Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the Burgman 650 is made with catalytic converter or if one is available for Canadian spec models?

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Can't tell ya much scholar except that cat cons are a comin'. if not here in some apps already. My v/g buddy's uncle is working on their development for different MC applications. I hate to say it but I hope they come sooner than later.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
roadscholar said:
Anyone know if the Burgman 650 is made with catalytic converter or if one is available for Canadian spec models?
I don't think any have catalytic converters. However, some of the European models have an O2 sensor on the exhaust that alters FI operation in the interests of emission control. My Remus exhaust (made in Austria) came with a plug to put in the O2 sensor hole. My US model simply had the hole welded shut on the stock exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pete said:
Can't tell ya much scholar except that cat cons are a comin'. if not here in some apps already. My v/g buddy's uncle is working on their development for different MC applications. I hate to say it but I hope they come sooner than later.
Just out of curiosity, why would you hope for catalytic converters to arrive sooner than later? These devices tend to restrict exhaust systems, generate lots of heat and are generally loathed for automobiles. Am I missing something here? Are they desirable for motorcycle use? I saw someone lamenting they didn't have one somewhere else on this forum quite a while back so now I'm wondering.......

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I'll have to double check my Service Manual when I get home, but I think the E-33 model (California) has a catalytic converter.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Silverburgie - like i said - i hated to say it - however - go on a ride with a bunch of bikes and youll realize that they are "dirtier" than most autos. Heck I get with a group of bikes and my eyes have started to water and soon the headache starts up. I'm just thinking of the environment. ... aw dammit wheres that tree to hug :roll: :D

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Brian said:
I'll have to double check my Service Manual when I get home, but I think the E-33 model (California) has a catalytic converter.
Well, I was wrong.

According to my Service Manual, the non-US models have a 3-way catalyst in the exhaust system (located where the flare between the exhaust pipes and the muffler is largest). Just before that is the HO2 sensor.

The US models don't have a catalyst (or the HO2 sensor), but the E-33s have an evaporative emission control system, with the evap canister mounted just above the rear wheel on the right lower frame.

Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Catalytic converters also fail, and are quite expensive to replace. I've been through that on a couple of my autos. I'm not at all anxious to see them show up on my scooter/motorcycle rides.

·
Registered
39 Posts
pauljo said:
Catalytic converters also fail, and are quite expensive to replace. I've been through that on a couple of my autos. I'm not at all anxious to see them show up on my scooter/motorcycle rides.
My sentiments exactly. Plus I believe Burgmans are efficient enough to where dealing with exhaust from them on rides isn't an issue. Maybe with older carburated or air cooled machines. But not with water cooled EFI units. In fact, I've seen elsewhere on this forum where other M/C riders are always wanting to be behind a Burgman during group rides for the lack of exhaust fumes and NOISE. But I'm not a "greenie tree hugger" yet I do not advocate raping the environment either. There is always a good common sense balance between things.
Bottom line: I do not want something to add to the cost of the machine or create more maintenance hassles. Nevertheless, my question has been answered so this is my 2 cents worth and we all know how much 2 cents is worth nowadays.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
I work in heavy industry complete with the fumes and bone rattling noise. The other week I had a bike cut in front of me from a roadside bar and crank it through the gears. This was after midnight when most houses around there were dark. The noise was extreme, unlike anything I have had to experience at work, and I was choking on the exhaust. I figured it would get better when he got to speed, but it didn't. I had to pull off and let the air and noise clear. Somehow I felt victomized, like he intended to make everyone's life around him miserable, and I just lost.

I'm all for cleaning up some bikes, just don't want to have more hassle with mine.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My 1984 Yamaha RZ350's had catalytic converters. They wear out (burn out) faster than normal exhausts, cost a lot more, and weigh a lot more. I don't know about fuel economy or performance compared to a normal exhaust...

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Not sure about bikes, but if I recall, automotive catalytic converters have minimal impact on fuel economy. They sure are better that way than the last few years of american cars in the early 1970's.
Remember those cars with de tuned engines with all those air pumps and other smog controls? I think the standard sized engine in a 1974 Impala was 400 cid, with ridiculously low power output and fuel economy.
I cringe when I remember the 1974 Buick Electra a drove for a short while- between the weight of this beast, and that de tuned 455 V8, I was lucky to get maybe 8 mgp. I think the converters helped in the power and economy area. Probably at the expense of something else.
Remember all the cheat devices sold to get around the need for unleaded gas? And the price difference was only a penny or two per gallon.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Well aren't we all wanting more hp but not willing to do it at the expense of economy or the environment. I gladly make the choice and even though M/C's generally get better mileage than cars or trucks, it hasn't been until recently they been forced to comply with emission standards. In fact, many larger bikes (over 500 cc's) emitted more CO, NOx's and unburnt hydrocarbons that most small modern cars. Pitiful it took so long and I welcome the trend.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts