Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of 650 burgman non exec. This is my first bike since my suzuki 250 when I was 19. I am 70 now and checking off one of my bucket list and loving this scooter! I got this 650 with 22,723 miles and have put on around 700 miles My question: is it advisable to change to synthetic oil at this time? The engine is tight with no leaks. Would appreciate any advise on this subject and any other tips I should know. Thanks in advance< Stan Bergman

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I switched over mine at 10k with no problem. What year did you get ?

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
There would be no problem in changing to synthetic oil on a bike with 23,000 miles on it. Just make sure to get one that meets standards for use in a motorcycle with a wet clutch. If you don't do that you could end up with a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I run Amsoil synthetic in mine and I've had no issues at all. I think that you will be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks to all for the reply. I purchased 2008- 650 in April 2014. Also happy I asked since I was thinking just to use Mobil1. Need to start thinking in terms of bike instead of car. Any other suggestion for a newbie owner would be appreciated. Just ordered a clearview xl windscreen with 5 position vent. Any other must have adds? Other items I purchased were empire bike cover, horizon hi-vis rainsuit, Accelerator cor/tech gloves, HJC helmet. Stan

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
The oil you use should have JASO-MA specifications.
"JASO MA Japanese standard for special oil which can be used in 4-stroke motorcycle engine with one oil system for engine, gearbox and wet clutch system. Fluid is non-friction modified."
Both Amzoil and Mobil 1 makes an motorcycle specific oil that meets that specification and both synthetic and conventional Rotella meets the specification. I use Rotella while the prior owner used Amzoil. I use Rotella because it is much cheaper and more easily found (Walmart) than the others.

I like all of my adds, see below.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Newbie here, haven't had a burger opened up yet, but I thought the engine and trans/clutch were separate lubrication systems and could run different lube?

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
Newbie here, haven't had a burger opened up yet, but I thought the engine and trans/clutch were separate lubrication systems and could run different lube?
The engine and clutch share oil.

The transmission (which is not a transmission in the sense we normally think of, you don't change gears in it) has it's own separate oil supply.

The CVT which is where ratios are changed does not have any oil at all in it.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I also run Rottela 5w-40 same as I run in my diesel Ford F-350. Don't use the Rotella designed for cars though. ;)

·
Registered
162 Posts
The engine and clutch share oil.

The transmission (which is not a transmission in the sense we normally think of, you don't change gears in it) has it's own separate oil supply.

The CVT which is where ratios are changed does not have any oil at all in it.
thanx :) seems odd to put the clutch in the engine when it could be with the trans....

Meh lots of oils designed for that use :)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
thanx :) seems odd to put the clutch in the engine when it could be with the trans....

Meh lots of oils designed for that use :)

The clutch gets a pressurized oil feed from the engine's oil pump, while the transmission's gears and bearings are only splash lubed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts