Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, my center stand started getting lazy... meaning it wouldn't come up after getting on the bike and rolling it off the center stand. Had to physically lift it up off the ground with my foot! I sprayed some lube onto the moving parts and that did the trick!

Well that was a few months ago... same problem just returned again.
Is it just me or is this happening to anyone else?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
All that salt air causing corrosion? Might try some axle grease.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Chuck it happens to mine constantly. I have to lube the centerstand quite frequently. It probably wants a different grease than the 3-in-1 oil type stuff I've been using, but there are no grease fittings that I can see. I've tried different oils, but none seem to last more than a month or so.

Bill, no salt air here in the Midlands...

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bill - I'll try some axle grease.
Thanks Paul - thought it was just happening to me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
HI ALL
I had my center stand not wanting to return also and
found I lost a 10mm bolt from the mounting bracket for the stand.
It may be wise to check all c/stand bolts.
L.SKI-650 BURG

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
L.SKULSKI said:
HI ALL
I had my center stand not wanting to return also and
found I lost a 10mm bolt from the mounting bracket for the stand.
It may be wise to check all c/stand bolts.
L.SKI-650 BURG
Yes a couple of people have lost that bolt. I haven't. But when I replaced the stock exhaust with a Remus, the most forward exhaust hanger was no longer used. That is also a mount point for the centerstand. The stock bolt was too long to put back, because the stock muffler had a really thick rubber grommet. So I went to the hardware store, bought a shorter bolt, and a large washer, and that sufficed to restore that mount point. I don't really think that is causing the problem though, because when lubed, the centerstand does not stick at all - it does not appear to be binding. And I did see the centerstand start sticking on another 650 at Scootercade (Doug's), which had no bolts missing, and the stock exhaust in place.

My theory is that the lube (probably more of a grease) that the factory puts in there wears out or gradually seeps out. Since there are no grease fittings, the best you can do is use oil - which doesn't hold up as well to repeated use as grease. It should also be noted that I use the centerstand quite frequently. So it will take longer for someone who favors the sidestand to run into this problem.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sticky center stand.

Hi Guys : I may have a possible solution for the center stand problem. It's a product called KWIK LUBE spray lubricant and is supposed to be a grease gun in a can. It is made specifically for RV's and is used primarily to lubricate the moving parts on the power step found on Motor Homes. I have used it for years and it works very well. these steps are subject to a lot of dirt thrown up by the front wheels. when applied it is in liquid form and quickly turns to a grease like consistency. Hope this may help it's available from most RV dealers. /RW

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Same problem here Chuck. I just oil it on a weekly basis......ok I lied , When it starts sticking or after a rain ride.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, it appears to be a universal problem, at least to those who use the center stand. I feel better now. I'll try that KWIK LUBE spray lubricant that RW recommended, it sounds like that will work.
Thanks to everyone else for posting!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I haven't run into that yet on my 03 650, and I use the centerstand almost exclusively. I don't spray the bike with any kind of water when washing it, and I haven't ridden it in more rain than a light drizzle. Y'all aren't spraying high power water at it when washing it are you? Those car wash sprayers are hard on axle seals too.

If your centerstand is sticking - then I'd suggest you check the lube on your sidestand also. I also recommend you use a marine grade grease for everything - it won't get washed away as easy.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Just a thought but has anyone tryed one of the motorcycle antifling chain lubes? it would seem that the foaming would clean out the crud and the grease would stay put longer and not wash off as easyly Dewight

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
kc4pbl said:
Just a thought but has anyone tryed one of the motorcycle antifling chain lubes? it would seem that the foaming would clean out the crud and the grease would stay put longer and not wash off as easyly Dewight
Hmmm... My V-Strom is a chain drive. It's not like I don't have a can of chain lube handy. Never thought of that. I think I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just lost the mounting bolt also, but the dealer told me it was a 7 mm. Lskulski said it was a 10mm. Anybody know for sure??

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
don fuzzy said:
I just lost the mounting bolt also, but the dealer told me it was a 7 mm. Lskulski said it was a 10mm. Anybody know for sure??
I'll confuse you even more. I lost one as well. I took out the other one and measured it. I bought replacement bolts at the local auto store (Canadian Tire) , and if you lost the same one as me then it's an 8mm-1.25 x 20 mm in length bolt that you seek.

·
Registered
329 Posts
To keep the center stand working more freely, you may want to thoroughly clean the moving parts and lubricate with SYNTHETIC grease. It is much more resistant to being washed away in environments where there is exposure to water splash/spray. Regular grease actually has a soap base and is much more soluble in water. (Try washing synthetic grease off your hands, compared to the regular stuff, and you will see the difference).
This will not eliminate the problem, but will extend the service interval.

·
Registered
224 Posts
don fuzzy wrote:

I'll confuse you even more. I lost one as well. I took out the other one and measured it. I bought replacement bolts at the local auto store (Canadian Tire) , and if you lost the same one as me then it's an 8mm-1.25 x 20 mm in length bolt that you seek.
Don, like Allwalk said, if it's one that actually bolts the center stand frame to the engine block, many of us have lost one on the right hand side. It is an 8mmX20mm, and takes a 12mm wrench. You can look quite awhile on the micro fiche, but you won't find it. Don't forget to put a spot of loctite on the threads when you put the new one in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts