Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I could get home before the skys opened up on Friday night. I didn't make it. Now I am in the market for a GOOD rain suit.
Anyone have comments on the Tour Master Elite one-piece suit cost = $74.99.

Any other suggestions?

Alan

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I bought the Frogg Toggs 2 piece suit and Tour Master rubber rain gloves. So far, I haven't had to use them.

I had a Tour Master 1 piece rainsuit at one time, the only issue was that it was just a tad too short for me. It felt OK when I tried it on in the showroom, but it was tight at the knees and shoulders when I actually used it on the motorcycle. Otherwise it was a good rainsuit. A good tip would be to try on the rainsuit you want to buy over the actual jacket, pants and boots that you'll be wearing - then sit on your scooter with it on and see if it still feels comfortable. That isn't always possible, but do it if you can.

I also used Dry Rider in the past, but they no longer make a tall size - their production as been outsourced to Taiwan I believe, and they cut back on some of their models. They do make some different stuff for police motorcycle use, and you can find some websites where you can buy it.

The Frogg Toggs outfit does have an optional stuff sack that stows neatly in the tail section of my trunk, and they come in a variety of colors. Let's see... a blue scooter, wineberry helmet, and an ORANGE rainsuit. I'll be a rolling rainbow!

My fabric riding jacket should be waterproof, so in a light rain I'll probably just put on the Frogg Toggs pants - one reason that I went with a two piece.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I use a cheapo plastic two-peice from Rural King. How often will you need a rain suit after all? I've actually worn it for hundreds of miles at a time. I put the hood up under my helmet so water doesn't run down my neck. Works for me. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
A number of years back I was taking the MSF course and it was virtually teeming the whole weekend. A trip to the only place that was open, the local Harley place netted me a quite neat one piece rainsuit in a small stuff sac. It worked well and didn't cost very much. FOr the emergencies you will need it for I think it's perfect. CHeck it out and see if it "suits" you. :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ride every day to and from work (60 Miles RT) I have used the Frog Togs a lot lately. Many thunderstorms and much rain lately in DFW area. These work great in light to medium rain, But I have to tell you that on a bike in heavy rain they just don't fill the bill. The wind seems to push heavy rain right through the fabric. But they are so light and breathable they can't be beat. I will probably just hole up and wait for the heavy stuff to go away from now on. Probably safer that way too.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Interesting report on using the Frogg Toggs. Although I haven't had to rain test mine, I did try them on and looked them over. Based on that, I'm not sure that it is the fabric leaking in heavy rain. I would rather suspect the pass through pockets, which don't have any rain flap - I think they just snap shut. It looked to me like they might leak in a downpour...

The Frogg Toggs were designed for hikers, hunters, joggers, outside workers, etc - not specifically for motorcycling. I don't think they would work well at all on a unfaired sport bike. But on a machine like the Burgman, or a Goldwing type full dresser, where the fairing & windscreen divert some of the rain and wind, I think they are viable unless you get a real heavy downpour as noted in the above report.

But they pack up pretty small, come in cool colors, and aren't that expensive. They were also able to send me a size that fit my tall body...

·
Registered
719 Posts
pauljo said:
The Frogg Toggs were designed for hikers, hunters, joggers, outside workers, etc - not specifically for motorcycling. I don't think they would work well at all on a unfaired sport bike. But on a machine like the Burgman, or a Goldwing type full dresser, where the fairing & windscreen divert some of the rain and wind, I think they are viable unless you get a real heavy downpour as noted in the above report.
I've ridden in Frogg Toggs a few times on my old ZX-6R in the rain. After a while a little water comes in at the chest area through the zipper, so I wish I'd gotten the bibb style pants. Also if you are in the crotch rocket position, the legs of the pants want to ride up above the boot tops.

You can check out their new Elite Series on the Frogg Togg site. It comes with bibb pants, and storm flaps over the zippers. Available only in black because the waterproof material is laminated to the inside of a handsome microfiber shell. Very nice, but I'm going to hold what I've got; with the extra protection and more relaxed riding position of the Burgman, they should work out fine.

·
Registered
793 Posts
wasions said:
I use a cheapo plastic two-peice from Rural King. How often will you need a rain suit after all? I've actually worn it for hundreds of miles at a time. I put the hood up under my helmet so water doesn't run down my neck. Works for me. :)
Back in my day, before your time (cough), years ago in 1998 between
Pinckneyville to Murphysboro Illinois during late June through a hail drencher
that left standing water so deep along 13-127, the rain was warm like
bathwater washing over the engine onto my totally drenched shoes.

wasions, if you're ever in Carbondale, try the DQ on South Illinois Avenue and
sit on the wall and set a spell.

·
Registered
969 Posts
[quote="ajwood] Back in my day, before your time (cough), years ago in 1998 between
Pickneyville to Murphysboro Illinois during late June through a hail drencher that left standing water so deep along 13-127, the rain was warm like bathwater washing over the engine onto my totally drenched shoes.

wasions, if you're ever in Carbondale, try the DQ on South Illinois Avenue and sit on the wall and set a spell.[/quote]

The fact that you're saying, "Back in my day" probably means we're close to the same age. I did a ride very near there (on the DR) very early this spring. No rain though - cold.

I've never motorcycled through Tucson, but I did ride my mountain bike across town and up 'A' mountain last time I was there. :wink:

I'll be looking for that DQ next time I go through C'dale. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry!!

Ok I finally received my rain gear. I bought the Frogg Toggs rain pants.
I also got a Joe Rocket jacket. They both arrived a couple of days ago and ...... IT HAS RAINED EVERY DAY SINCE!!

I really am sorry to everyone in PA this is my luck. It may rain every day this summer because of me. :cry:

I am going to ride tomorrow no matter how hard it rains. I'll let you know how the gear works.

Alan

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ajwood, Back in my day, before your time (cough), in 1979, got caught in an all day rain up in the Blue Ridge. Had a new set of Dry Rider's and still using them to this day. They are bright yellow, thick hard plastic of some sort, but still pliable. Even the elastic in the waist is still good. Problem is, they take up a lot of space. Quite a large package. I want to get something that packs very tight and small...more interested in that than efficiency for use just around the local area. Will continue to use the old Dry Rider on longer trips.

Any recommendations? Does the new Dry Riders pack up small? Any other el cheapo's?

·
Registered
793 Posts
ted clement said:
... I want to get something that packs very tight and small...
I learned (school of hard knocks) that the less clothes I wear in a riding
downpour, the faster they dry when it's over. I'm doing 60 anyway.
And my shirts smell spring fresh. It's probably the ozone when riding through
thunderstorms.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ted,

I had a set of those old yellow Dry Riders too. I used to ride in all weather back then, so I eventually wore out the elastic stirrups that go over your boots. Then I bought a blue nylon Dry Rider Suit. Lightweight nylon - no rubbery coating - packed up a lot smaller. I don't think they make it any more though. Eventually, I bought a Tour Master 1 piece suit - also nylon. Kind of in between for stowing - didn't roll up quite as small as the blue nylon Dry Rider. Somehow it didn't make the move from Connecticut to Nebraska... So now I have Frogg Toggs. Haven't ride tested them in the rain yet, but they stow pretty compactly.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
It rains very little down here so I don't care much about rain gear,
but I do have a problem trying to see through the windshield when it does rain.
This is the first bike I can remember that I look through the shield not over it.
Within a minute I am almost blind, what do you guys do :?:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts