Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I give up. How do you get a 650 onto the center stand?

I'm not a little, puny guy. I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs. and in reasonably good shape (don't mean for this to sound like a personal ad) but, I cannot get the thing up onto the center stand to save me! :oops:

Is there a trick?

Al

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Al,

I get off the left side of the bike, hold the left handlebar and grab the left passenger handrail, push down on the centerstand with all my weight wjile rocking the bike toward the rear. Just takes a bit of practice. The main thing is to put all of your weight on the centerstand.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Al,

Put the scoot on the sidestand (don't set the parking brake - you can squeeze the left brake lever with your hand when you dismount if you wish).

Take your position now. Left hand on the left handlebar grip. Grasp the passenger grab rail with you right hand. Put your right foot on the centerstand tang and just gently push it down until it contacts the ground.

Gently bring the scooter upright with your left & right hands. You can fell when both centerstand feet are on the ground.

Pause for a second. Release the left hand brake if you were holding it. Now, put your full body weight on your right foot to push down on the centerstand tang. At the same time, gently pull the scoot upward & backward with your hands. It will pop right up onto the centerstand.

You are doing most of the lift by standing on the centerstand tang, letting the leverage of the fulcrum & your body weight do the work. You are not straining with your back & arms. Your back should be straight. The rythm of the lift is important for smoothness - and becomes automatic.

1. Sidestand down & dismount. (pause)
2. Take your position - get comfortable. (pause)
3. Tip the scooter upright. (pause)
4. Step down on the centerstand tang with full bodyweight & lift up and back. (You can take your right foot right off the ground if you like - all weight shifts to your right foot.)

Kick the sidestand back up & your done.

This method works for just about any motorcycle too. The AN650 is really a piece of cake. Lord help you if you ever have to put a Kawasaki Concours up on the centerstand... The shape of the centerstand fulcrum is poorly shaped so you don't get good leverage when you stand down on it - ant the beast weighs about 700 lbs - with a high center of gravity. But a properly designed centerstand takes most of the effort away - and the Suzuki stands are quite good.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

Thanks, guys!

I'll give it try. I think I was making the mistake of putting only a little pressure on the center stand and trying to lift the bike onto it.

Al

·
Registered
857 Posts
few other comments...

I think "lifting" on the rear side rail is useless. The Bike is much too heavy to actually lift. But it is critical to hold onto the rear side rail while you step up onto the centerstand with your right foot. You REALLY have to put your weight on it, actually balancing on one foot with ALL your weight on it...Your left foot (mine at least) actually leaves the ground completely. WAIT to do this (lifting the left foot) until you are absolutely certain the bike is resting on the center stand. IT TAKES PRACTICE! Be careful the first few times. I had my wife help me steady the bike a bit the first few times til I got used to it. She thought I was crazy, but understood it after I did it a few times.

I was shocked how much weight it took to get it to roll onto the center stand. I thought it'd be much easier, and thought I had a defective centerstand - too long of course!

I'm 6'2" and 192 (post atkins) and now I almost exclusively park using the center stand. Just feel safer doing so.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Al Davison said:
OK, I give up. How do you get a 650 onto the center stand? I'm not a little, puny guy. I'm 6'1" and 195 lbs. and in reasonably good shape...
Al,

I'm 6' 5" & 225, trained in karate, aikido, and kenjutsu/jodo. Should know a thing or two about maximum effect with minimum effort...

Think I could get my 650 on the centerstand? Nope. Had to have an experienced Goldwinger show me how. Same method as pauljo described.

Now it's easy. Like most things, learn the technique and practice it step by step until it becomes second nature.

And should you someday mess up and drop it, remember what the master said when he slipped in the mud in front of his disciples: "Sometimes even monkeys fall out of trees."

·
Premium Member
2,164 Posts
For getting off the 650 I put the side stand down and leave my left foot on the foot rest and swing my right leg over the seat, is that putting to much weight on the side stand, I weigh 160 lb, I find it easier that way, Im getting stiff i gess. I have no problem putting it on center stand. I have a turntable to turn it around which saves backing it out. Seatec

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I put a 650 up on it's center stand at the dealers the same way I do with my 400
I do it much like pauljo said except my left hand lets go of the handle bar
and "helps" lift from under the front of the seat. (I figure with the foot weight on the center stand the wheel's not moving anyway)

What can I say, it's works for me. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Center Stand Mr. Davison

It is very important that your body face forward when you step on the center stand and not face the bike.......right foot pointing forward and not at the bike.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Center Stand Mr. Davison

rlin22 said:
It is very important that your body face forward when you step on the center stand and not face the bike.......right foot pointing forward and not at the bike.
I face the bike. Always have. What advantage do you see in facing forward?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I went out and took a video of me putting the bike on the centerstand. I grew up with a Goldwing always in the garage, so I never much thought about how I put the bike on the centerstand, as it just comes naturally. But after reviewing the video, this is how I see I do it. If you see me do it differently, let me know!

1. Approach bike with caution. It may be asleep.[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  2. Never wear sandals like I do! :D Always have your heavy duty riding boots on, in case you get your toe stuck underneath. (OUCH!) Been there done that, will never do that again![/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  3. Wear tighter fitting t-shirt, so you don't look like a moose.[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  4. Grab the side rail from underneath in the rear portion[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  5. Grab the left handle and hold brake while positioning bike to prevent it from rolling on you.[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  6. I do face the bike and partly towards the front.[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  7. Push down on center stand until it hits the ground[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  8. Release brake[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  9. Push straight down with all your might on the centerstand whilst lifting and pulling slightly rearward on the rail[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  10. Hold bike steady with handle[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  11. It'll roll back slightly as it moves up on the centerstand[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
  12. Mission complete.[/*:m:3ibz1w31]
That's pretty much it! I let the bike do most of the work for me. If you can get it rolling backwards while pushing down on the centerstand, momentum will carry it right up!

Here's the flicks, should you so desire to watch them. I'm 6'0" and weight 210. Ok, so I eat too much. :)

Enjoy!

Quicktime Movie
http://www.class104.com/scooter/centerstand.mov

Windows Media Video
http://www.class104.com/scooter/centerstand.wmv

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
seatec said:
For getting off the 650 I put the side stand down and leave my left foot on the foot rest and swing my right leg over the seat... I find it easier that way, Im getting stiff i gess....
Since the Burgmans are scooters (no gas tank in front of the seat) I just put the side-stand down, put my left foot on the ground and pass my right leg through the cut-out in front of the seat. Do the reverse when getting on -- or should that be "sitting down."

No need to act like I'm mounting a horse; no need to do warm-up stretches first.

Of course, I have somewhat longer than average legs, so your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Come on now guys!! When I test rode the 650 last week, I decided to try and put it on the center stand, just to see how hard it is. All I did was grab the left brake and hold it, grab the throttle with my right hand, put my right foot on the center stand, and pulled straight back. Ok, I must admit though, I am 6'6, 275 lbs., so maybe that had something to do with it! :lol: This is the same way I have always put my dad's CB 750 on the centerstand; with the exception of not holding the left handle in, just grab the grip and pull. Hope nobody gets mad at me for this! :D

JD

p.s. EAT YOUR WHEATIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
All I did was grab the left brake and hold it, grab the throttle with my right hand, put my right foot on the center stand, and pulled straight back
JD
Are you available for center stand partys :p

·
Registered
925 Posts
Randy said:
All I did was grab the left brake and hold it, grab the throttle with my right hand, put my right foot on the center stand, and pulled straight back
JD
Are you available for center stand partys :p

LOL!!!! Sure, why not!! :lol:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great advice, guys! And love the video (and you don't look like a moose, Rob! Nice legs! :wink: ).

At 5'1", I have some difficulty with the center stand (primarily gripping the bike as you all do) but will practice. Al, one bit of advice not covered above: practice on grass and/or with a blanket/towel on top so if the bike falls over, the damage will be minimal.

Bryna aka Short Woman

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Invincsum said:
Great advice, guys! And love the video (and you don't look like a moose, Rob! Nice legs! :wink: ).

Al, one bit of advice not covered above: practice on grass and/or with a blanket/towel on top so if the bike falls over, the damage will be minimal.

Bryna aka Short Woman
Hi Byrna. I disagree about the grass. If one of the centerstand feet sink into the ground, you've got trouble. If they both sink into the ground, getting the scoot off of the centerstand may be tough. And that centerstand tang needs a hard surface to leverage properly. If you do grass (um,,, that doesn't sound right...) I'd put down a big sheet of plywood first to properly support the stand. But really, if you approach the process by gripping the handlebar and real grab rail, you aren't going to drop it.

A little confidence works wonders too. Just like with the "fixation" thing when riding, if you "think" you are going to drop the machine - you probably will.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Stormsteed said:
JD said:
All I did was grab the left brake and hold it, grab the throttle with my right hand, put my right foot on the center stand, and pulled straight back.
JD, you make it sound like you do this while still astride the bike.. is that so?
Not with the right foot on the center stand.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts