Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know several people including myself have talked about installing
a cd/radio player in the Burgman. I went to Columbus car audio and
showed them my scooter. I wanted to put the car stereo in under the
seat but the problem was the remote that comes with it needs to be in line of sight. He said he did this on another bike......takes the infrared bulb
out of the remote control, attaches wires to the remote board and the other end to the infrared bulb...velcro the small remote inside the side
compartment or on top...anywhere convient, run your wire with the i/r bulb under the seat facing the unit.
He said RadioShack used to carry a wired remote extender that would
do the same purpose as what he was doing....I checked with them and
the don't carry it any more.

I don't know if I will have him mount the unit in a bracket ...reason being
I thought I would try to place something under the unit to absorb viberation...sure I can come up with something.
I hope to have it done next week....I'll post pic's if anyone is interested.
He said some of the remotes don't open...he was useing a Sony.

Almost forgot...I am useing 2 pc speakers. They are 3" square and fit
in almost perfect next to the side mirrors on the 650. I will velcro down
and run the wires thru the vent below it leaving some slack in case I need to close the mirrors in. The speakers are Cambridge SoundWorks. Nice hard shell. I brought them to the car stereo shop
he hooked them up to a car stereo...he was shocked at the sound without distorsion. You can buy them for $39. come with a sub woofer that you
won't be able to use. Just so happens I had a set on my daughters computer...that's how i got the idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Looking forward to seeing some pics!

I want to wire up some speakers and run them to the glovebox where I can stick my MP3 player...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Radio

Ok here is the setup I plan to use. Sony AM/FM CD/MP3 model CDX-F5505X player with a wired remote Model RM-XM10. It's a marine style wired remote that will mount to the left of the ignition. I used a set of round driving lights that you can buy at Walmart for $9.99 each and removed the bulbs and installed a set of Kenwood 4" speakers. The mounting bolt on the light housing will push through the vent holes next to the mirrors (without drilling or cutting) and placed a large washer on the back side. the radio will mount under the seat. I have pictures of the speakers, but am not sure how to submit them. Good luck with what ever you come up with. Here is the link to my finished stereo install pictures http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Burgman-6 ... om-install
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Radio

norsmart said:
Ok here is the setup I plan to use. Sony AM/FM CD/MP3 model CDX-F5505X player with a wired remote Model RM-XM10. It's a marine style wired remote that will mount to the left of the ignition. I used a set of round driving lights that you can buy at Walmart for $9.99 each and removed the bulbs and installed a set of Kenwood 4" speakers. The mounting bolt on the light housing will push through the vent holes next to the mirrors (without drilling or cutting) and placed a large washer on the back side. the radio will mount under the seat. I have pictures of the speakers, but am not sure how to submit them. Good luck with what ever you come up with
I like that idea...I went everywhere and could not find a stereo with a wired cord. I think I'll check our local boat dealer. Let me know if you
upload some pic's....would like to see speaker placement......thanks.
By the way...what did you pay for the marine stereo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Speaker mounting

Maybe it's possible to mount small speakers underneath the vent? It would nice to hide the speakers and still have the folding mirror option. I wonder if the slight air pressure I notice at higher speeds can be blocked or redirected.
I'm exploring creating built-in speaker by using the upper storage compartments. I think you can aquire some acoustics by using the compartments as speaker boxes. I would sacrifice this storage area for a better look and sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Stereo

Monty: Go to http://www.crutchfield.com they have the items I listed. The Radio is not a Marine radio, Just the remote. It is the only part that will be exposed. I am Also looking to hook up a J&M headset and intercom system to the radio. I have this already on My Yamaha Roadstar and the Wife really misses the intercom when we are Riding the Burgman.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Speakers

Ok I figured out the picture gallery :lol: I put the pictures of the speakers I made in it. i hope this helps everyone looking for Ideas for installing some tunes on their Burgman. It's in the gallery labeled Homemade Speakers for Burgman. Here is the photo gallery link http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Homemade-Burgman-Speakers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Very inventive

Wow, what a great idea, and simple too! Please let us know how they sound on the road.

I installed a Boss Audio Marine radio, with a wired remote, that I got from this site;

http://www.boatinginteriors.com/pages/752003/index.htm

It' shown in white, but comes in black also. The remote measures about 4 1/4" wide, 1 1/2" tall, and 3/4" deep. It fit nicely on the handlebar cover on the left side, and the buttons are large enough to poke at with gloves on. The LCD screen displays the functions, and you can see it pretty well in direct sunlight. I'm very satisfied with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Re: Very inventive

bwdbrn1 said:
Wow, what a great idea, and simple too! Please let us know how they sound on the road.

I installed a Boss Audio Marine radio, with a wired remote, that I got from this site;

http://www.boatinginteriors.com/pages/752003/index.htm

It' shown in white, but comes in black also. The remote measures about 4 1/4" wide, 1 1/2" tall, and 3/4" deep. It fit nicely on the handlebar cover on the left side, and the buttons are large enough to poke at with gloves on. The LCD screen displays the functions, and you can see it pretty well in direct sunlight. I'm very satisfied with it.
Well they sound good in the Garage. You will not get much bass out of a 4" speaker. I just recovered from one Knee surgery and just had the other knee done so it will be a few weeks before I do any riding :cry: When I get my tunes fully installed I'll post more pic's. Thank you for your comments.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,593 Posts
Hey guys, you might want to take a look at this new unit from J & M Audio. The entire unit mounts on the left bar and is similar to the radio control units on Wings. This small unit has a 40 channel CB, NOAA weather band, driver/passenger intercom and a stereo amp for a Walkman-type radio, all built into the handlebar unit. You mount the speakers and mic in your helmet. Real neat!
http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=24
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I’m in the process of installing tunes on my 650. I have completed the speaker setup (same as idea mentioned in the previous post by Scutour). I have a 4 speaker setup: 2 3½ inch speakers mounted underneath the vent and another two 5½ inch speakers in the upper storage compartment area. I created speaker grills using an aluminum mesh material found at Hobby Lobby. I was able to mold this material over the doors to match the original contour of the doors. I also used clothes hander wire to form the outline and make a bracket to connect the top part of the grill to the dash. Also used black clothing material to hide speakers better. The bottom is attached with velcro. I plan on using the Boss Marine radio / remote (attached to the left handle bar) to complete the installation. I have posted the speaker pictures http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Four-Speaker-Setup.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
gwashington said:
I’m in the process of installing tunes on my 650. I have completed the speaker setup (same as idea mentioned in the previous post by Scutour). I have a 4 speaker setup: 2 3½ inch speakers mounted underneath the vent and another two 5½ inch speakers in the upper storage compartment area. I created speaker grills using an aluminum mesh material found at Hobby Lobby. I was able to mold this material over the doors to match the original contour of the doors. I also used clothes hander wire to form the outline and make a bracket to connect the top part of the grill to the dash. Also used black clothing material to hide speakers better. The bottom is attached with velcro. I plan on using the Boss Marine radio / remote (attached to the left handle bar) to complete the installation. I have posted the speaker pictures http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/Four-Speaker-Setup.
The grills look great. They have a nice finished look to them. Thats how I would do it if I was willing to give up the storage space. How does it effect the rigidity of the dash, since the compartments are screwed to it? I hope Suzuki is taking notes from all of us!! Maybe they'll hire us as a part of thier design team!! :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
The grills look great. They have a nice finished look to them. Thats how I would do it if I was willing to give up the storage space. How does it effect the rigidity of the dash, since the compartments are screwed to it? I hope Suzuki is taking notes from all of us!! Maybe they'll hire us as a part of thier design team!!
You still have strenght from the 6 screws where the dash is connected to the faring and other parts of the bike. Removing the storage compartments did not seem to impact the rigidity of the dash.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
8,078 Posts
gwashington, the system looks great, very clean and looks like it belongs there. What about water and weather? Do you forsee any problems?

I think I would miss the the storage though.

again nice! Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I'm going with the J & M handlebar CB/NOAA, a Delphi XM radio and helmet mike and earphones. My stuff should be arriving today, in fact. Maybe I can get everything installed tomorrow. In the past I have travelled cross-country with XM radio and it is really nice to have crystal clear reception that never fades. Plus, XM is now getting weather and traffic channels for the major metropolitan areas. Cruising into town I can get a preview of what is up ahead. Or, I can drop in on the CB chatter when I want something more specific.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Stereo

norsmart said:
Monty: Go to http://www.crutchfield.com they have the items I listed. The Radio is not a Marine radio, Just the remote. It is the only part that will be exposed. I am Also looking to hook up a J&M headset and intercom system to the radio. I have this already on My Yamaha Roadstar and the Wife really misses the intercom when we are Riding the Burgman.
Thanks for all the info. I went to crutchfield...everything is there. :lol:
I ordered the same sony and went with the RMx4s remote. The remote
you have is SWEET....my budget won't allow right now. My 2 teenage
daughters are demanding on the wallet :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What path to run wire from under seat?

I plan on mounting the stereo under the seat. I was thinking about running the remote and speaker wires under the center engine cover.
Would that be a problem with the heat underneath? Is there a better path?
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top