Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The scoot only has 3000 miles on it but it was built in 05. The coolant that came out of it was Nasty. Blackish blue colored. I'm probably gonna change it again in the spring just to get the residuals out of it. Now I want to figure out how to drain the front brakes. There are two hoses there.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Slowlane said:
Now I want to figure out how to drain the front brakes. There are two hoses there.
One is connected to the right-hand brake lever...for single brake operation.
The other is connected to the left-hand brake lever, & is part of the front/rear
dual-brake system.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
The pre'07 Burgs do not have a linked brake system, at least my '05 does not. :?

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Wes_Ingram said:
The pre'07 Burgs do not have a linked brake system, at least my '05 does not. :?
That's odd...my '05 400 does...got mine brand new on June 18, 2005.
It has had linked brakes since I got it...only .03 miles on the Odometer
Right handbrake lever operates the larger piston in the Front caliper,
& the Left brake lever operates the Rear caliper AND the smaller
piston in the Front caliper. 2 separate hoses attached to the Front caliper.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 2006 400 Burgman has 2 brake hoses in the front. I now understand the "linked" concept of the left brake lever working both brakes. It is also clear to me now that I can bleed any one of them one at a time and be fine. Thanks for clearing up the "linked" stuff. Slowlane

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Wes_Ingram said:
Wrong!
All 2005's Suzuki 400's front brakes were linked. Are you sure yours is not a 2004 Wes?

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Nope, it's an '05, but dummy (me) went and looked at it again and I was wrong, there are 2 hoses to the front brake. The owners manual makes no mention of that feature, I would think it would have some sort of a mention. Honda seems to like to brag about their scoots having linked brakes.
Hey, that's why it is a wonderful world, you can learn something new every day! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I originally didn't think I'd like the linked brakes having never had them before but now I rather like them.
It is so subtle that it is hard to notice but it does not sit the rear down as hard when using the rear brake only and is ratio'ed out well with the front.
I've locked up the front tire but never the rear tire on my Scoot.....kinda an ABS for the rear. 8)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any front brake activity in a curve with sand or gravel just dont sit right with me. Might want to start a thread on this just to see if anyone has had problems with the front locking up in a turn with rear brake only applied. Hummm

1 - 9 of 9 Posts