Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably the single biggest problemn I've run into (in my 2 months, 1,000 miles) thus far is women on cell phones. (Yes, women--they are definitely less attentive than their male counterparts, sorry girls!)

I've flashed the Burgie beam at them, honked, etc. I'm thinking about following them to their destination (after they've nearly caused an accident) and explaining how dangerous they (the people) are on the road. But I'm not sure I could always do that calmly--part of me wants to rip the $*#)($ thing out of their hands and stomp it to death. :twisted: (I do know of a rider in Texas who took one from a driver's hand and tossed it down a storm drain. He is my hero. :lol: )

Any calm, more reasonable suggestions? I already do give them a wide berth (increase my space bubble).

Bryna

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Depending on you location and local laws, you might use your own cell phone (after safely pulling over) and report the dangerous individual to the local law enforcement. Currently Tennessee does not require hands free for cell phone use (bill pending approval), but some people have been cited for 'careless and reckless driving'.

For a list of states and their current driving and cell phone restrictions see :

http://www.statehighwaysafety.org/html/state_info/cellphone_laws.html

If that fails ... bribe a trucker to run them over. :twisted:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bill. Hey, if I bribe a trucker, can I request they look like a squooshier version of your avatar? :twisted:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Invincsum said:
Hey, if I bribe a trucker, can I request they look like a squooshier version of your avatar?
Nooo.... That would be waaaay to cruel (even though it is a perfect image of me on a 'good day').

·
Registered
105 Posts
LOL! I wonder if this is a PA specific problem Bryna. Laura and I were out riding the other week. EVERY cell phone user we passed was a women. Four of which came close to clipping us. I pointed it out and she made a face. Then I think she started to notice it too. Is it just that us men have no one to talk to, or that we have more respect for the road and our fellow drivers? The world may never know!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I've read that women are more adept at multi-tasking than men. It's probably true I think. For me to dial a cellphone when driving is scary - I'd rather wait until I can stop somewhere.

But even though a women is more inclined to multitask, the point remains that she is splitting her attention between driving, and the phone conversation. And guess which is getting the major share of her attention... Hint. It isn't driving...

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I once read somewhere that men speak an average of 2200 words per day while the average female speaks over 5000. That may be one reason that women use cell phones in cars more than men (they have more words to use up). It also accounts for the female wanting to talk when she gets home and the male just grunting once he's home (he's already used up his 2200 words for the day).

Remember ... 98.637% of all statistics are made up on the spot. ;)

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
pauljo said:
Heck. A person can use up 2200 words a day just on this forum lately!
A person? Don't you mean 'one person'? :twisted:

pauljo said:
After my long trip reports today I think I've already borrowed against tomorrow's word allotment... :(
And Saturdays, and Sundays, and ....

But glad you did. Keep'em coming (both rides and reports).

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dan et al,

Dan, they were probably the same idiots who nearly clipped us! :shock: Glad you guys are OK. In MSF class last night the instructor noted that the cell phone user gets "tunnel vision", only able to focus on the conversation and maybe the road directly in front of them. And forget about peripheral vision, particularly on the side of the head that the cell phone's attached. :evil:

I've been trying to give them a wider berth. Also, our instructor (Brian, in case you know him Don, he's a great guy) said riders need to get the cell phone user's attention--flash high beams, weave in the lane, honk, whatever it takes to break through their tunnel vision to become visible to them. So I'll try both of these. Jersey's new hands-free law just went into effect and I pray that PA will get one soon. That'll help some.

Thanks for letting me vent and for your comments. Anyone up for starting a "Bail Bryna Outta Jail" fund in case I get into cell-phone-ripping mode? :D

Cheers,

Bryna

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Invincsum said:
Anyone up for starting a "Bail Bryna Outta Jail" fund in case I get into cell-phone-ripping mode? :D

Cheers,

Bryna
I will help out!

Let me tell you a little twist on this same scenario that happened to a person I know :wink:

Basically the same thing happened to this person and all the honking couldnt prevent the cell phone talker from moving over forcing the rider onto the shoulder (rider was expecting it anyways) The driver finally realizing the motorcyclist was there gave the biker one of the worst looks and the 1 finger salute. The rider then deciding that the driver of said vehichle didnt like to shoulder check or use there mirrors proceeded to reach out and rip of said passenger side mirror. Maybe having to repair the mirror will teach this driver to pay more attention to the road and not talking on the phone.

I know what you're thinking and it wasn't me......I swear!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Invincsum said:
Jersey's new hands-free law just went into effect and I pray that PA will get one soon. That'll help some.
I'm convinced that "hands-free" isn't much of an answer. The driver's attention will still be focused on the phone call I think. Perhaps if they "wake up" as they are about to cause an accident, it will help them to react a little quicker - but that's about the only advantage I see to it.

If someone here actually uses "hands-free", and has a different take on it, feel free to comment.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Allan! Glad your friend's OK. :shock:

Paul, I do occasionallyuse a hands-free while driving--only on long stretches of highway, not in high-business/residential areas and then I stay to the far right lane. For me, without the phone stuck against my head, I can and do focus on more my surroundings rather than trying to keep the phone in place while driving, shifting, etc.

However, I don't make a habit of it. I'm a good driver with good reflexes but...If riding is 90% mental, 10% physical, driving a stick-shift in traffic is still at least 70-80% mental so why risk it? I try to stay within my limits. I just wish others would do the same, especially as sometimes their limits are very big liabilities!

Just my two-cents.
Bryna

·
Registered
925 Posts
Randy said:
Hang in there folks another 20 years and we will probably have an implant to replace the cell phone. :(

I could think of one real good place to put that implant!!! :twisted:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Randy said:
Hang in there folks another 20 years and we will probably have an implant to replace the cell phone. :(
Oh goody goody.........

But that will just about double these eejuts processing power then :wink:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oh, yeah, I'll contribute to the Bail Fund. It' such a worthy cause.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Come to think of it. I really hate cell phones.

Leaving aside the morons who use them while driving - because thats a safety issue.
There is also the question of manners and decorum in a civilised society.

Cinemas, trains, restaurants, shops - is there no hiding place from these rather uncultured, self centred individuals who seem to take great delight in sharing their news with everyone within a quartermile radius, the banality of their conversation only surpassed by their eclectic choice of ring tone.

Recently on a long train journey (I was tired and trying to get a bit of shut eye) I got so fed up with this women and her cell phone (she was LOUD- I got up and asked her to make her calls from the end of the car. I do not understand why these people have so many friends and why they still have them when all she seemed to say to them was 'I am on the train' - well whoopee you are on the train lady - so am I and I am trying to rest and enjouy the journey!!

Last evening, my wife and I, went to a nice quiet French restaurant for a celebratory meal. I could hardly believe it when at the next table of 6 diners - the phone goes off and this guy must have been deaf or something because he is yelling and balling down this now overloaded electronic device, as his conversation comes to a close, I attempt to continue my conversation with SWMBO, and he bloody passes the phone to one of his even louder dining compatriots who then continues to maintain the conversation for another 5 minutes. My wife does not allow me to act as I would alone!

I know this seems like a rant (and it is), but if I have a call in a public place the ringtone is set to off and vibrate - If I choose to answer I say I will call them back in x minutes OR I will leave the public area and seek a discreet spot to continue the conversation.

Have peoples manners deserted them or does society need to set some protocol for them :?:

I have lit the blue fuse paper - so would be interested in your views? :wink:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts