Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not weak, but man I'm having trouble putting the bike on the center stand by myself. Anyone have any tips?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I hold left grip with left hand, left passenger handle with right hand, stepping down with right foot on center stand, release left brake and as I lift with right hand put more weight on center stand foot and she pops right up (for me).

·
Registered
409 Posts
The only thing I'll add to Stu is that when you are pushing down on the centerstand, rock the bike till you feel both feet of the stand on the ground. Then push down hard with your foot

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just as Edwljoseph says, but, rather than merely pushing down with your right foot, actually step on to it - exactly as you would do if it were the first step of a flight of stairs, lifting your left foot off the ground, thereby transferring all your body weight on to the stand pedal. The whole plot then zooms up on to the centrestand like a good 'un. In other words, the secret to the excercise is being prepared to commit to the excercise rather than being too timid, in the expectation of dropping the bike - you won't - you're merely operating within the design parameters of the machine.

·
Registered
572 Posts
hatman said:
lifting your left foot off the ground, thereby transferring all your body weight on to the stand pedal.
When I first got the Burg I thought it was difficult, too, but I guess with practice, it now seems really easy. In addition to doing the above, I give the bike a slight pull backwards, and use the momentum to help put it on the centerstand. That way, I don't have to stand with my entire weight on it. The bike's not going straight back and it's not going up vertically. I picture a 1/4 circle.

Oh, BTW, make sure you release the brakes before you do this--it's much easier (don't ask me how I know :oops:).

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
The first time I tried to get my Lardy up on the centerstand, I would have said it was impossible. The second attempt (another day), I got it up, but only through sheer will & determination. The third time I tried it, it went right up and acted like it had never been a problem.

I'm still not clear enough on the technique involved that I could describe it for you, but the first time you get it up will answer a lot of questions in your own mind. After that, it just seems to get easier every time.

Don't give up! It is possible!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just posted this response to a similar question elsewhere in the Forum. My wife and I just bought two 650s, and both of us being small(wife is past 50 and maybe 135 lbs) we expressed concern to the salesman about getting them on the center stand. We have several other bikes, and have always had trouble with center stands. He told us that the mistake that we, and almost everyone else, made was trying to rock the bike back and up. Rather, with your weight on the center stand foot pad and the bike centered on both legs of the stand, lift STRAIGHT UP on the hand rails without rocking back. The bike will pop right up. My wife could do it once shown that technique. It is still heavy for her, but no longer impossible. We tried it on a couple of the other bikes once we got home, and it works like a charm on them as well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
blackskies said:
I'm not weak, but man I'm having trouble putting the bike on the center stand by myself. Anyone have any tips?
Others have offered good and sound advice re: placing the scoot on the center stand. Here's another comment. While I find that placing the AN650 on the center stand is easier than most once one gets the hang of it, getting the AN 650 off the center stand is more difficult than even some much larger and heavier machines. I think the center stand is mounted to the frame about 1/2 to 3/4" too far to the rear. The mounting also makes it very difficult to unload the front wheel to clean it.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
Over the years when I had my dealership, I instructed countless new riders on centre stand deployment. It's much harder to write than it is to show but I'll have a go. I start with the bike on the side stand. I stand facing the bike with my left foot just aft of the side stand and my right near the centre stand. I hold the left grip with my left hand and the grab bar with my right. Using my hands, I straighten the bike up. I then press the centre stand down with my right foot and make sure by feel that both feet of the stand have solid contact with the floor. I then push down and toward the rear, firmly with my right foot, doing no lifting, pushing or pulling with my hands. The bike rocks easily onto the centre stand. I prolly have an advantage being 6 foot tall but at the same time I'm over 70 years old and severely leg handicapped. I've showed many small or female or both how to do this trick and can't remember any who couldn't master it after a few tries.

Taking the Burger off the centre stand, I find, is easiest if you do it whilst straddling the bike. I rock the bike backward so the rear wheel hits the ground and immediately rock it forward again and it rolls right off the stand. If you have the engine running and do this maneuver right, you can lift your feet and ride away without stopping. It impresses the gas jockeys.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Wes said:
:...feel that both feet of the stand have solid contact with the floor. I then push down and toward the rear, firmly with my right foot, doing no lifting, pushing or pulling with my hands. The bike rocks easily onto the centre stand. I prolly have an advantage being 6 foot tall but at the same time I'm over 70 years old and severely leg handicapped. I've showed many small or female or both how to do this trick and can't remember any who couldn't master it after a few tries.

Taking the Burger off the centre stand, I find, is easiest if you do it whilst straddling the bike. I rock the bike backward so the rear wheel hits the ground and immediately rock it forward again and it rolls right off the stand. If you have the engine running and do this maneuver right, you can lift your feet and ride away without stopping. It impresses the gas jockeys.
I too like to straddle the bike/scooter to take it off the center stand. My first problem is that the AN650 is darn nigh impossible (for me) to rock onto the rear wheel while straddling the bike. I find it far more difficult to get off the center stand than a K1200LT for example.

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
ben1364 said:
I too like to straddle the bike/scooter to take it off the center stand. My first problem is that the AN650 is darn nigh impossible (for me) to rock onto the rear wheel while straddling the bike. I find it far more difficult to get off the center stand than a K1200LT for example.
I sit on the seat, then kind of r'aar back agin the butt rest, which tips the bike to the rear, then ahead with my arms stiff and she comes right down. Much easier to do than say.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I sit on the seat, then kind of r'aar back agin the butt rest, which tips the bike to the rear, then ahead with my arms stiff and she comes right down. Much easier to do than say.
That's how I get my Sophie off the center stand, as well. Only time I tried it standing on the side, I got to practice picking it up :oops: AND, I had just put my BBQ dinner in the trunk for the ride home :evil: Thankfully, the restaurant did a great job packing it, so I didn't have a trunk covered in BBQ sauce

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
That's what you get for ordering the "extra heavy" BBQ dinner.<G>

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
When I first got my 650 I had trouble getting it up on the center stand; but that's because I was in the habit of setting my parking brake before dismounting. Once I learned to have all brakes off when stepping on the lever I had no more trouble.

I don't like taking it off the stand while astride it. I stand on the left side, with the side stand down, and pull it forward and toward me. It rolls off the center stand and onto the side stand, and then I proceed as usual. For that I do have the parking brake set.

I don't use the center stand much. About the only times are when I'm going to check the oil level, and when I'm filling up. For just parking, I almost always use the side stand.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I use the center stand all the time and everyone has given excellent advice on how to place the scoot on the stand. I am really impressed with how you take off on your scoot Wes from the ctr. stand. When sitting on the scoot in that position do your feet touch the ground?

I am way too short for that manuever. I take the scooter off the stand just like Brian and I am very happy that I always leave the kick stand down. There have been a couple of times that I would have dropped it without the kickstand. I also leave the emergency brake on so that the scoot doesn't roll away from me, which seems to help me. It's easier to do this when you are parked downhill as opposed to uphill :wink:

Evelyn

·
Registered
31,101 Posts
Evelyn, I agree I have an advantage in having fairly long legs so my method may not work for everyone. When I sit back on the seat to my "tip it back and then forward" routine, my feet are not actually touching the ground until it rolls forward off the stand. When I have a clear drive in front of me, I don't put them down at all, especially when I'm trying to impress on-lookers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts