Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, looking for a little info. on a issue that I'm having with my center stand- 2007 Burgman 650. It's hard to get the scoot OFF center stand. No problem getting it ON the center stand, owing to the fact that I'm a large man .... All my weight on it- it's gotta go.
Getting it OFF the center however is a pain.

Is there a way to lube the thing?

Thanks

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
You have to lube it periodically so it will fold back effortlessly.

I use a waterproof liquid lube and apply a few drops once a month.

Kneel down and apply the lube between the holing bolts and the center stand arms.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
the method I have used for the last 3 years is: Make sure the bike is on level ground, put down the side-stand, stand directly behind the bike holding the two pillion grips, push it off the main-stand with your body and gently lean the bike to the left onto its side-stand. This ALWAYS works ok for me, and as the bike is in AUTO at start-up and is on level ground it WILL NOT run away from you.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Keeping lube on it is necessary but doubt that it's what's causing you to have trouble getting it off. I also had a bit of trouble when I first got mine last year. I soon learned to straddle it and give it a sudden, hard push forward so that the front forks actually compress - and off she goes every time. Pushing it gradually doesn't get it done - got to give it a thrust forward with one quick shove.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I use chain lube from a spray can, it works itself in where it's needed.

@Peelbrow: does your method work if the parking brake is applied, or does the scooter stop before the stand is free to fold up?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Keeping lube on it is necessary but doubt that it's what's causing you to have trouble getting it off. I also had a bit of trouble when I first got mine last year. I soon learned to straddle it and give it a sudden, hard push forward so that the front forks actually compress - and off she goes every time. Pushing it gradually doesn't get it done - got to give it a thrust forward with one quick shove.
Agreed , lube will help it pop up once your off but won't help you get it off .
Never park going up hill , and learn to give it that extra push forward when it hits the point where it's almost off . In other words save a little strength to give it that little extra . Parking it on a slightly down hill grade helps a lot .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have no problem getting it on or off, but it doesn't retract all the way up. Gotta get back off of it and just gently push it up. Like there's no spring or something. Does this mean I just need to lube it a little?

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
I have no problem getting it on or off, but it doesn't retract all the way up. Gotta get back off of it and just gently push it up. Like there's no spring or something. Does this mean I just need to lube it a little?
Yepper!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I use chain lube from a spray can, it works itself in where it's needed.

@Peelbrow: does your method work if the parking brake is applied, or does the scooter stop before the stand is free to fold up?
The stand folds back up as normal. With the bike on level ground (as it is in my garage) I never use the hand-brake. The 650 Burgman is hard to push when it is in AUTO, and so it just pushes off the main-stand and stands still and upright ready to be leaned gently to the left onto the side-stand. Try it - you won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It IS hard to push in AUTO, and that's why I try to remember to always put it in Manual before shutting the engine off, making it much easier to push.
Suzuki ought to make it do it by itself.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies folks. Yeah, I can rock it off the center stand. But it seems to me that it ought to come off easier. I used the put the kick stand down and push from the back method on my 400. It worked fine on the 400, never tried on the 650 b/c of the additional weight of the 650. Now that I have a HF lift guess I'll take the center stand off ... inspect it and lube to see if that helps. I reckon it has to be a little difficult to get off the CS or else it would just be falling off all the time:)

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
Thanks for all the replies folks. <<<SNIP>>> I reckon it has to be a little difficult to get off the CS or else it would just be falling off all the time. :)
Yep, it is over centered so all the weight is biased behind it. Try getting it off the center stand while on a deck plate of a ferry. That steel plate is slick. I had to have help and also had to render aid to others when it happened to us.

Reactions: SumoServices

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is what works for me:

Put the kickstand down.
Put your left hand on the left handlebar grip, with your fingers on the brake lever.
Put your right hand on the passenger grab bar.
Pull up and forward with your right hand.
When the bike comes off the centerstand, hold the brake with your left hand, and lean it over on the kickstand.

I saw a video of a guy effortlessly doing this on a Gold Wing, and figured it would work on a Burgman 650. And it does.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts

Put the kickstand down.
Put your left hand on the left handlebar grip, with your fingers on the brake lever.
When the bike comes off the centerstand, hold the brake with your left hand, and lean it over on the kickstand.

I saw a video of a guy effortlessly doing this on a Gold Wing, and figured it would work on a Burgman 650. And it does.
Same here :thumbup:

·
Registered
806 Posts

Put the kickstand down.

Do you ever get the feeling the bike might fall over on to its right side? It sounds scary. I just don't use the center stand, period. When I check the oil I put a 2X6 under the side stand and the bike is just about vertical.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I find to get it off just go on bike and push off, if need to rock your body. It is called a ride off stand. I have always used it that way and have control of bike. Yes if you park up hill it will be harder, scoot up of the seat the push off. Important to straddle bike before taking of stand so you can have full control and not drop bike.
Hope this helps somebody.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts