Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding down a country road today and admiring the beautiful view I saw a bunch of cattle sitting under a tree in the shade. Smart animals. It was hot out. I then saw a single one in the sun. Now it set me to thinking. What would you call it. If it was one cow, which it wasn't, you would call it a cow. If it was two you would call it two cows. But what do you call only one cattle???

I goggled it and they said there is no such animal !

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree with calling it some kind of lunch but in the old days it was known as a beeve or plural beeves.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Out in the hot sun? Mad cow.

Reactions: Marv

·
Registered
765 Posts
While riding down a country road today and admiring the beautiful view I saw a bunch of cattle sitting under a tree in the shade. Smart animals. It was hot out. I then saw a single one in the sun. Now it set me to thinking. What would you call it. If it was one cow, which it wasn't, you would call it a cow. If it was two you would call it two cows. But what do you call only one cattle???

One cattle is a cow. Unless it's a bull. I know this b/c I grew up on a farm. We had cows therefore we had cattle. We had a milk COW. And a bull that assisted the cows make more cows thereby increasing the number of our cattle.

The cow in question .... Could be an aside of beef? An grass taste tester? A steak in waiting. Designated driver?

I'm tired. I get goofy when I'm tired. I'm going away now. Yep moooving right along.

Sirkitrider

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
In Aus that would be road hazard....since in many areas the highways are unfenced and you get the "what are you doing here on my turf" attitude from the local walking steaks.

"don't mind me, I'll just move along"

One reason even the school buses have bull catchers....they are on the main N-S highway in Queensland. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
199 Posts
It is true that in English there is no word for 'domestic bovine' that is gender neutral. "Cow" is feminine, "bull" is masculine. (I once worked for a university whose mascot was a 'Golden Bull.' The women's team was called "the Lady Bulls." There is no such thing, really, but one couldn't very well call them "the Cows.")

It is the same with equines in Spanish. "Caballo" means 'stallion,', "yergua" means "mare", but there is no word for "horse."

·
Registered
770 Posts

Err...I might call it "early symptoms of sunstroke". :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts