Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's get rid of that gear driven final drive on the AN650 and replace it with a belt drive.

It's quieter.

It's maintenance free.

It's cheaper to produce (maybe you could lower the price??).

It's quieter.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Never fix what isn't broken. The present system works fine & there have been no problems so leave it alone!

Butch

·
Registered
611 Posts
I like the current system much better than any belt or chain drive I've ever had. I would be interested in a shaft system - but I think the gear drive is probably just as good as any shaft system.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I don't know quite what to make of the original poster's assertion that a belt final drive would be maintenance free. From my experience, belts have a service life and are to be replaced at specified intervals.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
If all I ever have to do is replace gear lube, then I'll keep the gear drive.
Sooner or later a belt would need replacing.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For once I agree with the masses on this one. Talking to a Suzuki Dealer who also sells the Victory line says that a stone thrown into the belt mechanism can damage the belt enough to have to replace it. Gear Oil is a lot easier to deal with. A belt might make the back wheel easier to remove but I don't do that anyway. :dontknow:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Butch said:
Never fix what isn't broken. The present system works fine & there have been no problems so leave it alone!
Actually, that's not true. I had a catastrophic failure of the final drive on my 2003 650, and when I bought a replacement on eBay, I was bidding against another guy who'd had the same problem. I'd go for a chain or belt final drive in an instant. A chain running in an enclosed oil bath would last forever, and would probably be lighter.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I prefer the gears as well. All the scooters I've had before the 650 had belts and they needed replacing, as did the roller kits, quite often in as little as 3000 miles. The 650 gears are well proven by now, and I personally love the turbine-like sound they make.

·
Registered
101 Posts
It sounds like the gear-drive is a clear winner... If it were ever changed, however, I've had excellent experience with shaft-drive motorcycles and wouldn't mind seeing that offered. I don't expect any problems with the current gear-drive though.

·
Registered
506 Posts
...everytime you mesh/unmesh a gearset you lose a little horsepower, same everytime you turn a bearing. I think Suz engineers use of a 5-gear train to reach the rear wheel is very odd, ....possibly a last-resort solution to some design trap they found themselves in, and would like to hear their explanation.

After a long run, feel that box-of-gears for heat. If it's warm/hot, some of your engine ponies never made it to the road.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
I am open to another setup, but at least when I go on a long trip I don't have to pack any extra gears to replace. Catastrophic failures are rare. Just because I had a catastrophic electrical short doesn't mean that I want Suzuki to eliminate all wires and go with vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I would vote for shaft drive before a belt or chain, if the rear drive HAD to be replaced.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.