregon to Panama City, Panama in the 70's on a Harley so no desire to go there again.

A total of 8 US gallons is all that I think would ever be needed. That gives me a range of 300 to 450 miles on a tank. I have gotten from 47 MPG to my best of 58 MPG on a road trip with Daboo.

I also have plans in my head to use two hard cases and modify the mounts, cut the side panels of the Burgman and mount the cases inset and low. ABS is easily cut and heat bent to shape around the side cases. They may not be easily removable but I would also have made some inner bags so I just unlock the case and remove the bag. I would also have a tour bag on a rack like the one above for light weight items. ( See how I got back on track of this post :D )

This picture was posted long time back. Not mine but I like it.

Burgman-Wing 2.jpg

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Dave I agree that's a nice looking scooter. It looks like it came from the factory with that setup. Sure would be nice if you could get those type options from the dealer when buying new.

·
Registered
585 Posts
http://s647.photobucket.com/user/joeblackakathereaper/slideshow/burgman parts

Here is the used one I have , I took a few pics at the same angle to see if I could create an optical illusion . You might have to hit the refresh to get the pics to show large .

TheReaper!
That first pic looks just like the ebay pic - the front mounting bolt position looks off center. Perhaps the seller will change the angle of the pic if he's aware of this.

If someone wanted a rack on the back (I'm no poet!) why not get a Givi or Bestem box with mounting platform? You get a top box and a functional rack too.IIRC the Bestem isn't too pricey. I use my Givi mount for strapping things down - it works great for carrying my golf bag with all the stuff in it - I just set the bag inline with the scooter with the club heads pointing aft. I have a cover that fits very tightly over the clubs so nothing is going to go flying.

·
Super Moderator
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I actually got a decent deal on an OEM one that's on the way at this point.
I thought about just leaving the Bestem platform on there, but I like the aesthetic of the rack. I used the old one to mount my Bestem 929 actually on the old scoot, & will probably end up doing the same on the odd occasion that I need a box that big in addition to under seat storage. Primarily I used the rack for carrying a 1 gallon gas can on for long trips. It brings the range from ~180-200 to 225~250 which was enough to make a difference on a couple occasions when it was a bit longer between gas stations than I expected.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I like the look of a rack and always wondered why aftermarket didn't offer a reasonably priced one like this. I would want to find out about the mounting holes and have the option to return if they did not match.

As expensive as Burgmans are, I am amazed they don't offer a combo topbox mount/rack like Triumph motorcycles and others, to make it so versatile.

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
OK, I received a response from the seller. Here it is:

New message from: chromeplace (23886)

I believe it's due to the image however to have a better answer to your inquiry, we will try to pull and re-image this item to add additional images to our listing.

Regards

http://www.mutazu.com
Please visit our newest website at:
http://www.sfbagger.com
(New items being added DAILY)
510-483-3658
M-F (9 am until 4 pm PST)
Closed Saturday & Sunday
http:/facebook.com/MutazuMotorcycleAccessories

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would ask them before buying to guarantee the holes match or have the right to return. Nothing is perfect but it needs to be very close because unlike topbox plastic you may not be able to drill this out w/o problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with Craig. The angle of the photo makes it appear off-center. I've been toying with the idea of ordering one these and may get one in the coming months.

·
Administrator
18,763 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts