Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2008 400 isn't charging the battery anymore. In a car, I would say it needs an alternator. Is it the same on the Burgman and is it easy to change? Sorry, but really don't know much mechanically about these.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Yes, principle is the same -- did you check the battery itself first?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The first thing you need to do before throwing parts at the problem is to diagnose what is wrong. It could be that the battery is bad, or the rectifier/regulator or the generator.

The generator on your '08 400 though similar in function shares little else with an automotive generator. On the scoot the generator is an internal engine component, not a "bolt-on" that consists of a permanent magnet rotor, spinning around a stator, to produce 3-phase AC electricity. The stator is located in the generator cover, the rotor is mounted on the right end of the crankshaft:

An externally mounted rectifier/regulator module converts the 3 AC phases to DC and by using silicon controlled rectifiers (in addition to the AC-->DC rectifiers) any voltage, in excess of that required to handle the bike's electrical load and charge the battery, is shunted back to the stator coils:

As suggested by Bolzen first make sure the battery is OK, then there are other checks that can be made to test the rectifier/regulator and stator coils. To somewhat indirectly test the battery monitor the voltage at the battery terminals; with the engine running at 5000 rpm there should be 14.0 to 15,5 volts at the battery terminals.

If you plan on pursuing this yourself you will need a multimeter, adn I strongly recommend a shop manual...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I actually bought a new Yuasa battery first. Although it's a 2008, it only has just over 1000 miles on it but still had the original battery. I may just bring it in as it looks like it's beyond my ability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, as it turned out, there was a recall on this issue. I brought it to the dealer and they fixed for free. But now the steering is really loose. Is there something they would have removed to replace the rectifier that could be the cause of this?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
So, as it turned out, there was a recall on this issue. I brought it to the dealer and they fixed for free. But now the steering is really loose. Is there something they would have removed to replace the rectifier that could be the cause of this?
There is no reason to mess with the steering stem when replacing the rectifier/regulator.

How "loose" is it? Perhaps it was too tight and they properly adjusted it while they had the tupperware off...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep, it is a good idea to check for recalls any time you buy a bike or car. You can always call a dealer and give them your VIN.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I brought it back to the dealer. They called me and said there was nothing wrong with it. When I picked it up, it was fine again even though they said they didn't do anything. But in the end, it's fine again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts