Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a unusual topic as Burgmans do not have chain drives, but wait, Trinity Trikes now have a chain drive. My early version has a chain that uses a half link, a part that most people give me a blank stare. Well mine does. When a new chain is installed it's nice and tight. My latest chain has stretched quite a bit and I believe that I could remove the half link. However, a question comes to mind and maybe some here had chain driven machines. Anyways, when a chain stretches there must be a change in distance between pins. Does this do anything, wear wise, to the sprockets? Should a chain be changed when it stretches or should just keep driving it and wait for failure??

And I know that all chains stretch,but is it metal stretching or wear on the pin holes.

By the way, Trinity eliminated the half link by moving the back sprocket/axle forward about 3/8 inch to eliminate the half link.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Generally speaking, most chains will stretch by about 80% of all they will ever do within the first month of use.

Tension correctly after that, properly lube, and check tension periodically then an uneventful life of the cahin can be had. Excactly what extent of stretch will be encountered, and where this will take place will depend on the chain construction tytpe, and the type of use it's put to (i.e. sudden, violent snatches will affect the chain stretch and life more than gentle application of drive).

As for the chain, sprocket wear will depend more upon the type of use it's put to than anything else. Gradual, gentle application of drive will cause much less wear than sudden, severe application. Likewise, sprockets on a well tensioned chain will sufer less wear than one which is excessively loose, or excessively tight.

You should definitely be able to remove the half-link to remove excessive slack, but if the chain is properly sized (half-link or not) for the job, there should be sufficient adjustment available to achieve correct tension without having to remove links (or half-links). Having to do so is in an indicator that the system hasn't been engineered correctly for the stresses it will be put under.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
The chain pitch gets longer as the pinned joinings wear, this will chew up the sprockets if the wear become excessive. A quick check we did in industrial application was to lay out the chain and press the all links together toward one another. Then keep one end fixed and pull on the other--if the length "grows" by more than one pin diameter in 100 links, then the chain is due for replacement.

As stated above, the need for an offset-link is indicative of poor engineering. Nonetheless, if you need to use one a 2-pitch link is preferable to the single pitch style as the press fit pin in the offset increases it rigidity:

A single pitch offset reduces the chain's fatigue strength by 35%, the double pitch offset does not appreciably reduce the chain's strength.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

The chain only has 65 links. Not really poor engineering. The original drive was with a belt. Turns out that the belt didn't hold up as was expected and was noisy. The change to sprockets and chain still had to to be fit to the original axle and the position of the axle on the original side plates. There were a number of trikes out there that had to have this accommodation (half link) to make it work. The kits that came out later were changed to allow a even number of links. Has this been a problem for me? No, I just got some extra half links to go with the chains I have made up. The last chain had almost 10,000 miles on it and I only changed it because I was making a long trip.

Cliff, I am planning on looking up Diamond Chains that you had in your post.

I still love my trike and have over 14,000 miles on it. Just made a trip to Western Louisiana (almost 500 miles each way) and the only issue was my rear end. I stopped and walked around about every 50 miles.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts