Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the 650 up onto the center stand is way easier than on my BMW, HOWEVER, the same can NOT be said for getting it back on its wheels. :evil:
I have a pretty smooth concrete floor in my garage and the 650 really just wants to slide the center stand forward instead of coming off of it.
It is also very heavy compared to the BMW when trying to get it off the center stand.
Very easy ON, really tough OFF.
Any words of wisdom here? :)

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
What method do you use to get it off the center stand. I find I can do it best by sitting on the bike and using my weight to rock it forward off the center stand. Never had a problem with it slipping when doing that.

The exception is when I have it up on the bike lift. Not enough room for my feet sitting astride the bike on the lift so I do it standing to the left of the bike. I've had the same sliding forward issue when doing that. What I end up doing is putting my foot in front of the stand leg to keep it from sliding while I lift up and forward on the passenger grab rail. I lift up on the grap rail with my right hand and balance the bike with my left hand on the handlebar.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm 5,9' and they way i do it is as follows:

I stand beside, left hand in the bar, right hand in the back rail, then I put my left foot on the kick of the center stand to make it not to move forward then i push the bike forward, all of this with the parking break on then i just got on.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Fernando..........!!!! Why use that center stand at all if you are having such a problem.???? Just use the kickstand in the garage........

·
Registered
69 Posts
I kind of had the same problem and a buddy of mine suggested glueing some coarse sandpaper (80 grit or lower) pieces to the bottom of my center stand feet. I think you can find self-adhesive non-skid strips and most big box home improvement stores although I'd augment the adhesive with a little dab of 5-minute epoxy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I cut some pieces of an inner tube and glued them onto the center stand feet with contact cement. That kept mine from sliding like you mentioned.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I use the same method as Buffalo described, without a problem.

Having said that, I just use the kickstand (side-stand) most of the time, using the center stand when doing my weekly maintenance (tire pressures, level checks, etc).

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
I put mine on the center stand all the time. I'll start it up and let it idle while I'm suiting up. I sit in the bike, put my feet a little behind, then lunge forward pushing with my toes.

Works really well. Only problem I have had is that I wear a HitAir vest which is teathered to the bike. Yuo, you guessed it. The lunge exceeded the length of the teather and he vest got very tight when the airbags inflated :). $20 lesson on thing not to do on a motorcycle :)

I did have the "can't get off the center stand" while trying to get off a ferry one time. I think I was about to pull the bike off the boat before it finally came down.

But I'm 6'1" and 220# so your milage may very.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
v8eyedoc said:
Fernando..........!!!! Why use that center stand at all if you are having such a problem.???? Just use the kickstand in the garage........
I guess you meant Brian right? got no problems with the center stand ;) :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
fernando said:
I'm 5,9' and they way i do it is as follows:

I stand beside, left hand in the bar, right hand in the back rail, then I put my left foot on the kick of the center stand to make it not to move forward then i push the bike forward, all of this with the parking break on then i just got on.
I use this same method, EXCEPT I don't use the parking brake, and my foot is NOWHERE NEAR the center stand; don't want the weight of the 650 on my toes! :shock:

May I suggest you hold the rear brake lever with your left hand has you pull the bike forward instead of using the parking brake? It'll allow the bike to roll a lot better until the rear tire is down, then it'll stop just the same. Makes it a lot easier, for me, than when I use the parking/emergency brake and try to pull the BEAST forward off of the center stand.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
When I had to do it for a friends 650 I put the side stand out and slightly turned the handlebars to the left.
Then just push the bike forward while standing beside it and it came right off and onto the side stand. I could then mount it and ride away.
The problem I was having was no traction on oily cement but it will work anytime. Mitch has a video on how to do it on his scooter youtube site!

Here is his video on a 400 but it works with the same ease of operation on the 650's too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Hey Guys
Thanks very much for all the good responses.
I have experimented with various techniques and what I have come up with, that seems to work the best for me, is a variation of the video provided by Scootereno.
Because I have a topcase on my bike, I can't do the push-off from the rear method since the case prevents me from reaching around and grabbing both the passenger handles properly.
So what I have come up with is to
(1) set the Parking brake
(2) turn the handlebars a bit to the left
(3) put down the side stand and
(4) stand next to the back of the bike by the gas filler door, grab the LEFT passenger handle with BOTH hands and lift forward.
This seems to work VERY well and makes it a LOT simpler.
Thanks again

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Cool glad it helped!
I prefer to stand off to the side as well even without a top case.:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts