Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to hook up a battery tender to maintain charge on the battery in my 650. Do I need to run leads to the battery or can I charge it via the auxiliary power outlet (aka cigarette lighter socket)

I know I would have to get the polarity right but I'm unsure if this is an option I can (or indeed should) take

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I want to hook up a battery tender to maintain charge on the battery in my 650. Do I need to run leads to the battery or can I charge it via the auxiliary power outlet (aka cigarette lighter socket)

I know I would have to get the polarity right but I'm unsure if this is an option I can (or indeed should) take

Thoughts?
May be wrong but believe power outlet only work when ignition on, so that not good for you if that be case.

Best way is connect to battery with special battery eyelet connector supplied with motorcycle battery charger you purchase.

·
Premium Member
14,279 Posts
Cherie s correct. The power outlet is not hot unless the key is on so it does not work as a way to charge the battery.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies, very useful. If there a permanent live connector I can tap into?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
To quote Chérie. "Best way is connect to battery with special battery eyelet connector supplied with motorcycle battery charger you purchase."

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
To quote Chérie. "Best way is connect to battery with special battery eyelet connector supplied with motorcycle battery charger you purchase."
+1

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
What you can do...

I put an BMW style outlet on one of my other bikes. This type of outlet has a better connection (mechanically) than the cigarette lighter used on the Burgman. I set this connector to be always hot but fused with an inline fuse. Fixed up a pigtail for my Battery Tender. This gave me the ability to just plug the bike into my Battery Tender when I pulled it into my shop. It was a pain in the @ss to set up so this turned out to be something I did to one and one only of my motorcycles. I now use the setup provided by Battery Tender on the rest of my motorcycles (don't have the bike I tried using the BMW connector any longer).

So, you can do something like I did. Not worth it though IMHO. All I have to do on my Burgman is raise the seat and plug in the SAE connector (the stock Battery Tender connector) to put my Burgman on the Battery Tender.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky

·
Registered
153 Posts
I purchased extra battery tender connectors and installed one of them on my small boat battery so I can swap between the Burgman and the boat with no problems.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
All I have to do on my Burgman is raise the seat and plug in the SAE connector (the stock Battery Tender connector) to put my Burgman on the Battery Tender.

Namaste'
Doug from Kentucky
Me just let battery charger lead hang off outside side 2-3 inch below seat.

·
Premium Member
4,015 Posts
The pig tails are easier to use and fool proof.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Toa; I have direct connections to the battery terminals. Male/female cigarette lighter-type plugs (available from electronic shops) are a quick & easy way to connect the charger..works well for me. Bryan

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
How important is the fuse in the SAE connector? I have a short connector without a fuse that would work better in my 400 (where the battery is basically the left-hand third of the center glove box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts