Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a friend help remove the rear tire. Brought it to a local Honda dealer to have the Pirelli tire I got from azmortor put on the rim for ~$34, including tax.

Now I feel taller, can lean better, and it cooks dinner too beside preserves world peace.

However, my friend pulled the parking brake (brake-lock :)) cable a bit hard when he removed the caliper. After we put the wheel back on the rear wheel refused to budge. The mechanical side of brake piston (connected to parking brake) ratched forward (closed up) and won't back up.

After about one hour of brainstorming, we finally found that we had to "reset" the automatic brake adjuster. We followed the process outlined in brake pad replacement in the service manual and saved the day. :)

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I hope you have better luck with the Pirelli then I had with mine.
No trouble and a good ride, jut very poor mileage compared to the "Hoops" .
Maybe I was not as careful with the air pressure as I could have been :(

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Randy said:
I hope you have better luck with the Pirelli then I had with mine.
No trouble and a good ride, jut very poor mileage compared to the "Hoops" .
Maybe I was not as careful with the air pressure as I could have been :(
hate to hear that. i thought most of other people had good mileage out of it. :cry:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I am getting better tire life with Pirelli's on my 650. Hopefully you will have the same experience. As Randy noted, maintaining proper inflation is important. The AN400 tires are also different (smaller diameter & bias ply design) so there may be an issue with that series of tires. Even with the Bridgestones, one rider will get 10K out of a rear tire, and another rider only 5K. Pavement type, pavement temperature, tire pressure, riding style, weight of rider & gear, type of riding (stop & go vs high speed Interstate) - there has to be more, but those are some of the things I can think of that affect tire life.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Since were discussing Pirelli's and tire pressure I would like to ask those that have installed them. Ok keep in mind that I just returned to riding this spring after the winter off. I have both new Pirellis front and rear. I have them inflated 33lbs and 41 lbs. Now I have no problems with the rear but I do notice that the front seems way more sensitive than I remember the bridgestones being. The Pirelli front seems to be almost hyper sensitive to handlebar inputs. Very super responsive.......too responsive actually. When I get into high wind conditions it's really noticeable.
So I was wondering if its just me or has anyone else had similar experiences. What are you folks running for front tire pressures. I think I will go out today and experiment running different pressures.

·
Super Moderator
20,092 Posts
allwalk,

I have yet to put the new Pirelli, but I do notice when adding new tires on the front of an auto or truck, the steering is more sensitive untill they get scrubbed in a bit. I am assuming the same may be true for a motorcycle, and one of the reasons there is a break-in on tires.

Just a thought

How many miles have you put on the new set ?

Hows the ride ?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dero said:
Up until recently I had been having terrible rear tyre wear with the standard Bridgestone tyre. Then I read somewhere that scooters generally are hard on their rear tyres because the tyres tend to be shrouded by the rear bodywork (compared to a bike) and the rear tyres therefore runs much hotter than normal. I also remember that someone on this site has been getting tremendous mileage simply by running 41 psi rear pressure.
Before I put on the new tire, I actually deflated my rear one because of the center bold spots. The sides are still new because I was too much a chicken to lean.

The Pirelli does not have a flat center, so it feels more comfortable and assured when I lean to side now. However, that also means the center surface that touches the road will be more affected by the tire pressure.

I will pump it up to 40psi and hope for the best. :wink:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Allan,

I think the Pirelli tires are a bit more responsive than the Bridgestones. I got used to it very quickly though. I do, of course, ride in windy conditions. 25 to 30 mph side winds are quite common here. I've had no issue with the handling of the Pirellis. I think you just need to ride a few more miles with them, after which they will seem normal to you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pirelli tire wear

We have not had very good luck wih either the Pirelli or Bridgstone tires. The Bridgstones lasted qt least 5,000 Miles while the Pirelli has only 2,000 miles on it and it is scalloping The dealer had another tire like this. We are going back to the Bridgstone. Our deler said he would changd the tire for free if it did not last as long as the other one he sold. We are on our 4th rear tire. The 3rd rear tire developed a blow out after 3,000 miles. We had 3 Bridgestones, and 1 Pirelli on the rear, Be sure to get the Suzuki supplied Bridgstone tire. We bought an after market tire and it was so soft the rubber could be wiped off with your hand.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Dan,

Are you dealing with 650 tires or 400 tires?

I am getting very good results with the Pirelli tires for the 650, but another 400 owner has also reported premature wear. The tires are quite different.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
A riding buddy of mine, has been using Pirellis on his 400 and is getting a little better mileage from them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts