Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Charleston, WV; last week I got a call that my aunt in Lexington, KY had died. My cousin lives in Buckhannon, and was going to swing down and pick me up.

However, his little girl had to go into the hospital to get her appendix out; she's OK, though. However, it meant that he couldn't go. So, I hopped on the Burgman.

Although it was cold, it wasn't too bad until I was near Paris, KY, when it started getting so windy I though I was going to do a Margaret Hamilton impression. During the funeral, it started to rain.

I'll ride in the rain; I'll ride in the dark; I won't ride in both. Called my office and told them I'd be taking a second day.

Next day was clear, but cold. I set out and somewhere I turned left where I should have turned right, and found myself in Ohio. After a little figuring, I decided that the easiest thing to do would be to just go up the Ohio side of the river to Ironton, then cross back into West Virginia, and home on US 60.

A total round trip of a little more than 400 miles; longest trip so far.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Sorry to hear about aunt. But it sounds like you enjoyed the ride. Although not the best time of the year to ride, I bet it was quite beautiful.

I'll use any excuse to ride. Heck I did 325 miles on Sunday just to meet the cable guy at a rental property.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I was in KY and OH, I kept getting reactions like, "You came all the way from West Virginia on that thing? Isn't that just a town bike?" When I told them it was 400cc, they'd say something like, "Really? It doesn't look that big!"

Another reaction was, "Isn't it too cold to ride?" IMHO, as long as it isn't actually raining or snowing and there is no ice, the answer is 'no.' Just bundle up. But I do plan on getting heated grips soon.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Hey Elkhound, I was in Paris KY last summer. Have an ole riding buddy who lives there.
From my place it was also a 400 mile round trip. That's my longest day ride to date. Have done more than 300 several times and more than 200 on a regular basis.

I get the same "you rode that alway from "there" commit a lot. People just underestimate our scoots don't they?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I get the same "you rode that alway from "there" commit a lot. People just underestimate our scoots don't they?
When I told my uncle--no, not my recently deceased aunt's widower, but her brother--I was taking my scooter, he said, "You're going all that way on a scooter?" But, of course, he didn't know it was a Burgman, and when I said 'scooter' he thought I was talking about a Vespa or a Piaggio or something like that.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
When I told my uncle--no, not my recently deceased aunt's widower, but her brother--I was taking my scooter, he said, "You're going all that way on a scooter?" But, of course, he didn't know it was a Burgman, and when I said 'scooter' he thought I was talking about a Vespa or a Piaggio or something like that.
Are not Burgman scoots GREAT !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts